Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Question [Need feedback] Find cheap fares and price outliers

FLIGHTSCOUT

Feel free to give feedback.

Last edited by FlightScout; Feb 18, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I just tested this tool.

It seems to have potential.

TWA884
Moderator, Travel Tools
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:39 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
It seems to have potential.
I agree with TWA884.

A few quick comments:
  • Some of the highlight color choices you made can be hard to read. The darkest green and darkest red is particularly problematic
  • The anomaly page is a very good idea, but is a bit confusing. A search I performed seemed to return both high price anomalies and low prices. Maybe that was not the case, but without some sort of legend or FAQ's I can't deduce exactly what I am uncovering. Wouldn't the primary goal be to just make low price dramatic anomalies stand out
  • Can you add a feature that will change the date display from the default European style to American (day/month vs. month/day). This North American centric user's muddled mind is having problems quickly grasping what the date range is
  • Many people on Flyertalk are heavily oriented toward Business or First class anomalies. Any chance that a production version will have a switch that searches exclusively classes higher than coach? I have interest in short haul coach, but for a 3+ hour one way a cheap business or first deal really attracts my attention

Last edited by Craig6z; Jan 23, 2015 at 4:44 pm
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Hey, Craig6z. Thank you for your feedback. I wanted to address some of your comments.
- Agree on the color choice: we're looking to improve that.
- Our default sorting method is % difference between the listed price and the average prices around those dates. So think of it as a "how good of a deal this is".
- It's the neverending struggle of US VS Non-US
- This is interesting. Any idea on how big the demand is? We can probably look into it, but need to understand how scalable this is.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by FlightScout
- This is interesting. Any idea on how big the demand is? We can probably look into it, but need to understand how scalable this is.
Check out Flyertalk's Premium Fare Deals forum - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

It gets tons of traffic and frequent referrals from outside travel blogs and twitter. There are many registered people on Flyertalk who will glance at it 3-4 times a day, and even more viewers who aren't even signed up as members. Just this past minute (8pm US East Coast time on a Friday night) there are:

People Viewing: 40 (16 members & 24 guests)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:10 pm
Original Member

- Our default sorting method is % difference between the listed price and the average prices around those dates. So think of it as a "how good of a deal this is".
Can you at least annotate the site to make that clear? What about adding an adjacent field indicating what that percentage is? For example:
$726 (down 19% from mean)
or whatever is an appropriate explanation of the % field and doesn't muddy up the page, etc.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

That's the plan. Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Wow, I really like the concept being a data guy. Would be really easy to spot trends in pricing. What are your plans with routes? Will it be open to more than just the current set in the future?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgriz18
Wow, I really like the concept being a data guy. Would be really easy to spot trends in pricing. What are your plans with routes? Will it be open to more than just the current set in the future?
Currently the tool is in development only with a few cities for demo purposes, but we'll add a lot more cities, once we have a better idea on what features we want to add.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:18 am

Really cool idea with the tool.
Of course, the more features it has, the better, such as looking for biz / 1st class flights.

The search is quite fast, may I ask what sort of data provider you are using? From experience I'd say no GDS can be that quick, so are the prices you are pulling cached data? If so, in how many times a day/week does the data get updated?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fuyao
Really cool idea with the tool.
Of course, the more features it has, the better, such as looking for biz / 1st class flights.

The search is quite fast, may I ask what sort of data provider you are using? From experience I'd say no GDS can be that quick, so are the prices you are pulling cached data? If so, in how many times a day/week does the data get updated?
This is GDS cached data.

Last edited by FlightScout; Feb 25, 2015 at 3:13 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The tool's description was edited out of the original post.

Here it is:
It does a few simple things:
- It allows you to look up flights 6 months in advance.
- It provides a simple interface for working with flight data.
- It identifies the cheapest fare for a route.
- It identifies price outliers and anomalies -- cheap deals on expensive dates.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Very promising. Is it possible to restrict the search to specific airlines or an alliance? As you know, many people here choose their flights that way.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:20 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I like it a lot. It needs some more features, of course, but is a great start

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.