Community
Wiki Posts
Search

API for Calculating Flight Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

API for Calculating Flight Miles

Does anyone know what service/API sites use to calculate the flight miles between two airports?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:16 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Usually based off great circle routing

gcmap.com is an example site
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, some airlines (such as DL) don't seem to follow any of the standard sources and you need to check the miles on their own website. Differences compared to the great circle routing calculations are not unusual, although the deviations are usually small. Also, the distances according to DL occasionally change, so you can't necessarily go by previous experience.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Thanks good sir. Do you know what the service behind that site is? I'm looking to query the service directly instead of going through this or another website.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:39 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jimmyboo
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Thanks good sir. Do you know what the service behind that site is? I'm looking to query the service directly instead of going through this or another website.
No idea. Sorry!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jimmyboo
The formula for doing the math is actually pretty easy and well documented. You need a database of IATA codes, latitude & longitude to feed in to the formula but once you have that then getting the maths part done is easy. Doing a ton of calculations can slow down the server a bit but if it is just a couple per page load that shouldn't be an issue. I have the code in vb.net if you want that. I'll even give you a dump of the airports table from my DB if you want that, too.

I suppose I could set up an API-ish service to just return the distances if you want that rather than doing the calculations on your own server.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: ChrisFlyer66
Originally Posted by sbm12
The formula for doing the math is actually pretty easy and well documented. You need a database of IATA codes, latitude & longitude to feed in to the formula but once you have that then getting the maths part done is easy. Doing a ton of calculations can slow down the server a bit but if it is just a couple per page load that shouldn't be an issue. I have the code in vb.net if you want that. I'll even give you a dump of the airports table from my DB if you want that, too.

I suppose I could set up an API-ish service to just return the distances if you want that rather than doing the calculations on your own server.
how much you charge to do that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.