Search

AirBnB Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
AirBnB Alternatives

Hi,

Trying to find an alternative to using AirBnB for non-hotel bookings. My biggest beef with the service is that while the property owners can have strict guidelines on when a guest can cancel/change their travel plans, the property owners can due as they please with no recourse on the part of the traveller (aside from getting a refund). I mean, what if the property owner decides at the last minute to give your reservation to somebody else?

Are there any other services that people here know about?

Thank you.
Eric
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The hotel world does this too, when they overbook and "walk" guests. A major nuisance.

IndependentTraveler.com lists some possible alternatives: http://www.independenttraveler.com/t...r-ways-to-stay
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: No travel, no cards. :(
Similar to AirBNB, we used 9Flats a little over a year ago and had a lovely 2-week stay in Berlin.
We had also brought two phone numbers of hostels with us, just in case something was sketchy. But we had a fabulous time and our host & hostess were amazing and helpful.

Sure, there is always a chance of failure. That's why I keep several other options available in my travel documents. If a hotel I have chosen "walks" me (only once), I can offer other suggestions.

Suggest: use the AirBNB review section. Read the reviews from other travelers on a host you are considering. And be in email contact. I think that helps. Personal opinion.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callie-girl
Similar to AirBNB, we used 9Flats a little over a year ago and had a lovely 2-week stay in Berlin.
We had also brought two phone numbers of hostels with us, just in case something was sketchy. But we had a fabulous time and our host & hostess were amazing and helpful.

Sure, there is always a chance of failure. That's why I keep several other options available in my travel documents. If a hotel I have chosen "walks" me (only once), I can offer other suggestions.

Suggest: use the AirBNB review section. Read the reviews from other travelers on a host you are considering. And be in email contact. I think that helps. Personal opinion.
The only problem with AirBnB, epsecially if there was a problem, especially in the case of the host cancelling your reservation on you, is that if that happens, once AirBnB closes out the case, you can't go back in and leave a negative remark on the host. But I do like your idea of taking along back up phone numbers for alternate accommodations just in case.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:35 pm

I have frequently used various websites to look for vacation rental homes/apartments, and in each case the website acts only as a kind of "introduction service" to put me in contact with the owner or agent of the property. I have to rely on their honesty and integrity when booking (that they won't cancel or change anything), but I look at how long they've been doing it, their online reviews, and assess my email conversations with them when deciding to take the chance. In the few instances I've done it, I've had a great experience.

In Europe, I've used http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/ -- I was going to Portugal, and it is a common place for UK vacations, which is why I used the UK site. In New Zealand, I used http://www.bookabach.co.nz/. There are many, many more on line, and many owners and managers list their places in several, so you'll see a lot of repeats if you're looking at multiple sites.

I do not want to rent a room in someone's house and prefer to rent the entire apartment or house, which is why I started with vacation rentals rather than B&Bs.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
vrbo is an old hat in the area.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the details and mentioning the other sites that you have used.

It is unfortunate that these sites, IMHO, only act to introduce travelers and property owners. But I suppose it'd be difficult to maintain any semblance of an SLA with respect to what the property owner is liable to do or services to provide.

Myself, I would pay a premium for peace of mind.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by ekwang
Myself, I would pay a premium for peace of mind.
But while it may offer you peace of mind, it adds a corporate layer that will remove some of the benefits of renting a unique and personal spot, and become more like renting a hotel suite.

If you think there are others like you, it looks like you've found a good business opportunity.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:56 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Home Away .com for home rentals. But this is more geared towards renting a vacation home for a week or more, rather than a hotel substitute for a few days.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver, LH, AF
Agree it is a risk, but it is a very minor (and quite improbable) risk because:

1. Airbnb helps you find different accommodation quickly. I had to change acco once in NY due to being super dirty, and they were really quick in helping me find another one. And if it is due to host cancelling, they'll likely do it at a discounted price, or give vouchers

2. The host who canceled, if for genuine reason, typically intend to help you find something else in the area. As a host, I had to cancel once due to damage by a previous guest, and I made sure I found something as nice in the vicinity for my guest. I even asked my friends for their properties if they were travelling etc.

3. There is a comment "this host cancelled x days prior to stay" on host's page.

4. Finally, Airbnb has imposed high penalities on guests who cancel frequently. In one case I know of, they removed the listing of a host who cancelled thrice, consecutively.

I understand a cancellation would be tough, and for peace of mind, you should probably go for a hotel, but cancellation in airbnb is only marginally more frequent than a non-5* hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.