Wiki Posts
Search

a new low

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
a new low

Yesterday, I was flying back from BWI to PHX and a fellow passenger stole my US Today newspaper. I was putting my computer bag into my seat and when I turned back to grab my US Today (which sitting on top of my carry-on) and put my carry-on luggage in the overhead bin it was gone. Since the flight is nearly 5 hrs and there is no IFE, I didn't read the newspaper that morning...saving it for reading material for my flight. I wrote a name of a company and its telephone number on the cover of section A as well as a Marriott sticker so I knew it was my newspaper.

I think that this is low...have not seen anything like this in my 20 years of flying.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
Yesterday, I was flying back from BWI to PHX and a fellow passenger stole my US Today newspaper. I was putting my computer bag into my seat and when I turned back to grab my US Today (which sitting on top of my carry-on) and put my carry-on luggage in the overhead bin it was gone. Since the flight is nearly 5 hrs and there is no IFE, I didn't read the newspaper that morning...saving it for reading material for my flight. I wrote a name of a company and its telephone number on the cover of section A as well as a Marriott sticker so I knew it was my newspaper.

I think that this is low...have not seen anything like this in my 20 years of flying.
Had something exactly similar happen to me on a recent PHL-PHX flight. Someone just grabbed one of the magazines I put on my seat (aisle) as I was in the process of putting my carry-on bags in the overhead! Incidentally, figure it is someone in Zone 1 since I was the first one to board after First Class was called (the negatives of buying a full fare Y ticket a day before the flight - no upgrades )
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:26 am

I don't know why some pax feel like it's ok to take any type of reading material that they see on the a/c. I can't tell you how often I've seen people walk away with a newpaper or magazine they think they have found in a seat, the galley or even laying on top of my bag. My advice is to keep it in your bag until time to read it.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Rudeness seems to be getting around these days among US pax.

I ran into a rude guy in F Friday on flight 759 (PHL-MCO). I was assigned 3F on an A321, ans when I got into the cabin, I noticed that all the bins on my side of the plane were already filled. No big deal, I figured, since the bins of the A-C side were half-empty. So while I'm putting my bag above 2 A-C, the guy sitting in 2A gets in my face, points at my bag, and gestures with his thumb toward the rear of the cabin while VERY nastily saying, "Hey, fella, you're over there. That space if for my wife." (Yes, he called me "fella"! Funny.)

Note that his wife was not directly behind me, so there is no way that I could have known that he was with his wife. He could have VERY easily asked me nicely to move may bag back so that his wife could put his bag next to his. But no, he had to be jerk about it.

I assure you that if I had not been on a plane, I would have told him off. Instead, I just moved my bag, looked him in the eye, and said, "There you go -- FELLA."
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by tahitigirl
I don't know why some pax feel like it's ok to take any type of reading material that they see on the a/c. I can't tell you how often I've seen people walk away with a newpaper or magazine they think they have found in a seat, the galley or even laying on top of my bag. My advice is to keep it in your bag until time to read it.

+1 here. People (for some reason) seem to think reading material is fair game. I could not start to tell you the number of times a co-worker has taken a newspaper of mine or attempted to take one of my magazines I bring in. And I feel these people mean no harm.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:26 am

Flew DCA-MCO last night...some pax decided to take my position paper for Economics in Micronesia...I don't know who the hell would read that except an Economist =)

Had a great crew up front...stellar for DCA baby!!!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:05 am

Can you believe these?

Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
Yesterday, I was flying back from BWI to PHX and a fellow passenger stole my US Today newspaper.
I dont know if this is any worse, but on a redeye, in was in F, I had a Y passanger steal my free pillow and blanket while I was turned talking to my seatmate. Honestly, I thought that was really low protest of the no more pillows and blankets in Y and very selfish. Fortunately, the FA had another one for me. However, tired and upset, I took it into my own liberty to discipline the passanger...the only passanger in Y with a F pillow/blanket set! A personal with no class or character!

Since we are in the topic of classless individuals on US Airways, I was connecting in PHL recently from terminal C? to F on the shuttle. There was a fairly full shuttle with pax with tight connections (already boarding flights). One woman holds the whole bus so she can hop on becuase her flight is boarding. The individual screams in response to the pax not happy, "DONT BE GREEDY!" Ironically, we were all greedy by telling the bus driver to pull out so 25 people can make their connections, or was she for holding the WHOLE SHUTTLE OF PASSANGERS with tight connections, just so she would have a chance. Honestly, idk what to say nowadays.

Also, a FA in F...had 1 hour of mechanical delay at the gate. FA refused to serve predeparture beverage service! Thats 90 minutes including boarding and 60 minutes with no one in the aisle. Sorry you got an opprotunity to work and make money in this economy!!

And this is enough of my classless people traveling stories!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by CactusFlier
And this is enough of my classless people traveling stories!
EDIT: WARNING WITTY SARCASTIC JOKING COMMENT AHEAD

I blame low-cost carriers for taking the class out of flying and thus allowing/enabling/inviting the classless to fly. You know things have gone awry when these people start flying mainline carriers.

Last edited by evanderm; Oct 25, 2009 at 3:24 pm Reason: jumping to conclusions
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by evanderm
I blame low-cost carriers for taking the class out of flying and thus allowing/enabling/inviting the classless to fly. You know things have gone awry when these people start flying mainline carriers.
haha and apparently one more story...sorry everyone long week up in the air...glad i get three weeks on the ground! Anyways, I was on a flight where F had 5 empties at the gates...Y oversold...(yes, this seems like UA or something with F available and Y oversold...anyways) agent op-ups 5 pax...one boards and acts like he owns US Airways! starts screaming at the FA since there is no room for his 27 inch roller in the overhead bin. Attitude like he brought every seat for himeslf in the plance. Honestly, YOU GOT AN OP-UP be grateful (the wise one knows he is not wise, you dont fly a lot so dont act like it)...I flew more miles this week all in F than i drove in a year...do you see us FFs acting like we are flying in a private jet and own the world!??!! Sorry i will stop posting these, but honestly act classy for once!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Rudeness seems to be getting around these days among US pax.
This isnt unique to USAirways. This is the state of the nation these days. Its not like rude people just congregate to one airline...

People feel they're entitled to things. Whatever they are.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:02 pm

Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:59 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I've seen plenty of classless behavior from people in paid F and elites. Bad behavior has more to do with declining social norms -- and it cuts across the socioeconomic spectrum.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 5:08 pm

I'm amazed at the OP's story...

I mean... do folks actually READ USA Today???

(Sorry, couldn't resist.... Just kidding.. don't shoot! )
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by bkafrick
This isnt unique to USAirways. This is the state of the nation these days. Its not like rude people just congregate to one airline...

People feel they're entitled to things. Whatever they are.
Good point.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by us2
I've seen plenty of classless behavior from people in paid F and elites. Bad behavior has more to do with declining social norms -- and it cuts across the socioeconomic spectrum.
Sadly that's true too. For that I blame society.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.