Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 13, 12, 9:51 am   #16

Programs: UA 1K, DL, US/AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977 View Post
How about we start a timer until AwardWallet dies? Almost guaranteed that United will follow Delta's and AA's example next,
If United shuts it down based on "security" I will call shenanigans until they stop allowing logins to MP with a 4-digit pin.

BTW, if security really is the issue, why not convert all accounts to storing passwords locally?

Last edited by drewguy; Sep 13, 12 at 10:03 am..
drewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 12, 7:23 pm   #17
Company Representative - AwardWallet

Hi, this is Alexi from AwardWallet. Just wanted to let you know that we are not going away and not abandoning the development of the site. Yes 3 airlines now stated they don't want to be part of our service and they are major airlines but keep in mind that today (as of September 13, 2012) we support 516 loyalty programs, we are growing at a highest rate ever in terms of new users, we are working on many new fatures, we hired more developers recently, and we support the backend of many of the other websites in the loyalty industry via our API. I assume when beagleflyer1977 created this thread with a subject "AwardWallet - death watch has started" was implying that AwardWallet will be dead soon, in my opinion this is a speculation based purely on these 3 programs withdrawing not taking into account other factors so for the rest of you folks reading it - please take it with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
-Alexi
veresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 12, 9:26 pm   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by veresch View Post
Hi, this is Alexi from AwardWallet. Just wanted to let you know that we are not going away and not abandoning the development of the site. Yes 3 airlines now stated they don't want to be part of our service and they are major airlines but keep in mind that today (as of September 13, 2012) we support 516 loyalty programs, we are growing at a highest rate ever in terms of new users, we are working on many new fatures, we hired more developers recently, and we support the backend of many of the other websites in the loyalty industry via our API. I assume when beagleflyer1977 created this thread with a subject "AwardWallet - death watch has started" was implying that AwardWallet will be dead soon, in my opinion this is a speculation based purely on these 3 programs withdrawing not taking into account other factors so for the rest of you folks reading it - please take it with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
-Alexi
What about the argument of creating an ap, that is completely separate from your web-site, that you sell to customers that we then load and use that to check our balances. Since you would by no means be "storing" our info, the airlines would have no leg to stand on. Even if they still tried to "find a way," you could point everyone to a "plug in" they can download to support the airline work that you did not directly develop.....

Just a thought.
THEsocalledfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 12, 10:11 pm   #19

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, UA urine (PP), A3 *G, AmEx Plat, *$G (Starbucks Gold)
Quote:

Cheers,
-Alexi
I'm still a big fan of AwardWallet and still use it for tracking my family's miles, despite it missing 2 AA accounts and 3 Delta accounts totaling over 600K miles ... it's still useful for tracking other accounts. However, if you lose more major programs like airlines or credit cards, it's tough to leverage the other programs.

I hope AW has plans for a standalone program or app that may be able to access DL and AA data.
Old Sep 13, 12, 10:16 pm   #20

I am pulling for AW on this. If the moronic airline lawyers do force an end to this I am in for buying desktop software.

Last edited by aviator8; Sep 14, 12 at 10:43 am..
aviator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 12, 10:23 pm   #21

Programs: AA,BA,UA,US,SPG
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedflyer View Post
Demand? I'd buy the app. I think many other people would too. And I would definitely miss AW if it went away. I use points.com also, but I defnintely prefer AW for keeping track of my 1 million+ point balance.
I'm ready to buy
crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 12, 12:40 am   #22

Programs: UA, AA peon
I'd buy a copy too if there were a desktop version. Both to get AA/DL/WN tracking and to avoid the issue that Firefox periodically seems to expire the cookies that store the passwords on the local machine and then I have to re-enter them for all of my accounts (although you could call this a "feature" since it keeps you from losing the muscle memory to type those passwords in for the times you actually need to log in to the airline/hotel site to redeem).
lunettes noires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 12, 10:45 am   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunettes noires View Post
I'd buy a copy too if there were a desktop version. Both to get AA/DL/WN tracking and to avoid the issue that Firefox periodically seems to expire the cookies that store the passwords on the local machine and then I have to re-enter them for all of my accounts (although you could call this a "feature" since it keeps you from losing the muscle memory to type those passwords in for the times you actually need to log in to the airline/hotel site to redeem).

I had the same issue but learned a fix fast when I had to reenter 80 different passwords! you can backup your accounts locally. If you loose them again restore them from backup. Check out the left panel.
aviator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 12, 9:26 pm   #24

Quote:

Cheers,
-Alexi
Why haven't you responded to my post? You clearly have a way out that is profitable. Please explain why do you do not do this.
THEsocalledfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 12, 10:33 am   #25

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Quote:
Hi, this is Alexi from AwardWallet. Just wanted to let you know that we are not going away and not abandoning the development of the site. -Alexi
Alexi...Citi Thankyou Reward balances are no longer being displayed on AW. Is this temporary or did they pull the plug?
atanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 12, 5:15 pm   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by atanac View Post
Alexi...Citi Thankyou Reward balances are no longer being displayed on AW. Is this temporary or did they pull the plug?
Citi Thank You is working fine for me.
Schutzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 12, 11:12 pm   #27

I didn't start this thread to hag on AW, I love AW, but with three MAJOR Programs gone, it begs to question whether MORE MAJOR programs are lining up to send Cease & Desist letters. 500+ programs is great, but when the bread and butter like the major airlines start leaving, that makes one worry...
beagleflyer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 12, 11:37 pm   #28

Programs: BA Gold
If these airlines really were concerned about security, they'd implement something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth and allow an API read-only access to account information.
angatol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 12, 6:53 am   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by angatol View Post
If these airlines really were concerned about security, they'd implement something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth and allow an API read-only access to account information.
and exactly WHY would delta, amex, etc spend money opening up their data to others? what's in it for them?

i am baffled by the blind trust that people here seem to be enthusiastically placing in sites like award wallet. i would NEVER provide logon information to a third party to any site i have a financial stake in. why would i trust them? i have more to lose by my information being compromised than i have to gain by participating in the service that they provide. give my security info to award wallet???? never.
squatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 12, 7:08 am   #30

Programs: BA Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch View Post
and exactly WHY would delta, amex, etc spend money opening up their data to others? what's in it for them?
Oh, I don't know. Customer service?

Quote:
i am baffled by the blind trust that people here seem to be enthusiastically placing in sites like award wallet. i would NEVER provide logon information to a third party to any site i have a financial stake in.
Me neither. But I might if they supported oauth and I could provide them with time limited credentials to read-only information.
angatol is offline   Reply With Quote