Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
ITA Matrix's "up or down-ness" is really "working properly or not-ness" and that kind of site isn't going to get you very far detecting that.

Any site that throws messages such as "Exceeded boombox request quota" isn't playing by the normal rules
He's right, one problem is the JavaScript part of the site doesn't execute properly on IE, leaving you with a blank page. Check with Firefox or another browser.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
It seems strange to me that they would completely rebuild an app if they were planning to drop it in a few months' time... but then strange things do happen.

Apologies if this has already been reported but I'm having problems with the 'add another flight' option, Previously if you entered a sector for a date before the last flight in the list, the block for the new flight would appear in the correct sequence. Now it seems you cannot do this, only add flights in chronological order.

So for example, if I start with:

Flight 1 LHR-CLT 05Jan
Flight 2 EWR-LHR 16Jan

and I now want to add CLT-EWR on 11Jan.

Previously I would just add it, and flights would resequence automatically

Flight 1 LHR-CLT 05Jan
Flight 2: CLT-EWR 11Jan
Flight 2 EWR-LHR 16Jan

But now I get:

Flight 1 LHR-CLT 05Jan
Flight 2 EWR-LHR 11Jan
Flight 3 CLT-EWR 11Jan

The return date of Flight 2 is set to the same as the new flight.

There seems no way to add a flight into the middle of an existing search. Or am I missing something?
try to set preferred times...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Apologies if this has already been reported but I'm having problems with the 'add another flight' option, Previously if you entered a sector for a date before the last flight in the list, the block for the new flight would appear in the correct sequence. Now it seems you cannot do this, only add flights in chronological order.

There seems no way to add a flight into the middle of an existing search. Or am I missing something?
I too would welcome the return of the previous (very useful) functionality, which at first glance doesn't appear to demand resources from the server.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by redinapoli
try to set preferred times...
Maybe I misunderstand your suggestion but I don't see how it makes any difference to the problem I'm having. Could you elaborate?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
This was more or less what I expected would happen over time once Google acquired these guys. It's the same tune as many tech industry acquisitions. Why keep an ad-free tool that responds to the user's exact commands when you can instead direct those users to a dumbed down ad-supported tool that "helps the customer find the right fare" by offering fewer options? As long as advertisers (read the sellers) are paying for technology, it aint going to work the way we (the buyers) want it to work. Tools like ITA have been a powerful force for those of us who want to know what we can really do with a fare and if what xxx.dumb is showing us is really the best deal.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:20 am

Maybe I misunderstand your suggestion but I don't see how it makes any difference to the problem I'm having. Could you elaborate?
I'm sorry but my English is rusty ....
I understood more .... I tried it and I think it is a bug of matrix ...
you must write flights in the order that you need. Send feedback to google to this problem.
hello
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
keep getting QPX error...
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zainman
keep getting QPX error...
Me too! Matrix unusable right now.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:44 am

In fact, it is worse than worthless because it is intermittently returning "no flights found" on searches that it will find if re-asked again.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Seems like they just completed the 'upgrade' to Ver 3.0

Matrix showcases some of the freshest travel search ideas from ITA Software. Version 3.0 has been completely rebuilt to run on Google technology.
  • Cost per mile filter
  • Geo Search – search by airport code, city, or nearby airport
  • Interactive Calendar – explore date ranges and lowest fares
  • Real-time Filters – focus on flights that suit your preferences
  • Color-coded Time Bars – compare flights at a glance

Nothing seems new, other than I lost all my previous searches at the top.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tabbing from one field to another doesn't work anymore; at least not consistently on Chrome for MacOS.

Running stuff on JavaScript is always a bad idea for accessibility
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:59 pm

A Christmas present from ITA: Response to complaint re: Boombox/QPX/ and other issues.

For what it is worth, here is what I rc'd today after griping to ITA Matrix support:

"I'm sorry that the site has been having capacity problems again over the last few days. However, there have been no capacity issues over the last roughly 24 hours and we are trying to keep it that way.

If you run into other errors, especially with calendar searches misbehaving, try refreshing the page. We will update the site to fix these errors over the coming weeks."

Google Groups "Matrix and OnTheFly Help Forum"
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by jpauls123
For what it is worth, here is what I rc'd today after griping to ITA Matrix support:
Given that it's a free service at the moment I'm not sure I'd have the .... to complain. Thanks for the info though.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 25, 2014 at 9:05 pm Reason: the Rules, please!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Hi

Does anyone know why Matrix ITA shows flights available on Emirates > 330 days in the future? I guess these cannot be purchased?

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Calchas
Tabbing from one field to another doesn't work anymore; at least not consistently on Chrome for MacOS.

Running stuff on JavaScript is always a bad idea for accessibility
Same here - Chrome on Win7.

Also, it appears that clicking in a date field pulls up the calendar, but clicking on an actual date in the calendar no longer does anything...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.