TripIt Pro - worth it? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TripIt Pro - worth it? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
I've been using TripIt for years (mostly free, but upgraded to paid when it came bundled with our corporate Concur package). I find it to be mostly good for my needs -- lots of useful features. The one frustration is the inability to add or import multi-stop tours, but I usually just manually add them as cruises, which is a semi-decent workaround. Other than that, I like the flight monitoring ability and the way I can use it to keep all my trip data in one place. I also like that I can decide whether to keep a trip private (personal) or shared (business).

I'm not a fan of Google Trips ... yet. I think it has potential. But so far it's too limiting. It constructs its own ideas of where I'm going, which may or may not be accurate. And it has limited manual override capability when it messes up, which is often.

Overall, I prefer TripIt by a lot. But keep an eye on Google Trips -- this is an early iteration and I wouldn't be surprised if it improved quite a bit in the near future.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
I have been using TripIt Pro for many years now and think it is worth every penny. The only thing I don't like (and I really don't like it) is the inability to export trips to a file on my computer, except a rather kludgy way of doing them one by one. I have about 175 trips with a wealth of information that I would feel much more comfortable knowing is available to me even if something happens to TripIt.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by mstraveler
I have been using TripIt Pro for many years now and think it is worth every penny. The only thing I don't like (and I really don't like it) is the inability to export trips to a file on my computer, except a rather kludgy way of doing them one by one. I have about 175 trips with a wealth of information that I would feel much more comfortable knowing is available to me even if something happens to TripIt.
I can convert the trips to PDF files using the desktop browser version of TripIt.

That's on OS X, which allows you to save to a PDF file instead of printing out the itinerary.

TripIt (I've never used the Pro) gives you some pretty good printing options so you should be able to save it. I used to print the trips out but now just view them on my iPad, saving paper and ink.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:31 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'm a little disappointed the fare alert doesn't go off more often. Either I'm a very smart shopper or TripIt is missing stuff.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wco81
Yeah but you have to give yor data to google.

I don't do all my bookings thru gmail address.
I've just been playing around with Google Trips. As others have said, it's still got a long way to go, but it looks like a very good start.

Most of my bookings do actually end up in my Gmail account, but for those that don't simply forwarding them to your gmail account seems to work fine.

Specifically for Concur, you can configure it to send everything to a second (private) email address as well as the default company address.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I haven't tried it yet, but...

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/22/pa...-into-flights/

Pana, a travel companion that organizes your plans and sends personalized trip alerts, is now making its app free to challenge rivals like TripIt, Google Trips and others. First launched two years ago, Pana had previously focused on its paid subscription service for individuals and companies needing a 24/7 travel concierge — a move that may have limited its potential market. The free app (ver. 3.0), launched this week, brings a wide set of Pana’s features to those who may not be frequent fliers in need of Pana’s more hands-on service.
iPhone only at this stage, but it looks like they have Android on the way.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Free, automatic check-in for Southwest? Worth a try to me.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I'm a little disappointed the fare alert doesn't go off more often. Either I'm a very smart shopper or TripIt is missing stuff.
This. Not a single alert, even when one flight was dropped long enough for yapta to catch it (maybe a week)?

I'd pay good money for a reliable price alert system. Google flights can't seem to send alerts to my non-gmail email (fastmail.fm , reliable in every other respect. Yapta often takes many days to run an update. And now Tripit doesn't seem able to do the job.

Would appreciate any suggestions for fixes or good alternatives.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
It seems TripIt Pro gets worse and worse. Both in terms of additional perks (lost Regus Gold) and in terms of functionality. This year SMS notifications stopped working properly. Check-in links in e-mail notifications never work, support never cares to fix these. Parsing of hotels confirmations is never fixed either even after bug-reporting – it either works or not.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I wonder what their conversion rate is from the free to the paid accounts.

TripIt, basic or Pro, may not be long for this world.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm far from thrilled with TripIt Pro either. The latest thing to give me grief is the app's inability to display notes in their entirety on Android devices.

I find their support staff reply very quickly (within 24 hours) but agree that there are a lot of pitfalls.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I'm really curious about the future as well. I get emails back when I send feedback, but actual product development seems absent. Maybe it's all on the concur side of things?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

Tripit Pro saved a trip for us this week. We were flying SAN-SFO-int'l, with a 2 1/2 hour layover in SFO. 4 1/2 hours in advance of flight time I got a notice that the flight was delayed more than 2 hours, leaving a 23 minute connection. I quickly called United, got on their flight leaving in 2 hours, grabbed our luggage and headed to the airport. United sent no notice of the delayed flight. I shudder to think when and how we would have made it to Europe if it hadn't been for that Tripit text.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
United sent no notice of the delayed flight. I shudder to think when and how we would have made it to Europe if it hadn't been for that Tripit text.
The United App is pretty good at delay notifications, but you need to enable them for each and every flight which is annoying - plus you can't do that until a few days before your flight.

As far as alternatives to TripIt, I've found the free TripCase does a great job of delay notifications.

I actually created an account in TripCase years ago but never really liked it. Then recently I discovered that it was automatically populating with trips booked via our corporate travel agency when it started sending me delay notifications for a flight I was on!

In general I don't like the interface and continue to use TripIt (basic) as my main tool for managing trips, but with the auto-population and the delay notifications, TripCase covers everything that I miss by not having the Pro version of TripIt (which I haven't had since Barclaycard stopped giving it for free).

I have found 2 issues with Tripcase. A few weeks ago I was flying Turkish Airlines IST-LHR. A day or so before the flight I received a TripCase notification that my flight was ~4 hours delayed, whilst the TK website still show the flight as being on time. About 30 mins later, I got another notification that it was ontime. Then a few hours later the same thing happened, only this time 11 hours delayed, then back to ontime about 20 mins later. It's certainly possible this was TK making changes, but their website showed nothing through it.

The second was when trying to forward an email for a hotel booking (made directly with Hilton, not via our corporate travel agents) to them. The stay imported correctly, with the correct hotel name/dates/etc, however the address of the hotel was wrong - instead of being in Hong Kong it put it somewhere in Shenzen in mainland china...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:03 am

Any 50% promotion available for the Pro version?
barracuda93 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.