ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
ITA slow/inop for anyone else?

I can't even get it to complete a simple DFW-LAS calendar search for 1-2 nights.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:54 pm

unable to process your request

I'm getting the same results; ITA works if I search exact dates, however see calendar of lowest fares is returning "Sorry, the server was unable to process your request. If this continues to happen, please try again later."
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Get the same error message. ITA really has gone downhill lately.
Is there any other good search engine out there?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Complete meltdown of ITA today: "Sorry, the server was unable to process your request. If this continues to happen, please try again".

Time for a new search engine! What Flyertalker feels up to the task of programming a new website?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:45 pm

I asked one of my D&D buddies who works at the company formerly known as ITA about the "server unable to process your request" errors, and he said google.com/flights will be the site going forward.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rajin
I asked one of my D&D buddies who works at the company formerly known as ITA about the "server unable to process your request" errors, and he said google.com/flights will be the site going forward.
I had a look at google.com/flights... it's worse than any of the other OTAs. Zero options to use codes to narrow down flights.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Complete meltdown of ITA today: "Sorry, the server was unable to process your request. If this continues to happen, please try again".

Time for a new search engine! What Flyertalker feels up to the task of programming a new website?
This is funny. The ITA codebase was built up over the last decade and is acknowledged as the best in the industry. I am certain there are exactly zero programmers on FT right now, who can program this in less than a few years and less than millions in budget.

Originally Posted by rajin
ITA Matrix is very different from Google flights. There is no way Google Flights will replace ITA Matrix.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckpeter
This is funny. The ITA codebase was built up over the last decade and is acknowledged as the best in the industry. I am certain there are exactly zero programmers on FT right now, who can program this in less than a few years and less than millions in budget..
I thought ITA was nothing more than a fancy GUI.
Maybe KVS or EF can pick up the slack and expand into fare search.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:45 pm

I thought ITA was nothing more than a fancy GUI.
Maybe KVS or EF can pick up the slack and expand into fare search.
ITA has a fare search product that is used to power many of the major airlines and OTA sites. Matrix is the name of the development / testing front-end that ITA engineers provide, as a courtesy, to travel hackers to play around with and to get ideas from.

KVS and EF, as great as they are, are not on the same level. The ITA backend is highly complex and sophisticated, took years and some of the best minds in the industry to develop. This isn't just a front end nice interface to a backend. This is the backend.

If anyone were to go into this field anew, they will have to charge, at a minimum, several hundred dollars to each of the tens of thousands of FTer, annually, just to recoup their investment. Not trying to be hard on you, but sometimes people have no idea how expensive some of the free services cost.

My guess is that there are some temporary issue with the mini backend setup that powers Matrix. Hopefully they will be resolved soon.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckpeter
ITA has a fare search product that is used to power many of the major airlines and OTA sites. Matrix is the name of the development / testing front-end that ITA engineers provide, as a courtesy, to travel hackers to play around with and to get ideas from.
Who are the competitors of ITA? I believe Orbitz uses ITA, but what about Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, Priceline, etc.?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
even with specific simple RT search, i can't get the search result from it
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:49 am

ITA down?

I am getting 502 server errors on ITA for the past few minutes, anyone else seeing this?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
No problems here
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:18 am

Alright, seems to be working again :-)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:28 am

Who are the competitors of ITA? I believe Orbitz uses ITA, but what about Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, Priceline, etc.?
Unfortunately, I am not an expert in this field and my knowledge is limited. I know that some of the OTA have their own pricing/fare search systems, and I know of one company called everbread that provides fare search as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.