Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

TripIT itinerary organizer-what do you think?

Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia

Found this today on one of my favorite sites.
http://lifehacker.com/software/launc...ail-300833.php
So do you think this is a tool you would use to organize your trips?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:34 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Didn't recognise my Novotel booking, and didn't recognise my Lufthansa booking for this weekend for the Yodeldee-Do... Not a good start!

SmilingBoy.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:57 am

I found that it only recognised US-centric hotels / bookings, etc.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
TripIt keeps all your travel plans in one place

I saw this company's TechCrunch 40 presentation and I have to say, it's very cool. Their CEO says their goal is to eliminate the manila folder full of printouts of flights, hotels, rental cars and miscellaneous notes. After watching the demo and playing with the site, I can say that it works.

You just forward your confirmation emails from whatever site to [email protected] and they automatically create a dossier for you. The parse all the data in the mail, and group all of your flights/hotels/cars into a single trip dossier.

You can print it, view it all online in a single page, and view it on a mobile phone. They add Google maps, weather info, pertinent news items, and driving/taxi information from airports to hotels, etc.

They let you do online checkin, seat selection, etc. right from your dossier.

Here's the best part: you can share the itin with other people. You can add others as viewers so they can see your plans, and you can add other travelers as well so a group traveling together has access to the same information, and can add notes and comments for the others in the group. Look at http://www.tripit.com and watch the demo to see how it works.

It's free, and dead easy. I really, really like this!
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Beat you to it alanw
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737222
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Beat him to it TWICE:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737221

What's their privacy policy? I'd be hesitant to foward all this info to them.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:54 am
Original Poster

That is my concern.They have to get something out of this and I am guessing it is your personal info and info on your travel habits.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by alanw
I saw this company's TechCrunch 40 presentation and I have to say, it's very cool. Their CEO says their goal is to eliminate the manila folder full of printouts of flights, hotels, rental cars and miscellaneous notes. After watching the demo and playing with the site, I can say that it works.
I would be really impressed if they would try to parse anything thrown at them. Currently, it seems they only have a few templates, and if you don't use one of those providers, your out of luck. They even claim to support Lufthansa, but they don't, I tried with two confirmations.

SmilingBoy.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I'd love to see the automatic map feature turned off as an option. (takes time to load)
and it had problems with my hertz rental car... but I like it
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Looks pretty cool! I tried it with one of our upcoming itineraries and it worked very well. The Hotel info is booked in bzbdavid's name but I just forwarded it on after changing his name to mine on the fwd email and it picked it up and plugged it in to my itinerary just fine. I think this could be a nice tool to have but I am a little concerned by what other posters have asked... whats in it for them?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:36 pm

TripIt works with bookings from the following booking sites:
Agent

* AAA
* Amadeus checkmytrip.com
* American Express Travel
* American Express Centurion Travel
* CheapTickets
* Expedia
* GetThere
* Hotwire
* Hotels.com
* Hotelsdiscounts.com
* makemytrip.com
* Orbitz
* Priceline.com
* Travelocity
* Trondent American Express

Airline

* Air France
* American Airlines
* Alaska Airlines
* Aloha Airlines
* Air Canada
* airTran
* British Airways
* Cape Air
* Cathay Pacific Airways
* Continental
* Delta
* easyJet
* Hawaiian Airlines
* JetBlue
* Lufthansa
* Northwest
* Midwest Airlines
* Ryanair
* Southwest
* Swiss International Airlines
* United Airlines
* US Airways
* Virgin America
* Virgin Atlantic

Hotel

* Best Western
* Cambria Suites
* Choice Hotels
* Clarion
* Comfort Inn
* Comfort Suites
* Crowne Plaza
* Doubletree
* Four Points by Sheraton
* Four Seasons
* Hampton Inn
* Homewood Suites
* Howard Johnson
* Hilton
* Hyatt
* Holiday Inn
* InterContinental Hotels
* La Quinta
* Luxury Collection
* Marriott
* Quality Inn
* Radisson Hotels & Resorts
* Sheraton
* Sleep Inn
* Super 8 Motel
* Travelodge
* Westin

Rental Car

* Alamo
* Avis
* Avis Europe
* Budget
* Dollar
* Hertz
* Thrifty
I emailed them and got a response right back. They're working on lots more, including being able to read in most PNRs and those Amadeus-style text files that my travel agent always attaches to an email.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I commented on this yesterday on my blog.

I think it has potential, but for me is still annoying in some aspects.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:20 pm

Thanks and thoughts from TripIt

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the feedback and for giving TripIt a try. Im the president and co-founder of TripIt and thought it might be helpful to share my thoughts regarding the comments above

To start, please remember that TripIt is still in beta and has been open to the world for less than a week, which means we have a lot more fun features in the works. The comments we are getting from actual users are incredibly helpful in determining what we build next, so please keep them coming!

Regarding the TripIt Itinerators ability to parse information, we are not yet 100%, but every email you send us helps the Itinerator improve. We started by focusing on the US market, but are expanding this quickly. At the moment, the Itinerator supports over 70 booking services and we are adding more every day. (This technology is very cool, super flexible and one of the things we are most proud of.) The following may be more info than you want, but one challenge we have is that each booking service has numerous formats and they change. Some changes the system handles automatically and some require us to tweak the Itinerator. A second challenge is that email services often modify outgoing emails in subtle ways that people dont see, but that drive computers crazy. Bottom line is today we are very good with the big online booking sites and as we see more volume, TripIt will continue to get better with a growing number of suppliers and travel agencies.

Regarding privacy, I want to emphasize that we take confidentiality extremely seriously. Most of our team has been in the online travel industry for many years (the majority from Hotwire), and we know very well that if we dont treat confidential user information appropriately, we wont have users very long. For specifics, please check out our privacy policy and if you have any concerns, let us know. We want to make it as clear as possible that we do not share a customers personal travel information with advertisers.

To my surprise, we get the question how will TripIt make money a lot. To be clear, TripIt will not charge travelers for the service. Fortunately, travel is the largest ecommerce category and there are a number of proven ways to make money without being in the booking business. TripIt will be advertiser supported and offer add-on services to users in tasteful and helpful manner. Some examples for a hypothetical trip to Boston include:
o Here are a few offers from merchants in Boston you might find useful.
o Youve booked a hotel, would you like to book a restaurant or activity in the area?
o We also have a TripSearch tool that helps travelers save time and search the sites they like best which is a revenue opportunity for us.

In the end, we believe that we will have a successful business as long as we build a service that people genuinely find helpful. Achieving the goal of being useful is where our energy is focused.

Anyway, weve had a gratifying initial response from users in the past week with feedback and suggestions. Were working furiously to incorporate all this into future iterations of the service. If you are interested in keeping tabs on our progress, please sign up for our email at TripIt or subscribe to our blog.

Finally, if you like what we are doing, the best way you can help us is to tell your friends or better yet invite them to be Friends in TripIt so you can stay in touch on the road. If you have any issues with TripIt at all, please send them to us and well get them in the queue for development. I personally read every email that comes in.

Best regards,
Gregg Brockway
President & co-founder
TripIt
Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:15 pm

Welcome to FT, Gregg, and thanks for your thoughtful post. I'm sure there are lots of frequent travelers here who will be watching your product with interest. I know I am.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: NWA PE, AA EXP, SPG GE
sounds very interesting. I'm going to try it for a trip coming up this weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.