When to Go There [weather information for best time to visit]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When to Go There [weather information for best time to visit]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:37 am

It looks nice, but...

I don't see a way to enter my ideal temperature, for example. I know a lot of people prefer sun and heat. I don't. I'd rather chase an eternal spring if I'm going to chase anything - I prefer temperatures from 10-20C.

I also know people who prefer cloud over sun - they react to sunshine. But there's no way to select for cloud cover.

It's a good idea, but there doesn't appear to be a way to enter preferences.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by lmashton

I prefer temperatures from 10-20C.
... but there doesn't appear to be a way to enter preferences.
One of the sites in my collection has filters, letting you set the temperature range, etc. as search criteria. Post #7 :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...formation.html
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

Originally Posted by getmethere
One of the sites in my collection has filters, letting you set the temperature range, etc. as search criteria. Post #7 :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...formation.html
This thread was started by @basil_fawlty for the specific purpose of introducing and explaining their website, When to Go There. Questions, feedback and suggestions are welcome here. However, please discuss competing tools and services in the reference thread.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hi, interested in the 'Weather Score' and how this is calculated.

Reason being that I just looked up Curacao and at no point in the year does the weather score rise above 4 / 10 which seems a bit harsh and gives a particularly bad impression of the place in my mind. Not knocking you, just concerned that without explanation this chart could be rather misleading !
Nice idea to have a sort of general impression of the weather in chart form but it needs to be explained a bit or adapted somehow to make it relatable.

Good luck with it all.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Just updated the site so that it (should) automatically use Fahrenheit if you are based in the US. Grateful if someone could let me know if it works! I will add a manual switch as well when I next get a moment.

Curacao is an interesting one. The reason the weather score is so low is because the formula is taking into account that: 1) humidity-adjusted temperature is very high and 2) there are strong easterly winds all year. The weather score is based on a scoring and weighting system for temperature, cloud, rain and wind.

To go into a little more detail on temperature - the database suggests average highs just over 30'C and average humidity at c.80% pretty much all year round. That roughly cross checks with other sources, e.g.:

https://weather-and-climate.com/aver...uracao,Curacao

Then it is using the Heat Index formula to work out the humidity-adjusted high temperature:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index

... and that comes out to a very high (potentially uncomfortable) number.

I agree with you it is a bit unfair to label it as below 4 all year so I need to tweak the formula a bit. Thanks for the spot!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:16 pm

Fantastic! Copyright/Trademark/whatever you need to do. You will have offers to buy this from the major online web portals.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:27 am

What a nice website! Minimalistic and informative. But, well, as you asked for some feedback and questions, here it comes:
1. Have you looked into tourism climate comfort index (TCCI)?
2. How do you generate the weather rank without considering destination profile? I.e., I'm a ski fan who wants to go to Innsbruck, Austria...and the weather rank is slightly above 3. But for skiing these are perfect conditions. What travellers' segment do you take as a reference point?
3. Have you tried partnering with sources like rove.me and Responsible Travel who mostly provide information on seasonal experiences? I think combining your tool with their content would make a perfect trip planner for tour operators and private travelers.
Wish you good luck with your project and looking forward to the updates!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback so far everybody, this has all been very useful.

After a long hiatus where we were side tracked by another project, there is now a new updated version of the website:
Best time to go for great holiday weather: whentogothere.com

We have squashed a few bugs, tidied a few things up, but *most importantly* you can now search by time of year, and see a shaded world map of places which have good holiday weather at that time:
Weather Map: whentogothere.com

Hope you find this useful and please feel free to pass on to friends/colleagues, we are keen to widen the site's audience now that the key features are in place.

Last edited by basil_fawlty; Dec 1, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:17 pm

Very nice. Thanks for sharing this!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Nice site! I'll definitely bookmark it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.