Search

App to Keep Track of Receipts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
App to Keep Track of Receipts

Does anyone have suggestions for an app to keep track, digitally, or receipts?

I don't need anything powerful. Just an app that I can scan the whole receipt, it'll save (at a bare minimum) the total and place, and easily searchable. Must work from Android, and iPhone is a plus (but not requirement).

I'm looking for something free (for more than 5 receipts a month like Shoebox), but is for personal use. I have less need for "powerful reports" that my credit card statements give me.

I saw NumReceipts and it seemed to fit the bill. Any knowledge of it here or thoughts on other options?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'd give Expensify a look... prior to moving to a company that uses Concur I used Expensify at the most basic level (photograph receipts and generate basic reports), but it looks like it has a lot of the more advance features of Concur (outside of the submission/audit/approval flow) like emailing receipts, importing from credit card statements, etc. Having now used Concur for a year and incorporating the semi-advanced features into my daily life, if I had to leave it behind I'd probably replace it with Expensify.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Cool. I've just been using OneNote to scan my receipts into different notebooks, but these apps look pretty cool. Downside, of course, is that they don't integrate with our corporate expense system which is pretty archaic (still have to scan and email receipts), but looks good from even a personal perspective. I bet my wife would love this to keep track of household expenses!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'd give Expensify a look... prior to moving to a company that uses Concur I used Expensify at the most basic level (photograph receipts and generate basic reports), but it looks like it has a lot of the more advance features of Concur (outside of the submission/audit/approval flow) like emailing receipts, importing from credit card statements, etc. Having now used Concur for a year and incorporating the semi-advanced features into my daily life, if I had to leave it behind I'd probably replace it with Expensify.
My company used Expensify, though I never had any personal experience with it.

However, doesn't it cost money? I see they have a free account, but it says 10 smart scans a month. I plan on scanning a lot more than 10 receipts a month! Or is smart scan different than regular scan?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Cool. I've just been using OneNote to scan my receipts into different notebooks, but these apps look pretty cool. Downside, of course, is that they don't integrate with our corporate expense system which is pretty archaic (still have to scan and email receipts), but looks good from even a personal perspective. I bet my wife would love this to keep track of household expenses!
I'll one-up you on "archaic" expense reporting. My company requires us to send our original receipts to a centralized processing office who scans them. But we must "prepare" them for scanning by taping them all to blank copy paper. This is used in conjunction with a spreadsheet expense report.

the worst part is, we use Concur for our travel bookings, so I'm not sure exactly why they won't incorporate the expense management part of it.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
turboscan--its wonderful!!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Great Thread! Thanks I will check these out.. I have just been taking images of my receipts with my iphone.. Having a system that stores and categorizes them would be wonderful
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by joshwex90
My company used Expensify, though I never had any personal experience with it.

However, doesn't it cost money? I see they have a free account, but it says 10 smart scans a month. I plan on scanning a lot more than 10 receipts a month! Or is smart scan different than regular scan?
Smartscan is different to normal receipts. It attempts to automatically retrieve the price/vendor/date etc. from the uploaded receipt.

I've never used it to be honest... but I use Expensify every week to scan all my receipts.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Smartscan is different to normal receipts. It attempts to automatically retrieve the price/vendor/date etc. from the uploaded receipt.

I've never used it to be honest... but I use Expensify every week to scan all my receipts.
That was my understanding as well... I keep hoping Concur will add a smartscan type feature, but I usually just photograph the receipt and wait to match it to the charge once it is imported from my company card anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:48 am

I have tried a variety of expense applications. Because my company requires I use a specific non-integrated service for submitting, it always results in double entry. What I have taken to now, is using Scanner Pro to snap every image while on the road (screen shot the uber receipt then import it to Scanner Pro). Then when I do my report, I just go through my Scanner Pro file and upload the PDF to attach to the report.

One nice feature of this, is that for receipts under $25 I don't need to submit the paper, so I can just toss those and still have a full record in Scanner Pro.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:30 pm

Evernote is excellent for this purpose. Add a tag to indicate it is a receipt. Evernote will then OCR the image and make it searchable. Piece of cake!

Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Oodles of 'em
I happily use Expensify as the sole employee of my business. I have it integrated with Xero, my cloud accounting solution, so I can send closed expense reports to Xero in one click. I also have it connected to Evernote so it automatically saves a copy of all expense reports including PDF receipts to Evernote. It also allows me to get reimbursed via ACH or PayPal. Nifty!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by learned
I have tried a variety of expense applications. Because my company requires I use a specific non-integrated service for submitting, it always results in double entry. What I have taken to now, is using Scanner Pro to snap every image while on the road (screen shot the uber receipt then import it to Scanner Pro). Then when I do my report, I just go through my Scanner Pro file and upload the PDF to attach to the report.

One nice feature of this, is that for receipts under $25 I don't need to submit the paper, so I can just toss those and still have a full record in Scanner Pro.
sounds similar to my experience with turboscan--which has literally seriously changed my life. I start a new report by taking a pic of receipt, naming the report, and then when its time to submit, I just go thru my app and then have a pdf sent along with my report. I cant even express how simple it has made things for me and has changed expenses from a 3 hour process to a few minutes
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Evenote

Handsdown evernote, if you can get the scansnap machine, even better, I scan and store all my receipts on it.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Does anyone have suggestions for an app to keep track, digitally, or receipts?

I don't need anything powerful. Just an app that I can scan the whole receipt, it'll save (at a bare minimum) the total and place, and easily searchable. Must work from Android, and iPhone is a plus (but not requirement).

I'm looking for something free (for more than 5 receipts a month like Shoebox), but is for personal use. I have less need for "powerful reports" that my credit card statements give me.

I saw NumReceipts and it seemed to fit the bill. Any knowledge of it here or thoughts on other options?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Shoebox turned me off because I didn't like the idea of putting the content on the cloud. Plus who knows how long startups are going to be around.

I use Evernote a lot but not for receipts.

I don't travel for business so this would be more for personal use. Like keeping receipts around in case I have to return purchases or for warranty or rebates and so on.

But when you scan a receipt, will stores or businesses accept the scan or the print of a scan as valid documentation for returns, warranties?

Doesn't seem likely.

I also have a multifunction printer where I can scan and email the scan. I've done it for a couple of receipts. Nice thing is I don't have to put them up on someone else's cloud.

But I don't know if stores would accept these scans or prints of the scans so I will keep around the physical receipt in case I have to make a warranty claim a year or two later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.