ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 1:28 am
Community Director Emerita

I'll move this along to the Travel Tool forum where you'll see discussion of both this and other software tools for finding award inventory.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL SM
ExpertFlyer: frustrated in using it to find DL flights

I must be missing the point of the ExpertFlyer website. Nearly all my flying is on DL, and heavily international. For planning I use mostly the DL website, kayak, matrix.itasoftware.com, and occasional others. With sufficient time I find surprisingly similar fares among these sites, and can minimize a fare and get a reservation. My trips often emphasize distance (or distance per unit cost) in order to build mileage.

Despite having a premium membership in ExpertFlyer for several months, I have yet to find them useful for finding real flights. Flight availability and fare information seem to be completely independent functions, and mouth-watering fares a fraction of DL's fares are frequently shown. Yet these low fares are nowhere available on sites where you can actually book flights.

Is there any ardent fan who can point me to help on this?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:56 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
There is a travel tools forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/

I'm going to move your thread there as Community Buzz forum is for discussion of Flyertalk meetings/Dos.

Willie
co-moderator Community Buzz
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Perhaps these two guides can help you understand how to use Expertflyer more effectively and how best to interpret its data:

http://www.expertflyer.com/edu-guide.pdf

http://www.expertflyer.com/user-guide.pdf

The Fares section on EF will list all possible fares for a route and, just as important, the rules that need to be followed for that fare. But for a particular flight a particular fare may not be available because the inventory for that particular fare bucket may be sold out.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by BrianMinn
I must be missing the point of the ExpertFlyer website. Nearly all my flying is on DL, and heavily international. For planning I use mostly the DL website, kayak, matrix.itasoftware.com, and occasional others. With sufficient time I find surprisingly similar fares among these sites, and can minimize a fare and get a reservation. My trips often emphasize distance (or distance per unit cost) in order to build mileage.

Despite having a premium membership in ExpertFlyer for several months, I have yet to find them useful for finding real flights. Flight availability and fare information seem to be completely independent functions, and mouth-watering fares a fraction of DL's fares are frequently shown. Yet these low fares are nowhere available on sites where you can actually book flights.

As a DL frequent flier, I feel exactly the same way you do! Does't seem to be as valuable for DL fliers.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:38 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by BrianMinn

As inlanikai pointed out, the EduGuide http://www.expertflyer.com/edu-guide.pdf will help you understand the relationship between the published fare tariffs and availability of those fares. ExpertFlyer wasn't built to be a low fare search website.

Originally Posted by cmh flyer
As a DL frequent flier, I feel exactly the same way you do! Does't seem to be as valuable for DL fliers.

For Delta, one unique value point is that only ExpertFlyer shows Z,X,V,G upgrade inventory for DL flights. As a Delta PM, you might find that valuable. Also, since DL upgrades can require certain coach fare classes to be upgradeable, you would use the Fare Information search to determine the relative prices of the upgradeable coach fares vs others.

ExpertFlyer also shows award inventory for SkyTeam partners such as AF and KL. (full list here)

That is in addition to our other unique features such as Flight Alerts (alerting for fare/award/upgrade inventory), Seat Alerts, etc.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:55 pm

Cool ExpertFlyer/UA website pricing discrepancy question (cheap surf trip?)

I'm new to the site, I found an inexpensive UA booking class K on ExpertFlyer $167 EWR-LIR round trip 19JUL12-01AUG12. When I force the K class on UA website it comes up slightly more expensive ($420 inc. tax) than the S class which showed a base of $306 ($417 inc tax)round trip on ExpertFlyer. Expert Flyer showed K availability on all segments. It appears all rules are met. Any ideas whats wrong or how to get the cheap fare? Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:18 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by daveFLN
I'm new to the site, I found an inexpensive UA booking class K on ExpertFlyer $167 EWR-LIR round trip 19JUL12-01AUG12. When I force the K class on UA website it comes up slightly more expensive ($420 inc. tax) than the S class which showed a base of $306 ($417 inc tax)round trip on ExpertFlyer. Expert Flyer showed K availability on all segments. It appears all rules are met. Any ideas whats wrong or how to get the cheap fare? Thank you for your help!
You are looking at the fares without surcharges. If you look at the fares with surcharges added you get:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Fare Information Search:

