FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Award booking services - a list and some reviews (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1296363-award-booking-services-list-some-reviews.html)

AtlantaAngel Oct 30, 2014 6:21 pm

I recently used Mile Value to plan a trip to Tahiti and Australia - they were quick to respond and within about 30 hours after my first email to them, they booked me two tickets from ATL - LAX - PPT - AKL - SYD - LAX - SYD. 3 legs in business (LAX - PPT; PPT - AKL; and SYD - LAX) and the other 3 in coach. All ticketed as one. Total price for two tickets: 320,000 Skymiles and $440 in fuel surcharges per ticket. The $250 we paid to Mile Value was money well spent! (Incidentally, the person who helped me said they had to spend over 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Delta to get it ticketed....not surprised). I was curious and added up the cost if I had actually paid for the tickets - $19,725.19!!

wco81 Oct 30, 2014 9:01 pm

I wouldn't dream of using any of these services recommended by low-post count screen names here.

Yet they continue to do it so some FTers must be biting?

lin821 Oct 31, 2014 2:36 am

Originally Posted by b8b (Post 23740490)

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 23229571)
So this is the 4th review from a member with just 1 posts.... please stop pumping your own service!

___
___

To be fair, the RTW1 quote was directed toward another site. I think they stopped pumping when confronted (by humble me) back in August.

Originally Posted by b8b (Post 23740490)
Three posts recommending a service, two by posters with only these posts and registered this month and last with and another August with 12 (filler) posts. Hmmm...

But you just outed another new "contender." I hope sites/services like this will realize reviews from newbies or low post count FTers won't help their business as they had expected on FT.

jackal Oct 31, 2014 3:24 am

Originally Posted by lin821 (Post 23767571)
But you just outed another new "contender." I hope sites/services like this will realize reviews from newbies or low post count FTers won't help their business as they had expected on FT.

If I were launching a new award booking service, I'd offer 50%--or maybe even 90%--off to the first 10 FlyerTalk members with at least 1,000 posts who promise to review my service in this thread. :)

skyvanman Oct 31, 2014 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Kenny Lok (Post 23362580)
Finished one hours worth with Andrew from shrewdtravel.com and that was enough to get me into the award bookings game :)..the guy is an award booking beast who has the ins and outs competency drilled into himself.

Just noticed this post.

Glad you were satisfied with our service. It was a pleasure helping get you started and we're here whenever you need help in the future.

Hope you're able to get as much enjoyment out of this hobby as I've been able to, it's truly magical what can be done with miles when you know how to maximize.

AtlantaAngel Oct 31, 2014 5:44 am

Don't know if anyone is referring to me since I do have low posts (but lurk all the time). If anyone wants to see the awesome itinerary Mile Value booked for me or any of our emails back and forth PM me and I'm happy to share. Not trying to promote them per se.... just saying I had a great experience. ...after having a not so good experience with another service (one that was pumping it's own service on here in fact...). And if anyone doubts I'm real due to my low posts thus far, come meet me at DC FTU. I'll be there!

tahmahnawis Nov 2, 2014 7:37 am

We tried using Milevalue but the results were not good. I had to clarify the dates and destinations, which was my fault as we were trying to give lots of flexibility. But the end result was a return date later than we specified and one too many destinations. Not sure why my booking was a problem as I have read many of Scott's posts with extremely complicated bookings.

pkerr Nov 4, 2014 7:38 am

Originally Posted by franknuss (Post 23535048)
I just used PointsPros to book my business class honeymoon flights for my South Africa trip (NYC-JNB) and HIGHLY recommend them. Was only working on 10 weeks notice, so trying to find reasonable NYC-JNB routing options that didn't cost 500,000+ AMEX points total for 2 people (my only currency) was proving very difficult. Couldn't get the direct SAA flights and then started looking into the EWR-ATL-JNB flights but anything below 500K miles was gone (and the layovers weren't even ideal). Gave Mero at PointsPros different dates to work with and different itineraries as well (flying into Cape Town, leaving JNB). Only requirements were that all legs must be in business/first. Pickings were slim.

After MUCH very helpful and patient back-and-forth with Mero at PP providing me multiple sample itineraries, I settled on a NYC-LHR-JNB/JNB-CDG-NYC itinerary with Virgin Atlantic there, Air France back. All biz class. 11 hr layover in London on way there (will pop into city to visit friends, then back to Virgin Upper Class lounge) and only 2 1/2 hour layover in Paris on return. All in all, pretty good flights given the options. Would have had difficulty finding them myself. Spent 320,000 miles + $300 airline fees (plus another $300 to PointsPros, paid at the very end of the process).

