ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Yes!

You can sign up for an annual or a monthly subscription. There is a section for alerts that allows you to specify a specific flight and requirement (for example, R and RN) for the upgrades. Pretty easy to use and minimal learning curve.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by mdobbins
Yes!

You can sign up for an annual or a monthly subscription. There is a section for alerts that allows you to specify a specific flight and requirement (for example, R and RN) for the upgrades. Pretty easy to use and minimal learning curve.
THanks. I gather the free version won't do what i want? I'm currently flying about 8 times a year - enough for at least silver, hoping to stay gold.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: Free Agent
Totally worth the subscription if you suffer from upgrade waitlist anxiety- or even to preplan to avoid the waitlist! I am an elementary level user but have found the alert system easy to set up. I am also starting to use the fare tool to pull fares on obscure routes that the airline search function can't (or won't) find; means a call to the TA, but has also saved me big $$ to JNB and DXB on *A.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by flyer215
p.s. got lucky on the "call if RN > 0" for a waitlist thing... they aren't supposed to be doing that because there might be people ahead of you on the waitlist...
if that's the policy then what's the purpose of setting up an EF alert? it would seem to me that it should go automatically in order then, no? not sure what calling in would get me in that case.

honest question, not rhetorical. i'm planning on flying on some US-asia tickets later and hoping to use SWU's so i'm trying to figure this all out too.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
if that's the policy then what's the purpose of setting up an EF alert? it would seem to me that it should go automatically in order then, no? not sure what calling in would get me in that case.

honest question, not rhetorical. i'm planning on flying on some US-asia tickets later and hoping to use SWU's so i'm trying to figure this all out too.
Im not sure its policy. I had a RPU (CR1) wait listed for a LAX-JFK PS flight at the end of the month, saw R>0 and called in. The lady i spoke with was happy to do whatever it was on her end to clear it, and then asked me to hold for 10 minutes so she could file a report to whatever desk that is handling IT glitches.
As other have said, pays to be proactive
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
if that's the policy then what's the purpose of setting up an EF alert? it would seem to me that it should go automatically in order then, no? not sure what calling in would get me in that case....
That's the point of the value of the alert. Although it should go in order, due to the hiccups of the current IT sys sometimes calling in one can get someone to manually force the UG when RN > 0.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by nzpilot
That's the point of the value of the alert. Although it should go in order, due to the hiccups of the current IT sys sometimes calling in one can get someone to manually force the UG when RN > 0.
gotcha. so hypothetically in the perfectly working world where the IT systems are working properly and according to UA policy (could be years, but just trying to understand), in that world once i go online and apply a GPU to my itin, calling in shouldn't have any effect and theoretically the upgrades would just clear automatically according to whatever order the system puts us in, right? i'm guessing in that situation the EF alerts wouldn't do me much good?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
As it happens, I just got emails today for flight alerts I set up on EF. I booked a one-way in business class, LHR-SFO in November. I scooped up that award within hours after United released it. I could have been checking united.com day after day, but I'd rather not do that.

ExpertFlyer is possibly the best value I get for $100/year when it comes to travel. The whole point of my mileage acquisition is to get very scare premium cabin awards. EF gives me my best shot of getting those.

ETA the email I got from EF today (you can tell I'm not too concerned about privacy):

Dear Andrew Dhuey,

This is a notification that your Flight Alert "BEY return LHR F" has located at least 1 availability opening(s) at this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For: UA931/First/Business - Saver Award and Alliance Upgrades (I)
Date: 11/13/12 1:35 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please log in (http://www.expertflyer.com) to view further information regarding this flight.

Thank you,
The ExpertFlyer.com Team
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG

Hmm, good point. Maybe the problem is only occurring within the CPU window.

Outside it, perhaps the system never sets R/RN > 0 if there are folks with instruments on the waitlist until it has handed out the upgrades to those people.

Let's say that is true. (At least in a theoretical working system.) You still might want the alert in case, say, an alternate route opens up with confirmable-at-call-in-time upgrade space. Or if you are in a situation (like I was) where you are not allowed to waitlist, but have to have RN > 0 to upgrade (in my case, upgrading an award seat).

And there are other types of alerts, of course, beyond upgrade space.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:10 pm

I use Expertflyer to identify accurate award space and its a paid service and free try for 4-5 days is available.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exmidex
Police will not bust down my door if I let my nephew play a computer game that I paid for.
Nor is that nearly the same thing as buying a personal subscription for a service and then sharing it with others in circumvention of the rules.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
So i signed up to expert flyer and im trying to get an alert for when a saver award in first opens up on flight 120 from EWR>BCN

I'm given the options:

Options
Treat Premium Only seats as available
Treat Paid seats as available
Treat Blocked seats as available

Seats to look for
Any Seat
Any Aisle Seat
Any Window Seat
Any Exit Row Seat
Any 2 Seats Together
Select Specific Seats
Am i in the right place? Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:22 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by njxbean
So i signed up to expert flyer and im trying to get an alert for when a saver award in first opens up on flight 120 from EWR>BCN

I'm given the options:

Am i in the right place? Thanks.
No, you are looking at Seat Alerts, you want Flight Alerts. As noted on our site (http://www.expertflyer.com/frequent-flyer-programs) Flight Alerts is a Premium level feature, however you can try a 5-day free trial of our Premium service by clicking the Upgrade button after you log-in.
Old May 4, 2012, 6:01 pm

possible to search partner airlines with expertflyer?

Is it possible to search partner airtlines with expertflyer.com? I subscribed for 5 day trial and while it does excellent job of displaying UA or AA awards, it doesn't include their partners. Any other program/site do that?
Old May 5, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Try our Travel Tools Forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.