Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
This thread is for ExpertFlyer Information and Updates only (as per its title) and many subscribe to it for this purpose. For other issues, please see the ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread.

If you have any questions about using ExpertFlyer or wish to report any issues, please email them at [email protected].
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:10 pm

ExpertFlyer earns its fee

I've seen people question here and elsewhere the value of ExpertFlyer subscription fee. I thought I would document two cases where EF has clearly paid for itself...

A few weeks ago I was shopping for a New York to Europe flight in June. I had a specific flight in mind and found fares around the $950 mark. But I didn't act. Two weeks ago I decided to buy and went back to book it... fare had jumped to ~$1400. Ugh. United had zeroed out the lower fare classes. Rather than pay the $1400 I suspected that if I was patient they might release seats at the lower fare -- so I set up an EF alert. A few days ago the alert triggered and I went in and purchased the flight at $950.

Last year I had purchased a business class flight New York to SE Asia, it was pretty pricey, fully refundable. I set up an EF alert for the "discounted" business class fare buckets just in case it became available. Remarkably at about 24 hours before flight time the alert fired... I was able to purchase a new business class ticket on exactly the same flights and then cancel my existing ticket... savings in the order of $2000.

Then there are award seat, upgrade and empty seat alerts to which you cannot attach a specific monetary value. E.g. I know that if a higher tier frequent flyer gets upgraded then their nice aisle or window seat at the front of economy will free up... so I put alerts on those so that I can move myself from further back in economy cabin should anything open.

I don't travel nearly as much as i used to, but I have kept my EF subscription active because it really doesn't take much for the $99 to be worth it.

Keep up the good work guys.
Thank you

DAK
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:29 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dkerr
I've seen people question here and elsewhere the value of ExpertFlyer subscription fee. I thought I would document two cases where EF has clearly paid for itself...

A few weeks ago I was shopping for a New York to Europe flight in June. I had a specific flight in mind and found fares around the $950 mark. But I didn't act. Two weeks ago I decided to buy and went back to book it... fare had jumped to ~$1400. Ugh. United had zeroed out the lower fare classes. Rather than pay the $1400 I suspected that if I was patient they might release seats at the lower fare -- so I set up an EF alert. A few days ago the alert triggered and I went in and purchased the flight at $950.

Last year I had purchased a business class flight New York to SE Asia, it was pretty pricey, fully refundable. I set up an EF alert for the "discounted" business class fare buckets just in case it became available. Remarkably at about 24 hours before flight time the alert fired... I was able to purchase a new business class ticket on exactly the same flights and then cancel my existing ticket... savings in the order of $2000.

Then there are award seat, upgrade and empty seat alerts to which you cannot attach a specific monetary value. E.g. I know that if a higher tier frequent flyer gets upgraded then their nice aisle or window seat at the front of economy will free up... so I put alerts on those so that I can move myself from further back in economy cabin should anything open.

I don't travel nearly as much as i used to, but I have kept my EF subscription active because it really doesn't take much for the $99 to be worth it.

Keep up the good work guys.
Thank you

DAK
Thank you DAK, glad we're able to help.

Last edited by ExpertFlyer Voice; Apr 23, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old May 25, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL: DM, 3MM; UA:1K
Delta data?

Any progress on returning delta data to EF?
Old May 26, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Thank you DAK, glad we're able to help.
More than you know... keep it up. ^
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:44 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
At what intervals does EF query the GDS to update award space alerts? More frequently than daily?

Sorry for not reading all 66 pages!
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:30 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
At what intervals does EF query the GDS to update award space alerts? More frequently than daily?

Sorry for not reading all 66 pages!
At least several times a day, more so as the date/time of departure gets closer.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:57 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb DL Award Beta

We have released a DL Award search Beta. There is an in-depth The Points Guy post about it here: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/delt...n-expertflyer/ with FAQs and a DL forum thread on the topic here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-space-ef.html Please email customercare@ directly with any feedback or issues, thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Hi EF! Many thanks for finding and alerting me when my aspirational seats became available!

Now, please convince UA to let you find reward space
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Does EF not show all airlines? Was searching REP-DMK and nothing comes up at all (except the PG flight to BKK). There are 4 Thai Air Asia flights a day.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by chavala
Does EF not show all airlines?
Not all airlines participate in Global Distribution Systems, which are the source of EF's information. In particular, low-fare airlines very often do not do so, as part of their business model.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Not all airlines participate in Global Distribution Systems, which are the source of EF's information. In particular, low-fare airlines very often do not do so, as part of their business model.
Thanks. Good to know.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In addition, Delta have prohibited EF from showing their flights. DL operated flights that are codeshared to another airline do appear as that other airline's flight (with a notation that it is DL operated) but apart from those no DL flights.

DAK
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:24 pm

Accuracy of Expertflyer

Hello guys! Just discovered expertflyer a week ago and started to explore all the options available.

However, I do have a quick question: How accurate is Expertflyer on seat availability on Emirates from your experience?

Thank you!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Alfa_f
Hello guys! Just discovered expertflyer a week ago and started to explore all the options available.

However, I do have a quick question: How accurate is Expertflyer on seat availability on Emirates from your experience?

Thank you!
Average.

I've seen Y in the 9's J in the 7's F in the 4's and the flight was 30 plus over in Y and went out full.

You know its over booked in Y if Y is 0 or just the Y bucket is 9.

You can not account for stand by tickets ie staff travel or missed connections.

Its a guide nothing more.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:35 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Alfa_f

Thank you!
ExpertFlyer shows exactly the information the airline publishes to the global reservation systems (what travel agents use). To that end it 100% accurately shows what the airlines are publishing.

The Flight Availability results show at least how many tickets and airline is willing to sell in each fare class for a flight. It is not a hard indicator of exactly how many tickets are left due to oversell situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.