All in all, VERY pleased with the professionalism at PP. Good response, very insightful (lots of details about seats, airport transfers, airline policies, etc) and exceedingly professional. Thanks Mero for helping out. Well worth the cost just for the peace of mind that this was about as good as we could do on short notice.

I'll second that! Used PointsPros and Mero starting last Nov '13 when the perfect storm of LH F availability opened up out of Montreal 9 months out and just before United jacked up F award prices.
I'd do it again in a heart beat.

AtlantaAngel Nov 6, 2014 11:57 am

Just saw that Milevalue posted a blog entry today about the trip the recent trip they booked for me (ATL to LAX to PPT to ACK to SYD to LAX to ATL). Interesting read and shows exactly why I used an award booking service on this case. Also shows how clueless many Delta agents can be.

Journey4Happy Nov 13, 2014 3:01 pm

UPDATE WIKI: MileValue Fee

UPDATE WIKI: I just did a MileValue booking & was charged $175/person for a "more complicated itinerary".

AtlantaAngel Nov 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Journey4Happy (Post 23838015)
UPDATE WIKI: I just did a MileValue booking & was charged $175/person for a "more complicated itinerary".

What "complicated" itinerary did you book?

jwelam Nov 19, 2014 5:12 am

JuicyMiles worked well for me

At the risk of being dismissed as a first time poster, and therefore without credibility, let me say that I am a long time reader and make use of this board to do my own due diligence on a variety of subjects. Having no particular expertise of my own, nor the desire or time to become a subject area expert, I have visited to benefit from the expertise of others who dwell here.

With that context, you will understand that I came looking one day for help in identifying resources for using miles on a complicated trip. I worked on my own for quite some time, trying to make my miles fit my intended trip. I came up empty, and frustrated. So I investigated various options mentioned here and chose to use JuicyMiles and Christopher for this exercise.

No one asked me to post a review here, and I only do so to help other lost souls, like me, who simply want to know if various providers are trustworthy, honest, resourceful and a good value. On all these points, I can say from my experience that my money was well spent in using Juicy Miles to help me. I now have the trip I wanted, using the fewest possible miles (many fewer than even my least ambitious itinerary that I tried on my own), and did not have to spend many more hours circling the drain. Would I use this group again? Yes. Would I use Christopher again? Absolutely. Are they the best? I have no idea -- I just know that I got what I bargained for and am happy with the process and outcome.

I am glad I was able to find this resource and appreciate the time and energy the members of FT have put into this and other topics, to the benefit of the broader community.

ALadyNCal Nov 20, 2014 8:52 am

Excellent first post ^ Having joined in 2009, you're not the typical newbie to post :p Can you tell us a little about the itinerary you booked?

jwelam Nov 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Route

XXX-LAX-BNE-AKL-ZQN-BNE-DPS-MNL-SYD-LAX-XXX

I tried combinations myself for many, many hours before I looked for help. I wanted to stay in the Southern Hemisphere, and did not want to do a lot of north/south hours to hit the Skyteam hubs, and was running into limited seats due to some Asian holidays and events. I found many reasons why I could not accomplish this on my own, with the miles I had to spend, in the class I wanted, with acceptable partners to the places in which I had an interest.

Journey4Happy Nov 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Update Wiki Again!: MileValue Fee

Originally Posted by Journey4Happy (Post 23838015)

Originally Posted by AtlantaAngel (Post 23838220)
What "complicated" itinerary did you book?

First, let me clear up. I was quoted $175 for a "complicated" itinerary. And $125 for a simple one. So the fee "depends". I can't remember how he differentiated, perhaps for stopovers, one-ways, or not-so-legal routings.

Here was my trip - which was TOTALLY worth the $350 for 2 people (I'm a sucker for this stuff, I even gave the guy a $50 tip).

XXX-LGA/JFK-VCP (stopover) GRU-LIM-CUZ (destination) CUZ-LIM-DFW-XXX

Apparently the agent kept saying that VCP and GRU was an open-jaw, but he got through that.

There WERE a lot of communication problems at first, and I thought I would be greatly disappointed, but he pulled through at the end. I will explain all in another post.

PS. It wasn't Scott Grimmer himself who took care of me.