Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Constipation due to flying?

Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Anyone ever get this? During flights, immediately after, and the next couple of days, I'm constipated when normally, my body functions like clockwork. Is it due to the air pressure?

This only applies on longer distance flights - short hauls (LAX-SFO) have never been a problem.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:25 pm

Somehow (thankfully) I have trained my bowels to not 'move' during flights....That's something I would rather not do on an airplane...I'm sure the person after me in the lavatories appreciates this!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Constipation is usually due to not enough fiber in the diet and dehydration. Flying, especially long haul, can cause people to change their normal routine. They eat differently and don't drink enough water. Also, physical movement actually helps stuff travel through the intestines.

Next time make an effort to eat enough fiber rich foods, stay away from alcohol during flights, make sure and get up and move your body around, and increase your water intake. Chances are this will help tremendously in the way you feel.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by stupenal
Anyone ever get this? During flights, immediately after, and the next couple of days, I'm constipated when normally, my body functions like clockwork. Is it due to the air pressure?

This only applies on longer distance flights - short hauls (LAX-SFO) have never been a problem.
--In addition to the above posters' comments, it could be natural/evolutionary psychology: when youre in an unfamiliar environment, your body feels vulnerable, and when going #2 it is "vulnerable," exposed. I have experienced this as well, even after going upon arrival not mvoing the next few days. good idea to bring some fiber tablets along I think. . . .
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by cloudcuckooland
--In addition to the above posters' comments, it could be natural/evolutionary psychology: when youre in an unfamiliar environment, your body feels vulnerable, and when going #2 it is "vulnerable," exposed. I have experienced this as well, even after going upon arrival not mvoing the next few days. good idea to bring some fiber tablets along I think. . . .
Agree with this. And because doing a "number 2" is really not very pleasant on a flight, I think there is a tendency (for me, anyway) to try to avoid it, which can lead to being "bunged up".

After a long flight I often experience a significant diuresis. Does anyone else have this? I can think of no physiological reason for it, especially given that, if anything, I am likely to be dehydrated rather than over-hydrated.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:11 am

It is only the actual flight that "gets" me....

Once Ive disembarked and walked a little bit (like to immigration!) everything seems to want to work properly all of a sudden!!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:08 am

If you're crossing timezones, I think it also has to do with changing your body's routine. All your meals are being consumed at different hours and your natural rhythm has been interrupted.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I read somewhere that adding a lot of fibre (i.e. taking metamucil) will help with jetlag and I've been doing it for the last year because I've noticed the same effect as the OP. It does help some. I start with a 6 capsules the night I arrive and reduce by 1 per night until I get to 3 and then call it quits. I take melatonin too.

I think it is a combination of all that was discussed above: 1) environment, 2) dehydration, 3) strange diet, 4) strange sleep patterns, 5) air pressure (I get really gassy on a flight.)

Sadly, I've noticed the same effect on North-South flights where the time zone doesn't change and lately, on long car rides, so I'll add another, 6) being folded up in a seat for too long stops things from progressing through the digestive tract normally.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Sadly, I've noticed the same effect on North-South flights where the time zone doesn't change and lately, on long car rides, so I'll add another, 6) being folded up in a seat for too long stops things from progressing through the digestive tract normally.

This has to do with lack of body movement. Exercise will also help prevent constipation. Physical movement of the body helps the stuff travel through the innards. Get up and move around every so often or get on a treadmill before and after being confined.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Looks like I'm re-opening an old thread, but it looks like the appropriate place to raise a similar issue. Look away now if you're squeamish... I get the opposite problem on long flights. A lot of mucous and explosive evacuations of mucous and not much more. Any suggestions on how to prevent this will be very welcome!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Taggsflyer
Looks like I'm re-opening an old thread, but it looks like the appropriate place to raise a similar issue. Look away now if you're squeamish... I get the opposite problem on long flights. A lot of mucous and explosive evacuations of mucous and not much more. Any suggestions on how to prevent this will be very welcome!
Bumping a 7 year old thread is generally considered bad form, not to mention that it is addressed in the Terms of Service.
Therefore, I am locking this one up. Think about the TMI issue.@:-)
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.