Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to buy a multi-class itinerary? [EK+others]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

How to buy a multi-class itinerary? [EK+others]

Is it possible to buy multi-cabin itineraries without splitting up the ticket at 2 purchases and if yes what's the process/OTA best suited for it? Expedia/Priceline/Orbitz etc?

There's a 3-segment itinerary which I can price out as economy easily (and cheaper than if I buy it seperately segment by segment), but I'm interested in the middle-segment be on first-class and the first/last segment can remain on economy. First and last segment on AirlineA, middle segment is on Emirates which I want to try first-class on.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
This could be tough. Many of EK fares do not allow end-on-end which is required to string 2 fares together on the same ticket. Exact routing may be helpful
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Often it's cheaper to keep the shorter connecting segments in FC/business class versus breaking the fare to put some segments in coach.

A competent real live human travel agent can do this (and check prices for you), but there will probably be a ticketing fee of about $30. This assumes that the airlines interline, but it can require more expensive fares as mentioned above.

Some airline call centers will do this (and should be able to if the carriers interline or especially are partners in any sense), but they might try to charge a fee too if you're not elite. Others will waive the fee if you cannot purchase the ticket on line, but you might need to HUCA.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

This could be tough. Many of EK fares do not allow end-on-end which is required to string 2 fares together on the same ticket. Exact routing may be helpful
I can already string together economy fare ticket (atleast see it in ITA/GoogleFlights) though so end-on-end is allowed.

Its HNL -> AKL (on Hawaiian), AKL -> SYD (on Emirates), SYD -> HNL (on Hawaiian). I'm interested in only upgrading Emirates to first-class (shower in the air!) and not paying the extra cash for first-class on Hawaiian airlines.

On ITA Matrix, AKL-> SYD fare rules for Emirates say end-on-end is allowed.

I can just buy the tickets seperately but i prefer to be on same ticket, and i think its cheaper also (atleast for economy)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did find some HNL-AKL via SYD with various carrier combinations and they are an HA filed fare which allows transport on other carriers. Not HA + EK fares combined. I looked at several EK filed fares on expertflyer and they all said no end-on end.

I looked up a few dates on ITA and it says the same as on EF

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
END-ON-END NOTE -
END ON END WITH EK ARABIAN AIR PASS PERMITTED

Is there a sample date where ITA is showing end-on-end allowed? I was just looking at June 2015 and a random date in 2016

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 23, 2015 at 12:44 pm
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

March 11th 2015, Emirates flight AKL to SYD:

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. Only has that in the one direction. It also states in sales restrictions that must be on QF or EK ticket stock so probably start by calling both of those carriers call centers and see what they have available
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
Interesting. Only has that in the one direction. It also states in sales restrictions that must be on QF or EK ticket stock so probably start by calling both of those carriers call centers and see what they have available
That is interesting. I'd start with EK- not sure if QF and HA play so well as Jetstar competes with HA on several routes. Then again they may
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
That is interesting. I'd start with EK- not sure if QF and HA play so well as Jetstar competes with HA on several routes. Then again they may
Then the EK end-on-end would come back into play. I looked up SYD-HNL and EK filed fares do not allow end-on-end. If OP ditched HA I think it would be easier to get on one ticket.

Although I'm trying to figure out what QF means by the bolded parts. This all is getting way over my head. I still have a lot to learn about fare construction

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH DOMESTIC
FARES WITHIN
AUSTRALIA. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED WITH NO
RESTRICTIONS. FARES MUST BE SHOWN SEPARATELY ON THE
TICKET. TRAVEL MUST BE VIA THE POINT OF COMBINATION.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER QF/JQ.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Although I'm trying to figure out what QF means by the bolded parts. This all is getting way over my head. I still have a lot to learn about fare construction
I'm going to try this thread in Travel Tools.

Please note this thread started in the Flame Free Information Desk.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:20 am

Then the EK end-on-end would come back into play. I looked up SYD-HNL and EK filed fares do not allow end-on-end. If OP ditched HA I think it would be easier to get on one ticket.

It means you can combine this fare only with domestic (intra-Australia) fares published by QF or JQ.

e.g. you can add a JQ MEL-SYD or a QF MEL-SYD, but you can't add a MU PVG-SYD.

Last edited by oni89; Feb 25, 2015 at 2:35 am
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
As others have mentioned.... it might not even be cheaper. I remember asking a UA agent to do this for me over the phone once (UA, Canadian and Hawaiian segments) and there was no difference in fare, sadly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.