ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Why is it sometimes that if I search for AAA-BBB roundtrip that "Multiple Airlines" doesn't always come up as an option? When "Multiple Airlines" doesn't come up as an option, it also stops displaying other carrier's flights when I select an outbound flight. Sometimes this makes it necessary to search for a one way on one window, and another one way for the return in an incognito window to piece together two one-ways on different carriers.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
Why is it sometimes that if I search for AAA-BBB roundtrip that "Multiple Airlines" doesn't always come up as an option? When "Multiple Airlines" doesn't come up as an option, it also stops displaying other carrier's flights when I select an outbound flight. Sometimes this makes it necessary to search for a one way on one window, and another one way for the return in an incognito window to piece together two one-ways on different carriers.
Are you sure they are allowed to be combined in the fare rules?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's the same flight whether IST-MLE or IST-CMB. So you aren't looking for a connection, just a single through flight.

Try:-
IST::TK
CMB

If you search for a connection, there may be a rule that prevents you connecting to a subsequent sector of the same flight, ie you cannot connect IST-MLE then MLE-CMB where they are two sectors of the same flight. That may be why the through flight isn't appearing when you search for a connection.
That works perfectly, thanks. Seems like my adding "TK TK" was the culprit..
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:36 am

Is there any way to specify different booking classes (/f bc=x) for different segments of a trip?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by bamba70
Is there any way to specify different booking classes (/f bc=x) for different segments of a trip?
You have to break up the itinerary and perform a multicity search.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bamba70
/f bc doesn't specify booking classes, it specifies the prime booking code of the underlying fare component. Individual sectors on the component may have different booking classes to the primary class.

For instance, LBA-LHR-BOS-ROC could be covered by an F fare, but you would be booked into J/F/Y on the individual sectors.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
That would be irrelevant since I'm allowed to do two separate one-way bookings for the same price, which I usually am. (or even if it's not the same price, to allow me to book separately). It has done it many times in the past (for example, BOS-XXX-SAN, then SAN-YYY-BOS with the multi-carrier option it showed me that it was less to fly to SAN on UA, and return on DL)
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Emphasis mine.]

That would be irrelevant since I'm allowed to do two separate one-way bookings for the same price, which I usually am. (or even if it's not the same price, to allow me to book separately). It has done it many times in the past (for example, BOS-XXX-SAN, then SAN-YYY-BOS with the multi-carrier option it showed me that it was less to fly to SAN on UA, and return on DL)
It would not be irrelevant because you said you are searching for a round trip.

ITA prices you an itinerary that can be sold on one ticket. Using different carriers may or may not allow combinability depending on the rules of the specific fare it is looking at. Then some fares, especially promotional upgrade fares, have stock restrictions that may clash with other fare components on the ticket.

Also there is no need for incognito windows (at least in my experience); multiple ITA tabs work independently in normal mode.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
/f bc doesn't specify booking classes, it specifies the prime booking code of the underlying fare component. Individual sectors on the component may have different booking classes to the primary class.

For instance, LBA-LHR-BOS-ROC could be covered by an F fare, but you would be booked into J/F/Y on the individual sectors.
They can be multiple:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-code-ita.html

e.g. /f bc=F|bc=A|bc=G|bc=P|bc=Y
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
They can be multiple:

Indeed, that specifies the booking class of the underlying fare component (read as, "the cheapest of F,A,G,P or Y"), not the booking code of the individual sectors.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 5:51 pm

[Emphasis mine.]

It would not be irrelevant because you said you are searching for a round trip.

ITA prices you an itinerary that can be sold on one ticket. Using different carriers may or may not allow combinability depending on the rules of the specific fare it is looking at. Then some fares, especially promotional upgrade fares, have stock restrictions that may clash with other fare components on the ticket.

Also there is no need for incognito windows (at least in my experience); multiple ITA tabs work independently in normal mode.
Has this always been the case where ITA will only search for itineraries ticketable on one ticket only? So if I want to search for itineraries where the airline won't sell it to me as a connection, but the connection is totally do-able if booked as two separate tickets, for less money than a direct flight, should I try searching with an OTA instead?

As for the incognito windows, I've found in the past where opening two tabs confused the site (but this was a long time ago, and on Firefox) so I do an incognito window to be safe.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has this always been the case where ITA will only search for itineraries ticketable on one ticket only?
Yes.

So if I want to search for itineraries where the airline won't sell it to me as a connection, but the connection is totally do-able if booked as two separate tickets, for less money than a direct flight, should I try searching with an OTA instead?
An OTA won't sell that to you either. It is a violation of the ticketing authority the airline gave to the agent, if the agent breaches the minimum connect times or the fare combinability provisions. The travel agent, after all, is the "agent" of the airline. Of course you will see a lot of stuff on the OTAs that you didn't see on the airline's website, but that's more about the limitations of airline IT or their decision not to advertise all their products on the website. ITA should pick that up as well.

(Many of the OTAs do use ITA under the skin!)

The OTA could sell it to you as two contracts, as a "hacker fare".
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:21 pm

I have seen the hacker fares on OTAs, and always assumed that the ITA Matrix would display similar results. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
They can be multiple:

Thanks, that's very helpful
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:36 am

Fare Classes Specified on Multiple Airlines

Hello

I tried to post a similar question on a very old thread, but didn't get any responses...

I know you can do
/f bc=F|bc=A|bc=G|bc=P|bc=Y

for fare buckets on any airline, and I thought the code was something like

/f lh..f|ba..a

if you wanted F on LH or A class on BA. But that doesn't work.

Any ideas on the syntax for that? (I don't mind if I take LH or BA, but would want F on LH or A on BA (those fare classes are made up btw).

Thanks!

LHR*G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.