Departing EWR on 07/19/12 for LIR
Returning on 08/01/12
Flying UA  
Viewing in currency USD
Validated Results

Fare Basis  Airline  Booking  Trip Type   Fare           Cabin  Effective  Expiration  Min/Max  Advanced
                     Class                                      Date       Date        Stay     Purchase Req
KNX0C9LS    UA       K        Round-Trip  327.00 (USD)   E                             02 / --  
SNN4A5LN    UA       S        Round-Trip  330.00 (USD)   E                                      14
KNN0C9LS    UA       K        Round-Trip  347.00 (USD)   E                             02 / --  
VNN4A5LN    UA       V        Round-Trip  370.00 (USD)   E                                      14
VNN7A5LN    UA       V        Round-Trip  378.00 (USD)   E                                      07
QNN4A5LN    UA       Q        Round-Trip  450.00 (USD)   E                                      14
SNX4A9LS    UA       S        Round-Trip  466.00 (USD)   E                                      14
HNX4A5LN    UA       H        Round-Trip  538.00 (USD)   E                                      14
HNN4A5LN    UA       H        Round-Trip  540.00 (USD)   E                                      14
UNN7A5LN    UA       U        Round-Trip  550.00 (USD)   E                                      07
UNX7A5LN    UA       U        Round-Trip  618.00 (USD)   E                                      07
UNN0A5LN    UA       U        Round-Trip  640.00 (USD)   E                                      
ENN0A5LN    UA       E        Round-Trip  690.00 (USD)   E                                      
ENX0A5LN    UA       E        Round-Trip  708.00 (USD)   E                                      
MNN0A5LN    UA       M        Round-Trip  850.00 (USD)   E                                      
BNN0A5LN    UA       B        Round-Trip  970.00 (USD)   E                                      
ZNX4E9LN    UA       Z        Round-Trip  1082.00 (USD)  B                             SU / --  14
ZNX1C9LN    UA       Z        Round-Trip  1182.00 (USD)  B                             02 / --  10
DNX3C9LN    UA       D        Round-Trip  1302.00 (USD)  B                             02 / --  03
YNN0A9LY    UA       Y        Round-Trip  1380.00 (USD)  E                                      
DNN0A9LY    UA       D        Round-Trip  1802.00 (USD)  B                                      
CNN0A9LY    UA       C        Round-Trip  1962.00 (USD)  B                                      
JNN0A9LY    UA       J        Round-Trip  2142.00 (USD)  B
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: hilton spg aa
ExpertFlyer - assistance / help requests for newbies

Hi,

Just subscribed as premium member. How do i find booking class/fare for a given flight on given days for AA?

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by batyam
Hi,

Just subscribed as premium member. How do i find booking class/fare for a given flight on given days for AA?

Thanks
What do you mean? Are you looking for published fares on a route, the availability of a fare for a route, or something else?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As this was posted initially in the ExpertFlyer Master Information and Updates Thread, we have moved your query into its own thread.

Please take a few minutes to go to the American AAdvantage Forum (link) and look over the "sticky" FAQ thread at the top of the Forum page; there are information and links to relevant threads there, as well as a Wiki, that will answer your questions.

JDiver, Senior Moderator

Hi,

Thanks

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:03 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Hi,

Thanks
Welcome to ExpertFlyer batyam. First, go here:
http://www.expertflyer.com/new-to-expertflyer and read the EduGuide, it explains availability, fares and the relationship between them. If you still have questions, feel free to post here or email us.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: hilton spg aa
Looking for published fares on given flight. Specifically, JFK to LHR on 5/1/13, flight 100. Did go over user guide but couldnt find it. Understand it is basic, i just seems not to be able to find the right page.

Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:42 am

Looking for published fares on given flight. Specifically, JFK to LHR on 5/1/13, flight 100. Did go over user guide but couldnt find it. Understand it is basic, i just seems not to be able to find the right page.

Thanks
You're looking for Fare Information. See page 8 in the user guide.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:35 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Thanks
Please read the EduGuide (not the User Guide) which explains how to do what you are trying to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.