Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAkH
Welcome to the ITA-Matrix-PowerTools
*** About ***
The ITA-Matrix-PowerTools are a user script maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Features added to the itinerary details page:
  • convert times into 24h format
  • translation support
  • open fare rules in new window by default
  • price breakdown (base fare, taxes & carrier imposed surcharges)
  • editor mode (adjust cabin prior extraction)
  • multiple handy links (Seatguru, Planefinder, WhereToCredit)
  • new on page features like detailed mileage breakdown*, GCM-Map* and earned frequent flyer miles*
  • create links to various providers (OTAs / airlines / other tools) to try direct booking of your itinerary

Originally Posted by Error: Unable to find class IR6M2QD-k-i for itinRow.
If you see this error, currently you'll need to manually edit your installed script.

See posts from October 1st, 2018 for more information.
*requires background requests

The script may have lots of bugs and comes without warranty of any kind! Not all fares will be bookable or will price correctly in the booking engines. You are responsible for the money you spend - so double check your flights before purchasing AND use your sanity! Read this and the next two posts as an example: click

*** How it works ***
Using pure JavaScript we are "creating" some sort of hook that is periodically checking for page changes while working with the Matrix. As soon as you reload or leave the page the script stops (leaving the page or using the console-version) or starts from the beginning (using the userscript and perfoming a reload). Also this script is only running in these tabs/windows in which you are looking at the Matrix.
As soon as the script detects the itinerary page it reads its content - unless you activated the editor mode. It's parsing all the information found and creates - based on this information - several links to OTAs, airlines and other tools. Since we are able to remove, replace and add content to the page - we make them visible and clickable in a way you choose. By default there are no background requests.

*** How to get it running ***
There are three methods to install the script. All three below run exactly the same underlying script but are listed in order of installation complexity:

Method 1: Browser Extensions
Method 2: As a UserScript
It takes a moment to get it running but after that it will start automatically everytime you visit the Matrix and we will be able to store your settings. You will need to install a script manager.

Warning: Using a script manager and installing user scripts is a potential security risk - We need to mention it here.
Step 1: Install a script manager Step 2: Install the script
See the FAQ of your script manager how to install the script.
  • Through GreasyFork
  • Through OpenUserJS
  • Through GitHub: you should be asked whether you want to install it - make sure your script manager is running.
Method 3: iOS Safari Shortcut

Get the "Add ITA Matrix Powertools" Shortcut

Instructions much be run each time
  • Open ITA Matrix in Safari on your iPhone or iPad
  • Tap on the Share button in the bottom navigation
  • Scroll down through all the actions
  • Select Add ITA Matrix Powertools

Method 4: Console/Debug mode
You need to access the command line of your browser to execute the script. You can use either the regular version or the minified version. Just copy the entire text.

Chrome:
  1. Open Chrome DevTools: developer.chrome.com
  2. Switch to the console tab
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.chrome.com
  4. Run it
Firefox:
  1. Open the web console: developer.mozilla.org
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.mozilla.org
  4. Run it
Internet Explorer:
  1. Open the web console by pressing F12
  3. Paste the script into the command line - at the very bottom
  4. Run it by pressing the green triangle

*** How to use it ***
Once the script is running you should see a new line above the ITA logo:
Code:
Passengers (1a) Settings (v0.18) (Cabin: Auto)
As long as you see this line, there is no need to reexecute the script. Make sure to get used to the "Settings"-feature -> just click on Settings. Within the settings menu you can configure the script towards your needs/preferences. Enabling/disabling features and/or setting standard editions of providers on the fly. When using a script manager these settings should be stored and automatically load as soon as you visit matrix.itasoftware.com - but the passengers as well as the cabin detection will not be stored!
Your settings are "reloaded" everytime the itinerary details show up! If you want to use other settings, just get back to the flight selection and reselect your flights - the new settings will be used. This belongs to the passengers and cabin detection as well

Passengers:
The passenger count will not be taken from your search results! Use the passenger config on the upper left and make sure they are set before you get to the itinerary details. We had to do it this way because some providers require the age of children. But always make sure to search for the equivalent passenger count. There might be seat availability for one passenger but not for two!

Cabin detection:
You should set the cabin on the upper right to the appropriate main cabin you are looking for. Sometimes you will have economy/business class segments in mainly business/first class itineraries. These mixed itineraries make it hard to autodetect the main cabin - so you can set it manually.

*** Background requests - Privacy issues ***
Some features require to contact other servers. As long as you do not activate any of the autoload features within the settings there won't be any automatic background requests. You will have to initiate them manually. The following list will tell which features are contacting what server and what information will be transferred. All websites will know you are using this script und you are currently using the Matrix - what by the way applies to the link targets you click as well.
  • GCM-Map in inline mode - contacting gcmap.com (non SSL) providing full route data
  • WhereToCredit.com mileage accrual breakdown - contacting wheretocredit.com (non SSL or SSL - depending on whether you use the Matrix with or without SSL) providing full itinerary
  • Skimlinks affiliate links - loads a js script to adds affiliate ids to some links if and only if the "Support this tool" setting is enabled. If it is disabled, no external scripts are loaded
*** FT-Posts you should read ***
General statement regarding this script: click
How to fix class names yourself: click
Problems and limitations regarding pricing itins: click

*** Contributors ***
paul21, Steppo, IAkH, 18sas, Benchmarc and others!

I'd like to give special thanks to paul21 for starting this idea.

