Show Me The Points!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Show Me The Points!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Show Me The Points! (now in Google Chrome Web Store)

As discussed here, I really messed up during my JB mileage run to Long Beach: I rented a Knights Inn for US$75, whereas I could've stayed at a Hyatt for 12K points that would've been slightly cheaper to acquire.

One of the reasons for my mishap is poor UX experience on the Hyatt search result page: you don't know the exact number of points (aka hotel's category) needed for each result. You have to go in and check the checkbox and then you can learn about minimal amount of points needed for a stay. This process is rather slow and not very efficient.

Hyatt's mobile webpage offers simple checkbox to see number of points needed for each hotel in the mobile search result page -- but mobile experience is quite complicated on it's own, I prefer to do my research behind desktop.

Hotel Hustle does offer combined data but results are partial, not all hotels have points assigned and not all have cash prices to them.

So I went digging. And as I expected, the wonderful people at Hyatt IT department already did all the heavy lifting for me. It appears that the points price is already built in into the search result page, it's just hidden and there's no apparent switch to show it. So I created this "points rate revealer".

What it does: it shows the points rate for each hotel. The rate is based on hotel's category and it's static. This information is already built in into the search page, it's just not visible. So I un-hide it. I think the reason not to show it in first place was real-time availability -- the points rate is calculated based off each hotel's category, it doesn't check is there a really reward room available for that rate. It's quite possible that when you click "Select" and go through, the hotel might be sold out of reward rooms. Sorry about that. Maybe some day I will add real-time availability requests but at this time I don't have immediate plans to do so.

The extension I made contains only one CSS file (reveal.css) with only one line, and no JavaScript. It does not collect any info. I can't get your personal information. It only reveals what's Hyatt website already has, it doesn't add anything else. It doesn't make any requests, it doesn't do anything to your browser or your computer.

You can install it from Google Chrome Web Store.

Send me feedback!
Attached Images  

Last edited by abcpp; Aug 4, 2016 at 5:12 pm
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Now you can install it from the Google Chrome Web Store!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat | United Silver | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | Marriott Titanium | IHG Ambassador
Thank you!

Originally Posted by abcpp
Now you can install it from the Google Chrome Web Store!
I have been wanting just such a tool - thanks very much!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Nice find! Great extension.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Thanks, a good help ^
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:35 am

Thanks! Easy to download and easy to use. Very helpful thus far.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:31 am

this is great! so so clever.

Question for OP: have you thought about transforming this into a bookmarklet? This way non-Chrome users can partake in the fun too.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for warm comments! I'm glad you liked it. Hopefully, we will be able to enjoy it for some time (before anyone in Hyatt IT will decide to kill it).

Originally Posted by awardace
Question for OP: have you thought about transforming this into a bookmarklet? This way non-Chrome users can partake in the fun too.
No, I did not. I'm not really sure how do I modify CSS class definitions using JS (I thought bookmarklet is a JS code?). Of course, I can always modify DOM elements that way. If there would be a number of requests for that feature, I might do that! Thanks for the idea
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:15 am

Here's a quick and dirty JS bookmarklet that injects the same CSS that abcpp's reveal.css does. Basically, the new CSS that you want to inject goes into the newcss variable, then the rest of the bookmarklet code either creates a new style sheet with the specified CSS, or appends the specified CSS to the existing style sheet. Caveat emptor: I've only tested this in Firefox:

Code:
javascript:(function(){var newcss="div.rate_container .rate_amount_points { display: inline !important }";if("\v"=="v"){document.createStyleSheet().cssText=newcss}else{var tag=document.createElement("style");tag.type="text/css";document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(tag);tag[(typeof document.body.style.WebkitAppearance=="string")?"innerText":"innerHTML"]=newcss}})();
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DVoorhees1957
Here's a quick and dirty JS bookmarklet that injects the same CSS that abcpp's reveal.css does.
Nice! I didn't think about *adding* new CSS definition, that's a neat trick! Thanks for the help! Hope everyone else would enjoy your hack as well.

Thank you!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Since Hyatt changed design of its website, it no longer publishes hotel's categories. So I made a change to the extension and now you can see actual real-time points availability for your search.

In other words, for each hotel that's listed in search results, the extension now makes a separate call to Hyatt website and requests points availability for specific redemption you're looking for.

If hotel cannot accommodate your request, the extension will show "N/A" as number of points.

Enjoy!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...knkalgpnapcedh

Last edited by abcpp; Jul 28, 2017 at 1:02 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:13 pm

After the update for some reason it's not showing me the points anymore.

Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Hmmmm, you appears to be stuck with older interface, not the new one. Check the screens in my post -- this is how new UI looks like. For you I think the best option would be to keep 1.0. Point me if you want the archive.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:33 pm

I was thinking that was the problem, I need to get back to 1.0 until I can figure out how to get to the new UI.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Version 2.1!

Apparently, I made a fool of myself by not defaulting to Points rate filter. Fixed!

Alas, now when you go to see rates, it always will be points and never money. You would have to manually uncheck "Show World of Hyatt Points & Awards" checkbox to see monetary rates. Sorry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.