ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Why does class of service availability change on a particular flight when putting in different connections. Example: BOS DCA PHX on July 25th: Flying on US 2142 and connecting to US 563, EF shows F9 and X5 on flight 563. Flying on US 2139 and connecting to US 563 (the same flight from DCA to PHX), EF shows F8 X1 on flight 563. Doesn't make sense to me! Any explanation? Thx for your insight!
It's called "married segment logic".

Basically, whether the airline thinks selling a seat on a particular flight is going to be profitable depends on the behaviour of the whole flight network. So in this case if you are a group of 5 in X class they want you on the US 2142 -> US 563 rather than US 2139 -> US 563.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
I've noticed a "quirk" with a couple of recent timetable searches I have performed - flights are returned whose dates of applicability are outside the date range I have specified.

An example:
Searching for the timetable for DOH-NBO on 25/01/2016 with the "Search up to 7 days from this date" ticked

The results returned are (scroll right to see highlighted dates that are outside my specified date range):
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Timetables Search:
Search DOH to NBO on 25/01/16  up to 7 days

Flight         Stops   Depart            Arrive            Aircraft     Duration         Frequency        Effective        Ending
QR 1337        0       DOH 3:55          NBO 9:10          320          5 hrs 15 mins    Daily            25/10/15         16/07/16

QR 1337        0       DOH 3:55          NBO 9:30          320          5 hrs 35 mins    Daily            03/07/15         24/10/15

QR 1339        0       DOH 7:35          NBO 12:35         320          5 hrs 0 mins     Daily            26/10/15         26/03/16

QR 1339        0       DOH 7:35          NBO 12:50         320          5 hrs 15 mins    Daily            01/09/15         23/10/15

QR 1339        0       DOH 7:35          NBO 13:10         320          5 hrs 35 mins    Daily            03/07/15         31/08/15
Not too difficult to cope with in the example, but for another search I did (SYD-LAX on the same date) the returned results are daunting, even when filtered to just show the QF flights (16 of the 18 rows are outside the specified date range!).

Note that unticking the "Search up to 7 days from this date" returns results that are in range.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:16 am

I've hardly used my ExpertFlyer subscription for the past year or two because of reduced travel so am a bit out of the loop on changes.

I was aware of the Delta problems, but have just now discovered that I cannot search for awards and upgrades for SAS or Lufthansa. Is that correct? Any outlook on whether or not they will be restored?

My annual subscription was just renewed and I had no idea that the airlines I fly were no longer supported.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:41 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I've hardly used...
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I've noticed a "quirk"...
Hi, please send any bug reports or customer service/account questions directly to us at [email protected] so we can help you best, thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hi, need some guidance please. Just joined Expert Flyer for a trial and found this fare to travel 23Nov DUB-PHX and 01Dec PHX-DUB;

ILR28AP AA I Round-Trip 984.00(GBP) B 11/23/14 11/30/15 SU / 12M 28

When I called AA they are quoting GBP1,260.90. What am I doing wrong or is the Expert Flyer fare plus TAX?

Many thanks
AX
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AlphaXray
... is the Expert Flyer fare plus TAX?
The EF fare listing gives base fare only. So yes, you would pay £984 + taxes, fees and charges.

If you use ITA to price the itinerary now (remembering to specify results in GBP), you'll see that the breakdown shows that the base fare is £494.91 + £494.91 = £989.82, plus TFC to make a total of £1,259.70. (Some rounding errors and currency movements are common if you're asking for a price in a different currency from the one in the country of origin. EF shows me a fare of £990.00 at the moment.)
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by AlphaXray
Hi, need some guidance please. Just joined Expert Flyer for a trial and found this fare to travel 23Nov DUB-PHX and 01Dec PHX-DUB;

ILR28AP AA I Round-Trip 984.00(GBP) B 11/23/14 11/30/15 SU / 12M 28

When I called AA they are quoting GBP1,260.90. What am I doing wrong or is the Expert Flyer fare plus TAX?

