Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Agreed - significant downgrade for my usage.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Google Flights Question

How can I find out the number of base miles for the segment in Google flights?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a number of mileage calculators out there. milecalc.com, gcmap.com, etc.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
How can I find out the number of base miles for the segment in Google flights?
GF does not provide that information. Type the segments into a mileage calculator like GCMap.com
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Unhappy

Originally Posted by hartlogan
It looks like Google Flights got an update and changed their Map Search. Instead of the price/date slider that pops up when selecting a destination, it now has a sidebar with the first three flights and some other random information.

The removal of the price/date slider there was extremely convenient when you had flexible dates and destinations for your travel. Now it requires quite a few more steps when looking for cheap, flexible date destinations, especially for MR or Segment Runs.
I just came here after noticing this annoying change. How DO i see the flexible prices around my preferred travel dates now?

I used to love that feature!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Error booking on AA.com

I see some other folks are encountering itineraries on google flights not bookable on AA.com.

I am trying to book:
PVD > CLT > SJU (AA1700, AA756 12/17/16)
SJU > CLT > PVD (AA1847, AA1729 12/31/16)

Prices out to $283 on google flights. Here's a link. Same itinerary shows up on Matrix ITA, Kayak and Hipmunk. However, when I link to AA I get: "The system was unable to process your search. Please try again."

If I try multi city search on AA.com, I go through an endless loop where it keeps repricing @ $283 but it keeps saying, "price no longer available" and reprices with the same itinerary. Very frustrating

Any advice?

Update: interesting, now (a day later) the itinerary is pricing out correctly on AA.com linked from Google Flights... so I guess the moral of the story is, keep trying?

Last edited by AirD0c; Feb 13, 2016 at 5:24 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:38 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
What database technology is Google Flights using?

...such that the search is so much faster and more flexible than any I've seen used by any of the airlines?

I would assume that they're not just throwing lots of server capacity at it, but that they are querying fare databases much more efficiently or something. To the point where in the amount of time to see the results for one day in any other search engine, I can see a month's worth of the result in Google Flights with the complicated criteria I want.

Very curious to know why they're able to do this...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:32 am

It's based on ITA. A key reason it is faster is that it does not interactively check availability.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club

Last edited by kalendil; Jun 15, 2016 at 11:18 pm Reason: was a local problem. very local.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by xooz
It's based on ITA. A key reason it is faster is that it does not interactively check availability.
Which might explain why, especially recently, I am getting back great search results making flights look cheap-- then deciding on an itinerary, looking at hotels, etc-- then when I go to actually book, these fares don't actually exist. Momondo seems to do the same thing. Some very small print says, "This fare was bookable more than 4 hours ago" or something like that. Ugh.
I wouldn't mind that ITA takes more time-- but 50% of the time, it comes back with a server time out.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's not just ITA. Google consumes travel provider APIs directly as well. Due to its size, it is able to impose a number of complex API standards (including built-in filtering). I would imagine it uses a self-developed NoSQL style DB as a front-end cache, and a mix of pre-filling and online queries depending on the frequency of the query.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:46 am
RJ1

Google Flights - email function

I have the email notification turned on for Google Flights, but I have yet to receive any emails after a couple of weeks of tracking a few flights. I am checking them manually and I know there has been movement in prices. Am I doing something wrong?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:34 am

A question about Google Flights

On Google Flights if I wish to do a search for something like 'Anywhere in Euope' to NYC, how do I enter Europe? If I type in 'Europe', I always get results for Lille Europe (XDB).

How can one resolve this?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll move this to Travel Tools...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Open ended Google flight searches only work in the reverse (e.g. Origin = NYC / Destination = Europe) @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.