Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Flyover Country

Flyover Country

Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald
Flyover Country

Smithsonian Magazine:
What Are You Flying Over? This App Will Tell You

Flyover Country uses maps and geology databases to identify features of the landscape as a plane flies over them, no Wifi necessary

<snip>

Flyover Country uses maps and data from various geological and paleontological databases to identify and give information on the landscape passing beneath a plane. The user will see features tagged on a map corresponding to the ground below. To explain the features in depth, the app relies on cached Wikipedia articles. Since it works solely with a phone’s GPS, there’s no need for a user to purchase in-flight wifi. Sitting in your window seat, you can peer down on natural features like glaciers and man-made features, such as mines, and read Wikipedia articles about them at the same time. If you're flying over an area where dinosaur bones have been discovered, you can read about that too. Curious about why the river below you bends the way it does? The app will tell you that as well.

<snip>
Available in Android and iOS versions at Flyover Country:
Flyover Country is a National Science Foundation funded offline mobile app for geoscience outreach and data discovery.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Great find!

Great find, thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This is really cool, thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Looks cool! Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:54 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Pretty cool - I'm definitely going to try this on my next trip.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:39 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Cool app ! Considering I have a MSc in geology, I am definitely interested. I am going to try this on my next flights.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
This seems pretty cool, Ill be trying it out next week.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Talk about a bad name for an app. "Flyover Country" is usually a bigoted term used by the far left to belittle and demean regions of the US that tend to hold political views that diverge from the coastal areas. Haven’t checked the app out and probably wont no matter how great it might be simply because of the name choice alone portrays the authors as bigoted. They should probably change that.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Talk about a bad name for an app. "Flyover Country" is usually a bigoted term used by the far left to belittle and demean regions of the US that tend to hold political views that diverge from the coastal areas. Haven’t checked the app out and probably wont no matter how great it might be simply because of the name choice alone portrays the authors as bigoted. They should probably change that.

The name sounds like typical scientist humor to me.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Get real please.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Moderator's Note:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Thank you.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Could someone explain how this app is supposed to work as if I'm a 5 year old, please? Fooled around with this on the plane the other day and couldn't make heads or tails of the entire concept.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Could someone explain how this app is supposed to work as if I'm a 5 year old, please? Fooled around with this on the plane the other day and couldn't make heads or tails of the entire concept.
In the app, a user guide diplays by clicking on the three horizontal bars at the upper left corner of the screen and selecting FAQ/help.

Basically, before the start of a trip, click on those same three bars and select the trip mode, air or ground. Then, go back to the map and tap two or more points to draw the route. Tap "Load path" in the upper right and the app will download the information for your path (with a buffer zone). If you're not planning on being connected to WiFi during the flight, click on "Save for offline" (where the "Load path" button was earlier). You can now explore points of interest by tapping on them. In flight, the GPS should display your location on the map.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Great, thanks for the explanation. I think my problem was not doing the "load path" thing before I got on the plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.