Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TripIt Pro - worth it? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Per my note, filters only work if you actually receive the confirmation message.
Yes, but why are you not receiving the confirmation message? Because you didn't make the reservation? Meaning someone else did on their account? If that's the case, you're not going to have the login credentials for the other account, so it would seem to me you're in the same position as with a service such as TripIt. And in these cases, it's a lot easier to get the purchaser to forward you a duplicate confirmation message straight from the purchase page, which would give TripIt the advantage.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
OK, booked a flight this morning, forwarded to Tripit and within 5 minutes, it's imported.

Registered with TripCase and looked around for an email address to forward my flight confirmation. Had to manually create a Trip and then try to add before I found it.

Got a reply saying it would take up to 24 hours to import.

So far, TripIt 1, TripCase 0.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Concierge, Avis President's Club, SAS Silver
How did I travel without Tripit?!

I have been using tripit for almost a year and I can't for the life of me fathom how I managed to keep track of my travel before I started using it!

I fly roughly 4 sectors per week, book 2 hotels, at least one rental car, two airport pre-booked car parks etc etc (you get the idea!).

Previously, I was travelling around with endless printouts, now I just consult the Tripit mobile view in the browser on my Blackberry. My wife and colleagues can also keep track of my movements at a glance.

I am a founder-subscriber to Tripit Pro, and to be honest I haven't got a great deal of incremental benefit from it yet, but I am happy to contribute $49/year to Tripit in recognition of the extraordinary value I am getting from the service in general.

I am hoping that there are great new features to come with the Pro service.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by robcheshire
I have been using tripit for almost a year and I can't for the life of me fathom how I managed to keep track of my travel before I started using it!
I agree with you. Tripit has been a life saver. Definitely can't do without!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:34 pm
Suspended

OK it took TripCase about 15 minutes more to create the trip and populate the flight info. than TripIt.

Now I reviewed the trip info in the iPhone App. Maybe I'm missing something but I go into the trip and in the Main tab, it only shows the first of 4 segments for the flight I booked.

There is a manage tab and that is where you see all 4 segments.

I'll build my itinerary in both and see what the final results are.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
You can swipe the first segment to see the others.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by robcheshire

I fly roughly 4 sectors per week, book 2 hotels, at least one rental car, two airport pre-booked car parks etc etc (you get the idea!).

Previously, I was travelling around with endless printouts, now I just consult the Tripit mobile view in the browser on my Blackberry. My wife and colleagues can also keep track of my movements at a glance.

I am a founder-subscriber to Tripit Pro, and to be honest I haven't got a great deal of incremental benefit from it yet, but I am happy to contribute $49/year to Tripit in recognition of the extraordinary value I am getting from the service in general.

I am hoping that there are great new features to come with the Pro service.
Am a huge fan too and thing the greatest value of the Pro feature is the text messages reminding me to print boarding pass, tell me what gate to go to, update me about schedule changes, tell me what baggage carrosel etc. Worth every penny if you travel much.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt
I love tripit, it has made arranging trips for my husband and me a lot easier, and it's nice to know who is where when. I looked up this thread because I just wanted to throw my wish out into the interether--

At the moment, I'm happy with the free version of Tripit, and use it on the website and my iphone. None of the paid features are particularly useful/exciting to me. What *would* get me to cough up the money would be an improved change verification service of some kind. We frequently book flights way in advance, and then end up rebooking something similar but on slightly different dates. With the way my auto forwards are set up, they all just end up in one trip, so it looks like I'm flying from Boston to London on both Friday and Saturday, for example.

I just wonder how much it would cost them to hire online support assistants that review accounts of the pro folks and make changes that a human could predict, but a computer can't. For example, I add a trip, a line pops up on a website "call center" place somewhere, they see that I already have a trip just like it but a day earlier, and they can either flag for very easy deletion, or delete the duplicate.

I don't know how feasible it is, but our Christmas plans were all over the shop, changing because of crazy cold and snow in Europe. By the end of it, the Tripit itinerary was pretty much worthless. I know I could go in and remove things by hand, but especially if the changes are happening while you're already traveling, that's something that I would pay a bit to have taken care of for me.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
First discovered TripIt when I clicked on their ad while buying a VX ticket.

It's been invaluable- it integrates to Google's Calendar (which means it shows up on my Android phone seamlessly and can be shared with other Google Calendar users) and the mobile site pulls up very quickly on my phone. Between their text-messaging and Google Calendar's Notifications, I'm kept quite up-to-date on everything, including WN's "race-to-the-A group" check-in time.

I'm doing the same trip every week using almost all the same carriers (and hotel and car-rental) so it's mostly a reminder (vs. some who have complex trips every week).
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Are there any Canadian Tripit Pro users? I've been unable to successfully register my Bell Mobility mobile for mobile alerts. Canada is not on the supported country list (so I used USA), but it's not on the unsupported list either.

UPDATE: Just heard back from Tripit Support on Canadian SMS support, who say they "ultimately decided -- based on the time and money it would require -- that we couldn't do it for now".

They suggest SMS email as an alternative, which is slower, particularly if you don't have push notification.

Last edited by antirealist; Feb 12, 2010 at 3:25 pm
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
During a serious of delays, gate change and more delays I was posting in the AA forum when I recieved an AA e-mail on my iPhone vs. when the SMS from Tripit arrived. The net result was the e-mails were about 5min ahead of the SMS messages. But because I have a tone/vibrate associated with the SMS I was actively aware when they arrived.

I have received incorrect gate information from Tripit so I'm now in the habit of noticing the text message and confirming the info via AA's e-mail.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
First discovered TripIt when I clicked on their ad while buying a VX ticket.

It's been invaluable- it integrates to Google's Calendar (which means it shows up on my Android phone seamlessly and can be shared with other Google Calendar users) and the mobile site pulls up very quickly on my phone. Between their text-messaging and Google Calendar's Notifications, I'm kept quite up-to-date on everything, including WN's "race-to-the-A group" check-in time.

I'm doing the same trip every week using almost all the same carriers (and hotel and car-rental) so it's mostly a reminder (vs. some who have complex trips every week).
Subscribed to my TripIt calender in my Google Calender. So I can see it in iPhone.

However, the events from my TripIt itinerary do not have the default notifications I set up in my Google Calender. So I'd have to manually add notifications for each TripIt event or activity.

Tricky thing is, TripIt seems to automatically adjust the time zone for where I am. But in the Google Calender, will the time zone be adjusted as well? Otherwise, no point in setting up notifications, including SMS notifications.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by lettezilla
We frequently book flights way in advance, and then end up rebooking something similar but on slightly different dates. With the way my auto forwards are set up, they all just end up in one trip, so it looks like I'm flying from Boston to London on both Friday and Saturday, for example.
Agreed. My current itinerary shows the cancelled flight from Thursday/Map of Las Vegas then Saturday's replacement flight and another map of Las Vegas. It would at least be nice to be able to delete items from the phone app.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
However, the events from my TripIt itinerary do not have the default notifications I set up in my Google Calender. So I'd have to manually add notifications for each TripIt event or activity.
I find that I have to remove the notifications in google calendar, otherwise I get pop-ups and email for every single event I imported from the tripit calendar.

Did the subscribe to the other calendar work for you, or did you mean the actual import from the tripit ical link?

I tried the subscribe, but didn't see how to get the entries transferred to outlook, so I ended up using the import method, which creates all sorts of problems when things change.

-David
Old Feb 13, 2010, 1:35 am
Suspended

I added it to Google Calender by entering the .ics URL.

Each event if I look at the details show no reminders set.

Maybe that's just as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.