Reload this Page >

Kayak Trips vs. TripIt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kayak Trips vs. TripIt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:35 am

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Tripit pro for me. Been using it for about 2 years. Synchronizes across all my devices and updates Lotus Notes calendar. Pro alerts have been useful on a couple of occasions when it has advised me of flight delays even before the announcement had been made.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Tripit is about over for me. In addition to screwing up the Hilton and Viator entries, it also bounced my Austrian Train OBB reservation to a "note".

All of these are European items and all are supported according to the web site.

When I submit a problem report, the stock reply is they must have changed the format. Amazing that three totally separate companies ALL changed their format at the same time. I waved the BS flag and still no fix.

Cheers
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:08 am

Worldmate is the best choice

Worldmate is much more reliable than the rest of them.
Automatically creating the trips items efficiently and enables me to keep everything regarding my trips organize.

Been using worldmate for users and am a huge fan, you should be one too!

Last edited by amanz; Feb 17, 2013 at 2:04 am
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:55 am

I was blown away by Tripit when it first came out and got lots of my colleagues and friends to use it by adding them to trips.

But instead of increasing functionality over the years, my impression is the owners have lost interest. My main bugbears are:
- Atrocious IPad app UI
- Progressively slower app start up and sync process, which is a pain when pulling a PNR when checking in at the airport etc.
- more rather than less unsupported booking confirmations
- bizarre timezone arrangements and inserting phantom destinations in trips
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by amanz
Been using worldmate for users and am a huge fan, you should be one too!
I got WorldMate and was giving it a try, it was quite nice - but there weren't the other apps that sync with it
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Tripit doesn't seem to be able to parse mytable.com reservations, a widely used European reservation website, comparable to OpenTable.

The Pro version is not able to provide SMS service in Canada.

My feeling is that that this is a service that Google could provide far more effectively, given their superior searching and text parsing technology. If Tripit aren't interested in improving their service, they're going to be vulnerable to a take over. Or perhaps that's their game plan?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:43 am

Kayak is the free app of the day over at Amazon today.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
I'm a loyal user of Kayak but recently found one limitation: It does not automatically handle forwarded cancellation emails. When I cancel a booking (and get an emailed confirmation from the hotel, etc.) I have to sign in to the site and manually delete that item from my itinerary. Do any of the other tools handle Cancellations automatically?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold; Hilton Silver; Priority Plat; Marriott Silver
I've used tripit for years, but I'm going to try worldmate now. Tripit was sold btw I believe so that might explain some of the changes. I emailed with the guys at expensify which I also use heavily and asked about integrating with tripit, but they said something about it now being owned by a competitor or something
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by marzomarz
I've used tripit for years, but I'm going to try worldmate now. Tripit was sold btw I believe so that might explain some of the changes. I emailed with the guys at expensify which I also use heavily and asked about integrating with tripit, but they said something about it now being owned by a competitor or something
Concur bought TripIt. It has been all downhill.

In my trials of three products, I have dropped TripIt. This, despite having a paid up pro version.

Now it is down to Worldmate vs TripCase. I bought the $10/year upgrade for Worldmate and am impressed do far. TripCase will not let me change seats or anything. So it will likely be deleted after December travels and there will only be Worldmate.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Are you guys mostly depending on these services for the latest flight updates?

Because on my UA flights, I get calls and emails. I haven't really investigated it but I would imagine there are probably texts and push notifications available?

That kind of kills one of the main features of these 3rd-party services.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Are you guys mostly depending on these services for the latest flight updates?
No. Based on FT suggestions, I spent $10 and bought Flight Track Pro for my iPhone, it's an amazing product. A few weeks ago, while sitting and waiting for a flight, I got a FlightTrackPro alert saying that my flight was going to be delayed for over an hour. I called United, rebooked, and packed up my gear. As I began walking to the new gate, I got an alert from United, and the gate agent announced the delay over the PA.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:04 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I tried Worldmate about a year ago and they couldn't handle different time zone properly, e.g. an earlier flight NRT-LAX would be listed after the connecting flight LAX-SFO because it's later in the local time. Tripit didn't have any problem with that. I even emailed support and they told me they were working on it.

Has Worldmate fixed this yet?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by boberonicus
No. Based on FT suggestions, I spent $10 and bought Flight Track Pro for my iPhone, it's an amazing product. A few weeks ago, while sitting and waiting for a flight, I got a FlightTrackPro alert saying that my flight was going to be delayed for over an hour. I called United, rebooked, and packed up my gear. As I began walking to the new gate, I got an alert from United, and the gate agent announced the delay over the PA.
I used WorldMate on my Blackberry, but due to problems importing reservations with WorldMate I switched to TripIt. Moving over to Android I got the ad-free TripIt as the Amazon Appstore free app of the day a while back and I also use the FlightTrack Pro which syncs to my TripIt itineraries. I am very pleased with this combination.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
Originally Posted by swy
I tried Worldmate about a year ago and they couldn't handle different time zone properly, e.g. an earlier flight NRT-LAX would be listed after the connecting flight LAX-SFO because it's later in the local time. Tripit didn't have any problem with that. I even emailed support and they told me they were working on it.

Has Worldmate fixed this yet?
No. Based on some of the comments on this thread I tried it a few days ago with my current trip (5 countries, two weeks) and it failed completely recognizing the International Date Line. All of my flights back were intermingled and completely useless.

Although I hate the changes on TripIt, I probably will stick with it for now. What were they thinking on the Points page? That's the dumbest interface ever designed and is completely unusable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.