ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:34 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Well whatever it was it's up now.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I hope I'll be forgiven if I don't navigate the entire thread. Let me explain what I'm trying to accomplish and ask if EF would be helpful for me.

1) I principally fly one route, PHL-LAS and return. I'd like a tool that would let me assess F availability, either as an elite upgrade or an award ticket. For example, when I buy a ticket I'd like to be able to guess at my UG chances when I take the flight (might have to track a particular flight for a while to see this, and it might vary by day of the week), or to see UG possibilities for an earlier or later flight on the day of departure. I am mostly flying USAir and I know things will change when the merger is completed in a couple of months, but their seat maps often block out the entire first row of F and I don't know if they have sold these seats or reserve them for departure or what. If I see an F cabin with 2 seats available, they might have 0 UG seats available, or 6.

2) In a related vein, I might try to go for AA EXP status to get unlimited upgrades, and I'd like to have a tool to assess whether this will get me up front 10% of the time or 90%.

3) I might occasionally want to assess the likelihood of successful use of systemwide UG's if I ever get them.

4) Fares vary widely on this route day to day and flight to flight. I'd like to be able to figure out if that low fare I see is the last seat available or if there are many such seats left. This may be very chancy, since it seems like US currently tries to match Spirit's fares on this route (some of their fares seem to be restricted by time of day, based on when Spirit has a competing flight) so US/AA might well have a low fare and as soon as Spirit sells out their lowest fare, US/AA might raise theirs.

Would EF be a useful tool for what I'm trying to do?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
I hope I'll be forgiven if I don't navigate the entire thread. Let me explain what I'm trying to accomplish and ask if EF would be helpful for me.

1) I principally fly one route, PHL-LAS and return. I'd like a tool that would let me assess F availability, either as an elite upgrade or an award ticket. For example, when I buy a ticket I'd like to be able to guess at my UG chances when I take the flight (might have to track a particular flight for a while to see this, and it might vary by day of the week), or to see UG possibilities for an earlier or later flight on the day of departure. I am mostly flying USAir and I know things will change when the merger is completed in a couple of months, but their seat maps often block out the entire first row of F and I don't know if they have sold these seats or reserve them for departure or what. If I see an F cabin with 2 seats available, they might have 0 UG seats available, or 6.

2) In a related vein, I might try to go for AA EXP status to get unlimited upgrades, and I'd like to have a tool to assess whether this will get me up front 10% of the time or 90%.

3) I might occasionally want to assess the likelihood of successful use of systemwide UG's if I ever get them.

4) Fares vary widely on this route day to day and flight to flight. I'd like to be able to figure out if that low fare I see is the last seat available or if there are many such seats left. This may be very chancy, since it seems like US currently tries to match Spirit's fares on this route (some of their fares seem to be restricted by time of day, based on when Spirit has a competing flight) so US/AA might well have a low fare and as soon as Spirit sells out their lowest fare, US/AA might raise theirs.

Would EF be a useful tool for what I'm trying to do?
I have been an EF user for a while and my use cases are very similar to yours. I use EF for assessing inventory level and load on AA flights, trying to figure out my standby or upgrade chances. I used EF with great success for planning redemption of SWU, especially with the alert feature.

I think if you fly AA enough, you will find EF to be invaluable for understanding your travel possibilities.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:57 pm

Is it only me or EF acting up today?
Shows UA and AF and others in OW availability
Some other options don't work such as "show nonstop flights only", etc
Feels very buggy today
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:33 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by avagyan
Feels very buggy today
OW direct lookups - no problems here...
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:35 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by avagyan
Feels very buggy today
If you have a specific query you want us to look at, please email customercare@ with the particulars, but there is no issue with the system currently.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:19 pm

ExpertFlyer or AwardNexus for Flying Blue?

Hi guys,

I'd like to get an alert when my AF flights in economy can be upgraded when there's availability in premium eco (A booking class) or business (O booking class).

I bought a 1 month ExpertFlyer membership, but it says "The Air France Award search shows partner award inventory. Availability to Flying Blue members may be greater."

