Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Travel Apps - where do you store your stuff? (cloud apps)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

I use wunderlist (now acquired by MSFT) to create packing lists for my trips and am now storing screenshots or articles that I may need on my leisure trips in evernote. I use instagram to post my images. I used to be a big flickr user, but I hate the mobile interface.

I sometimes use day one to create small trip journals - although I still like paper journals.

Everything gets backed up to the cloud - either in carousel(RIP)/Dropbox or evernote.

What other cloud apps do you recommend I check out for travel.

thanks.

lala
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lalala
I use wunderlist (now acquired by MSFT) to create packing lists for my trips and am now storing screenshots or articles that I may need on my leisure trips in evernote. I use instagram to post my images. I used to be a big flickr user, but I hate the mobile interface.

I sometimes use day one to create small trip journals - although I still like paper journals.

Everything gets backed up to the cloud - either in carousel(RIP)/Dropbox or evernote.

thanks.

lala
OneDrive?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
You know you can post to Flickr directly from Instagram and if you have an iPhone (not sure if Android does the same) you can post directly from the IOS share menu.

I use PackingPro for packing lists, TripIt to track everything (trips, hotels, etc). I use my contacts app on IOS to store important things like consulat/embassy, bank and credit card contact data.

Instagram and IOS for Photos, sometimes I like playing with Hipstamatic for different (maybe better) effects and options than Instagram provides for photo editing.

For any sort of travelogue, I just write in a text editor and later add to a blog (wordpress) on a hosted server I rent. I don't write as often as I should though, sadly.

For "real" photos, I use my a6000 and process everything in Lightroom which uploads automatically to Flickr, Facebook and SmugMug. SmugMug is the only one I actually pay for. I used to have a Flickr Pro account but then they removed pretty much every incentive to pay for the service.

Ummm... Google Maps for getting around. Apple Maps is supposed to be a lot better than it was, but I still end up using Google Maps by default. Google Translate is also pretty good. There's also a really nice translator called WayGo that I use whenever I'm in China or Taiwan. It works REALLY well for translating restaurant menus and other things. Google Translate is probably as good now, but I've been using WayGo for years and I like that it will work on Chinese, Japanes and Korean.

That's it. I also like to pick up local subway/transit map apps for places I go, though Google Maps does a good job of door-to-door public transit routing now.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:15 am

I use google photo app to back up all my pictures. It is free and full size (up to 16M pixels) and unlimited. But the best thing is the search feature. It is freaking amazing. I can search for "purple flower" and the picture I took of a purple flower 10 years ago would show up. If I click on a picture of my nephew, pictures of him from 3 to 17 years old shows up. They must have use some kind of aging algorithm to find pictures of him. They miss some and some are incorrect but overall.. very impressive.

It is great for travel too because it will automatically make collection for your trips. You don't have to do anything. It takes all your pictures, GPS locations, and made a travel story. It has point to point maps.. all the places (including names of restaurants, shops, attractions) and interlace your pictures in the book. It even makes movies out of it.

And because it also sort your GPS locations... if you want all the picture taken at Disneyland.. it will find them in seconds. I think it identify all the objects, people, and words in the picture. I could take a picture of a Sign, and type in some of the words in the Sign and it will find it. I could type in dophin and it will find all the pictures of real dophins and stuff animal dophins.

Last edited by Need; Mar 9, 2016 at 9:23 am
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lalala

thanks.

lala
Lists for packing? Reminds me of this. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...ive-chef/n9695

I take pictures with my phone. They go in the photos app. I use airline apps to check. What other stuff would I need to store??
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:20 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
For journaling, how about Day One? I believe it's iOS only, but I use that for my personal travel journal while out on the road and it's pretty awesome.

Photos I take on my mobile devices are stored in Apple Photos and Google Photos (I have both an iOS and Android phone).

Pre-trip notes are stored and organized in Evernote for easy reference while I'm at my destination.

Google maps (duh)

I downloaded an app called Everplaces yesterday that looks interesting - it allows you to "bookmark" interesting places you find as you're traveling (with pics, text, maps). But it's a bit rough around the edges though so I hope it evolves into something more substantial.

Anyone else? I love cool travel apps as well, but there aren't too many really good ones out there.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moving this to Travel Tools...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:23 am

Currency Convertor

There are many currency conversion apps around the world , how much money I should be getting out of the ATM, how much dinner is about to cost me and pretty much any other transaction a traveller could make. Just install the app , search on net and add all of the currencies you think you might use any time soon, and it will take care of the rest.

Rates are updated whenever you’ve got an Internet connection, and you can quickly convert between your chosen currency and all of the others on a single screen, even when you’re offline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.