Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools

Old Feb 7, 16, 11:15 pm   #1

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Hello,

Can someone tell me if it is possible to load up the seatmap on KVS with BA as OLCI opens?

I tried before my subscription ended and I was told by the system that it is not available.

Would be great if I can look at last minute available seats in cabins so I can choose a seat with no one next to me.

(PS if I can then can I use this function on other airlines as well?)
cysyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 16, 12:21 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Elite, BA Gold, UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I don't think that is possible on KVS, but why not check on BA.com? Your strategy is flawed, however, since the likelihood of that seat remaining vacant is low. Many people do not preselect their seat and are assigned one automatically.
LondonElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 16, 4:36 am   #3

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I don't think that is possible on KVS, but why not check on BA.com? Your strategy is flawed, however, since the likelihood of that seat remaining vacant is low. Many people do not preselect their seat and are assigned one automatically.
BA is not a big issue however CX is -- new system with CX means it is no longer possoble to reassign sign or upgrade by cash at gate.
cysyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 16, 4:46 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, but my point is that the seat map is a poor predictor of whether or not the seat next to you is free, even within three hours of the flight lots of things can and do change.
Old Feb 8, 16, 9:31 am   #5
Moderator, Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California & Los Angeles

There is a free iOS and Android app that shows actual real time seat maps for flights. There is a daily limit to the number of free searches though; I'm not sure what it is.
Seat Alerts by ExpertFlyer
TWA884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 10:44 am   #6

Programs: RJ Platinum (OWE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cysyuen View Post
BA is not a big issue however CX is -- new system with CX means it is no longer possoble to reassign sign or upgrade by cash at gate.
Actually CX seat map remains available on Expertflyer right up to departure,which is nice and I asked the agents in the lounge to change my seat just before boarding started.

If I try to do the same for a BA flight after OLCI opens this is what I get:

Quote:
There was an error message from the airline when trying to retrieve this seat map: AIRPORT CHECKIN ONLY
Same for RJ.Is there any other way to see the seat map after OLCI opens?
Rami Tamimi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 12:18 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
Actually CX seat map remains available on Expertflyer right up to departure,which is nice and I asked the agents in the lounge to change my seat just before boarding started.

If I try to do the same for a BA flight after OLCI opens this is what I get:

Same for RJ.Is there any other way to see the seat map after OLCI opens?
But what's the point? By the time check-in starts, the gate has control of seating, so why not just ask them to put you somewhere where the middle seat is free. How does EF really help you here?
Old Feb 13, 16, 3:36 am   #8

Quote:
But what's the point? By the time check-in starts, the gate has control of seating, so why not just ask them to put you somewhere where the middle seat is free. How does EF really help you here?
It is much easier (for both the pax and the agent) when you ask :

Quote:
Excuse me,could you please move me to 21D?" ,
then,

Quote:
Excuse me,I was just wondering if it is possible to check for any empty rows....hmm,oh 20DEF looks good,or maybe emm....18ABC....
Agents are often busy during/just before boarding,so making your requests as easy as possible for them really helps.In the worst case scenario,if the GA refuses your request you can move to an empty seat once on the aircraft,again armed with information from EF.

When flying on RJ not ex AMM and being in airside transit I aproach the gate agents 5-10 minutes before boarding starts and ask to check the seat map for me.

On S7,MH,IB and CX,I approach the agents in the lounge/gate after I check EF and they just move me to whereever I ask them.

I don't know why BA,RJ and some other airlines block the EF seat map when OLCI opens.
Old Feb 13, 16, 4:39 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably to stop this kind of self-shifting attempt immediately before and during boarding.

I can see your point but I think it falls into the 'solution looking for a problem' category particularly as, to take your case, who's to say that 21E won't get taken just after you've collected your new boarding pass (by a stand-by, a late connection, or someone being moved for 'I need to sit next to my child in 21F' reasons?)
Old Feb 13, 16, 6:12 am   #10

Quote:
Probably to stop this kind of self-shifting attempt immediately before and during boarding.

I can see your point but I think it falls into the 'solution looking for a problem' category particularly as, to take your case, who's to say that 21E won't get taken just after you've collected your new boarding pass (by a stand-by, a late connection, or someone being moved for 'I need to sit next to my child in 21F' reasons?)
Well,ofcourse there are no guarantees that the seat next to you will be free,but this strategy has worked very well for me in the last few years.

As for

Quote:
who's to say that 21E won't get taken just after you've collected your new boarding pass
Normally (at least on RJ),the flight has closed for check in at this time (5-10 min till boarding) and all stand by is cleared...and in LHR T5...would not the conformance requirement make this impossible? I am not sure,but I presume so.Possibly on some airlines it may be diffirent ofcourse.

It would not solve the "I need to sit next to my child in 21F'",although on CX the crew's manifest shows the blocked seats and they do ask people not to sit there.