Would Award Nexus give me the actual Flying Blue availability?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:52 am

Hello, I just signed up on the forum to get some advice and feedback on using EFlyer.
I have been researching flights from Toronto - Frankfurt in October. I find the prices reasonable around $500-$600 on flights like 9W or UA. However, when I goto the airline pages to find those, the prices are in the $1200-$1300 extremes. I did find that 9W charges a fuel surcharge that is around $400. Not sure if UA does the same as I couldnt see the price breakdown but the price was high.

My question is how do I translate what I find in EF into something I can actually buy. I have been to ITA matrix but same thing as prices dont match with EF. I'm still learning much about the class codes etc but just wanted to figure out this part. Any advise is appreciated. I have been on many blogs and website on how to do this n that in accessing flights.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by eyesinthesky
My question is how do I translate what I find in EF into something I can actually buy. I have been to ITA matrix but same thing as prices dont match with EF.
The fares you see listed on EF are base fares. You have to add the taxes, fees and charges to them.

If you price a specific itinerary on ITA, you'll see a breakdown of the total price. The first line(s) of these are the base fare(s) that are used for the fare calculation. They ought to match fare(s) that you can see on EF - the fare basis code (a long string of often apparently-random letters and numbers) may help you to identify the relevant fare(s). The remainder of the lines are the taxes, fees and charges that are added to the base fare to make up the total.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:28 pm

ok thanks will check it again.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:32 am
brg

Are there any coupons for renewals of ExpertFlyer?
I find that I use it a lot when planning trips, but that is onlyonce in a while and it is a midway between paying monthly for it and paying for unlimited access
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by brg
I find that I use it a lot when planning trips, but that is onlyonce in a while and it is a midway between paying monthly for it and paying for unlimited access
I don't immediately understand why you'd have any difficulty with paying $9.99 per month for unlimited (premium) access, but only in the months that you do want to use it.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:35 pm

Is there some documentation for how to interpret the detailed flight status?

For AS11 departing on 9/13, I see this:

Code:
SCHEDULE     ACTUAL     DELAY/CANCEL   ARRIVAL          
CITY  ARRV  DEPT   ARRV  DEPT   CODES          GATE            
EWR2  ORIG  520P         721P  0L/0M                           
SEA   835P  TERM                                               

0L - LATE ARRIVAL                                              
0M - MECHANICAL                                                
2EWR/IN 0648P *1748
3EWR/ETD0730P 2.10L DUE RAMP SERVICE  *1820
4EWR/OUT0721P  2.01L  OFF0754P *1855
2SEA/ETA1024P 1.49L CREW CALLED IN  *1929
It changed a few times while things on the ground happened:
Code:
0L - LATE ARRIVAL                                              
0M - MECHANICAL                                                
4EWR/OUT0604P 0.44L  *1704
2EWR/IN 0648P *1748
3EWR/ETD0705P 1.45L DUE CUSTOMER SERVICE  *1749
2SEA/ETA1008P 1.33L  *1749
Code:
0L - LATE ARRIVAL                                              
0M - MECHANICAL                                                
3EWR/ETD0550P 0.30L DUE MECHANICAL  *1640
4EWR/OUT0604P 0.44L  *1704
2SEA/ETA0853P 0.18L  *1640
The flight had a delay pushing back, was taxiing and then had to return to the gate, then left again.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
EF seems to be off but is redirecting to <redacted by moderator> - is it a legitimate one?

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 21, 2015 at 1:28 pm Reason: URL of the ExpertFlyer test server removed at EF's request
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Keter
EF seems to be off but is redirecting to <redacted> - is it a legitimate one?
Behaving normally for me. If the above mentioned behavior continues for you, check your set up. Check for malware, change DNS server, delete cookies, try different browser, etc.

Also, for faster attention, email expertflyer team.

Anyway, I would not provide any login credentials at the suspect site.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 21, 2015 at 1:30 pm Reason: Edited to conform to redaction of quoted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.