*** Latest Version ***
GitHub Repo

OR install directly: Executable Version minified

FYI
Steppo & IAkH (Adam Hwang) have full access to this repository.

Discussion - written by paul21:
The original posting can be found here, related to building links on delta's booking engine. The script scrapes the flight info from the itinerary (flight numbers, dates, class of service, price) and builds a link string to two booking engines (Orbitz/Delta). These links are the same links used by Google Flights (owns ITA) , Kayak, et. al. to drive purchases. I used the Google referrer codes in the scripts, so they should get the commission. It's beyond me why ITA doesn't have some form of purchase link. This a userscript, and like an ad-blocker, it modifies the way a page is viewed by editing DOM objects in the browser. Keep in mind that this tool is meant to do something you already do yourself, but to save time in the process. Any tickets issued by Orbitz/DL via these links could be issued via phone or web search. If the links work, you are avoiding a phone booking fee potentially.

Print Wikipost

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:23 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Seems that ITA made some additional changes that caused the script to break. I no longer get the links to OTAs for purchasing though the Powertools link runs at the top.

Anyone else running into issues?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:32 am

Update to 0.9b

Yes, they changed classes again.
Updated and pushed classnames into settings.. will be easier to maintain on new changes.
--------------------
Update to v0.9b using https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools/ or install/open directly
Happy searching
--------------------
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:34 am

We got an external submission by dja852. Don't know your name on FT but thank you very much!
You are now able to choose the Point of Sale for Air Canada.
**** Version 0.9c ****
# 2013-03-17 Edited by dja852 (Added options to select Air Canada site edition)
--------------------
Update to v0.9c using https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools/ or install/open directly
Happy searching
--------------------

Last edited by Steppo; Mar 23, 2015 at 12:43 am
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:08 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems today's update broke the script again.

I am starting to wonder if they are doing this intentionally
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by TTT

I have the updated class names in my branch, but I broke part of the translation with some new features.

If you don't want to wait for the official fix, here's the new class names. Just replace the relevant section of the script:
var classSettings = new Object();
classSettings["itin"]="FNGTPEB-A-d"; // Intinerary
classSettings["milagecontainer"]="FNGTPEB-A-e"; // Container on the right
classSettings["rulescontainer"]="FNGTPEB-l-d"; // First container before rulelinks (the one with Fare X
classSettings["htbContainer"]="FNGTPEB-F-k"; // full "how to buy"-container inner div (td=>div=>div)
classSettings["htbLeft"]="FNGTPEB-l-g"; // Left column in the "how to buy"-container
classSettings["htbRight"]="FNGTPEB-l-f"; // Class for normal right column
classSettings["htbGreyBorder"]="FNGTPEB-l-l"; // Class for right cell with light grey border (used for subtotal of passenger)
//inline
classSettings["mcDiv"]="FNGTPEB-U-e";
classSettings["mcLinkList"]="FNGTPEB-y-c";
classSettings["mcHeader"]="FNGTPEB-U-b";
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by TTT

Seems so.. :-)
Thx 2 IAkH.. fixed before reading your post.
--------------------
Update to v0.10 using https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools/ or install/open directly
Happy searching
--------------------
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:28 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAkH
I have the updated class names in my branch, but I broke part of the translation with some new features.

If you don't want to wait for the official fix, here's the new class names. Just replace the relevant section of the script:
Originally Posted by Steppo
Seems so.. :-)
Thx 2 IAkH.. fixed before reading your post.
--------------------
Update to v0.10 using https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools/ or install/open directly

Happy searching
--------------------
Thank you both very much!

Where do you see the new class names (as it seems that is what changes with each update)?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Doesn't work...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:57 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Doesn't work...
Have you updated with the most recent script? It worked for me this AM after the update.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TTT
Have you updated with the most recent script? It worked for me this AM after the update.
It generates the links on the final ITA page, but class info is not correctly incorporated into the link.
For instance, a mixed business class/PE class itinerary turns into a 100% business class itinerary on delta.com, a business class/economy class itinerary on orbitz.com, while klm.com bombs out.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:23 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
It generates the links on the final ITA page, but class info is not correctly incorporated into the link.
For instance, a mixed business class/PE class itinerary turns into a 100% business class itinerary on delta.com, a business class/economy class itinerary on orbitz.com, while klm.com bombs out.
Mixed class has never worked for me either. Are you able to get mixed class to work using the manual process detailed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-006-dl.html?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:43 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
I am submitting a patch to unify .console. and .user. into one codebase.

Con permiso, also incrementing version to 0.10a.

Pull request : https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matr...ertools/pull/9
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA ExP
This is absolutely magical! Thanks steppo, iakh, et. al!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Yes, thank you. Because of this script several people (including myself) have been able to book complicated premium fares that would have otherwise been difficult.

By the way, those that are stuck using IE and can't install scripting extensions, can still use the script.

Do this:

get to the itinerary page
push F12 to bring up the developer tools
go to the console tab
in the lower section copy paste the entire script found here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/St...t_minified.txt
push "run script" in lower right

Last edited by skunker; Apr 10, 2015 at 11:59 am
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by skunker
Yes, thank you. Because of this script several people (including myself) have been able to book complicated premium fares that would have otherwise been difficult.
Such as some nice DXB-AUS ones? Add me too the list! Even just sending the Orbitz deep link off to a friend is pure gold. Here, book this link. Done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.