Many thanks
AX
Originating in DUB the fare should be quoted in Euros not GBP. And yes the EF fares listed are base fares, exclude taxes and fees. There is a 212 GBP YR surcharge (carrier/fuel surcharge) plus many small airport/customs/etc fees. Add it all up and the 984 GBP does turn into 1260 GBP final price.

ExpertFlyer is quoting the base fare only which is really rather unhelpful especially transatlantic where the fuel surcharges can be substantial.

DAK
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The EF fare listing gives base fare only. So yes, you would pay £984 + taxes, fees and charges.
GLobaliser and DAK thanks for the information, much appreciated.

AX

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 17, 2015 at 9:56 am Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
Originating in DUB the fare should be quoted in Euros not GBP. And yes the EF fares listed are base fares, exclude taxes and fees. There is a 212 GBP YR surcharge (carrier/fuel surcharge) plus many small airport/customs/etc fees. Add it all up and the 984 GBP does turn into 1260 GBP final price.

ExpertFlyer is quoting the base fare only which is really rather unhelpful especially transatlantic where the fuel surcharges can be substantial.

DAK
By-the-way.... This is a totally fantastic business class fare as you probably realize. Spend your money wisely.... namely, consider DUB-LHR-PHX on BA rather than DUB-PHL-PHX on AA. Price is almost the same (LHR fees make it about 50 GBP more expensive) but I would be much happier in BA club world all the way to PHX than connecting in PHL onto domestic first for another 5 hours.

DAK
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkerr
By-the-way.... This is a totally fantastic business class fare as you probably realize. Spend your money wisely.... namely, consider DUB-LHR-PHX on BA rather than DUB-PHL-PHX on AA. Price is almost the same (LHR fees make it about 50 GBP more expensive) but I would be much happier in BA club world all the way to PHX than connecting in PHL onto domestic first for another 5 hours.

DAK
It's a regular fare for Dublin to North America. Not even a sale.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Let's try to stay on topic - help using ExpertFlyer.com - and stay away from discussion of fares.

Thanks,

TWA884
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm having trouble getting EF to list all fares on a particular route.

What I'm after is JNB-CPT on BA. Using LON as the point of sale and all travel dates, the lowest displayed fare is in V class. This matches what I can buy using a UK-based OTA.

However, I know that the lowest publicly-available fare is in O class. BA will sell this to me directly.

But putting JNB or CPT (or any other ZA point) into the "Purchasing City" option box in EF won't show this fare, or any fares lower than V.

Am I missing something here?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:19 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'm having trouble getting EF to list all fares on a particular route.

What I'm after is JNB-CPT on BA. Using LON as the point of sale and all travel dates, the lowest displayed fare is in V class. This matches what I can buy using a UK-based OTA.

However, I know that the lowest publicly-available fare is in O class. BA will sell this to me directly.

But putting JNB or CPT (or any other ZA point) into the "Purchasing City" option box in EF won't show this fare, or any fares lower than V.

Am I missing something here?
We get our data from the same reservation systems that the travel agencies do, so it would make sense that we show what they do. It would seem that BA is only selling certain fares thru their own website, as such we wouldn't see them if they aren't being published thru other channels.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
We get our data from the same reservation systems that the travel agencies do, so it would make sense that we show what they do. It would seem that BA is only selling certain fares thru their own website, as such we wouldn't see them if they aren't being published thru other channels.
The Matrix sees the O fare
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
I did wonder about that, but I don't think that's the case.

OTAs in ZA will offer the low O class fare.

And ITA will price the O class fare on the basis that the selling city is in ZA (which is ITA's default). That alone suggests that this is a published fare.

However, if you manually change the selling city to the UK, then the lowest price quoted by ITA is the higher V class fare (in line with the EF display with selling city specified as LON).

This would suggest that the lower fares are only available for sale in ZA (or a limited region, at any rate) - but that's why I thought that the lower fares ought to be displayed by EF if the selling city is specified as (say) JNB.

So I'm still wondering if I'm missing something or whether there is a bug here. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.