Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpertFlyer vs KVS Availability Tools

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:41 pm

Expert Flyer banner ads

Originally Posted by scavanger
I have subscribed to expertflyer from the beginning and though I only use it a few times a year for some reason I never noticed the banner ads - for a subscription service having ads is really tacky - but what is more frustrating is that they are very distracting - searching for reward space over Xmas and there's some stupid flashing banner ad at the top of the page - it is enough for me to cancel with them (e.g. I've already removed my credit card number) I guess their business must be really doing well or perhaps it isn't - either way they've just lost a long time customer.
Not wanting to leave well enough alone - there is this from their FAQ page

Is there any advertising, pop-ups or banner ads on ExpertFlyer.com?

-None. ExpertFlyer.com is a subscription-based service supported solely by our subscribers.

http://www.expertflyer.com/page.jsp?page=faq.html

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...r.com/page.jsp

Nice....
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I use both KVS and ExpertFlyer. I like them both but for different reasons.

On advantage to EF is that it's web-based so I can access it more or less anywhere. KVS needs to be installed and it requires a rather specific unlock code. So if my machine crashes or if I upgrade to newer machine, I need to email KVS and get a new code. I find this cumbersome, but KVS is really good at getting back in a timely manner and is quite accommodating of requests. KVS is also a Windows-only app so I need to fire up Parallels on my Mac first before I can use it. This is not a big deal, but it is an extra step.

Having said all that, I like some of the features of KVS and tend to use it as my primary tool.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:09 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by scavanger
Not wanting to leave well enough alone - there is this from their FAQ page
There is no FAQ item that references advertising in either of the links referenced.

I have subscribed to expertflyer from the beginning and though I only use it a few times a year for some reason I never noticed the banner ads...
It's been there for about 6 months. We thought long and hard about putting ads on ExpertFlyer before we did so as we wanted to make sure we could show un-obtrusive, relevant ads to our subscribers. The reasons we decided to implement them are as follows:

- They take up no more additional space on the display then before, there are no ads in the content sections, only in unused space (like the clouds up top).
- There are many other websites that show ads to paying customers. WSJ.com is an example.
- We are trying to offset our increasing costs without raising subscription rates.
- We have continued to bring new features to ExperFlyer for 4 years without increasing our subscription rates once.

...and there's some stupid flashing banner ad at the top of the page
We approve and control all ads individually, we filter out the annoying ones and only show ones that we think would be relevant to our subscribers, if we missed one, then just email us which ad it is and we'll promptly have it removed.

As always, please send any questions or comments to [email protected]

Regards,
EFV
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:37 pm

Clarification on ExpertFlyer advertising

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=U...icp=1&.intl=us

The above link (yahoo cache of expert fllyer) was accessed December 20, 2008 (note: a cache is not static, however screenshots of the above may also exist) Also www.archive.org contains a robust history of many websites unless their owners have requested blockage which is not the case with the site in question.

The text of the above yahoo cache includes the following:

Latest News

October 10, 2008
ExpertFlyer announces the addition of El Al (LY) Award and Upgrade availability.

Frequently Asked Questions
General

We have no business ownership or personal affiliation with any of these sites. We provide the links on ExpertFlyer.com, which appear as a new window or tab, as a courtesy to our subscribers to help them with their travel planning.

None. ExpertFlyer.com is a subscription-based service supported solely by our subscribers.

Yes there is, and it can be accessed via a number of different addresses:
http://www.expertflyer.com/mobile
http://mobile.expertflyer.com
http://expertflyer.mobi
The same search tools that are available on the regular version of ExpertFlyer are available on the Mobile Edition. If you have any issues or questions about using it, please make sure to let us know via the Contact Us link on the bottom of every ExpertFlyer Mobile page.

etc.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Oh I do like a nice partisan scrap... err, spirited debate.

But seriously, I am just grateful that we have 2 such resources to choose from, based on totally different business models and thus competing on value add rather than just on price. Let's not forget that these are revolutionary businesses in the history of travel planning. They represent the crest of that incredible wave that is putting the decision making power into the hands of the traveller rather than the supplier or the intermediary.

Long live EF and KVS! ^
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
This may be a very radical idea - why not the 2 competitors combine the 2 travel tools - is the idea of KVS and EF merging all that radical compared to some of the airline mergers - such as Delta and Northwest; America West and US Air; AA and TWA etc? A single tool with the advantages of both, but without the disadvantages of either tool, would be a very strong customer based tool - and much more efficient that subscribing to both of them (I am talking about time and effort efficiency; I am not talking about cost savings).
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
The two tools are completely different, one provides GDS access and the other provides an interface to pull data off otherwise-available sources. They will not be combined. If you like the different features in each, consider buying each....
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Great discussion. I am sorry I missed it when it first started. I never could figure out what KVS was for, so I learned something today.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
Did i miss something? on EF i seem to not see upgrade tool available for united & Continental. Did they lose those carrier's info?
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by RCyyz
KVS is also a Windows-only app so I need to fire up Parallels on my Mac first before I can use it. This is not a big deal...
It's a huge deal for me. The only way I'll run Windows on any of my Macs is with internet access disabled.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by shadabing
Did i miss something? on EF i seem to not see upgrade tool available for united & Continental. Did they lose those carrier's info?
They DID lose UA, that much I do know.

(Oh, and it's apparently UA's fault. )
Old Mar 21, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
For those of you that are bothered by the ads on EF (and not only), and are using Firefox - the ....... Plus addon is a priceless tool. It blocks most of the adds on all the websites.

I also have to agree with others that for a service costing 9.99$/mo. having ads invade your search is not a very nice business practice.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:04 am

To Mr KVS,

Please please add LX to the list of airlines to work on*A awards.

As a european based guy, IMHO Swiss is THE most important after LH.

Please get it to work.

If you would have a blackberry App for kvs, it would be wonderfull.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:18 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by yesitshere
To Mr KVS,

Please please add LX to the list of airlines to work on*A awards.

As a european based guy, IMHO Swiss is THE most important after LH.

Please get it to work.

If you would have a blackberry App for kvs, it would be wonderfull.
LX award/upgrade availability is coming soon, which will further increase KVS Tool Star Alliance award coverage from 96% (24/25) to 100% (25/25)!

Mobile device access is also coming next year -- please stay tuned for further details!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
LX award/upgrade availability is coming soon, which will further increase KVS Tool Star Alliance award coverage from 96% (24/25) to 100% (25/25)!

Mobile device access is also coming next year -- please stay tuned for further details!
Too many options "that are come coming soon", take way too long...

Cathay results are not accurate. checking the HKG-AMS, its often not available on kvs, but is available via Advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.