Search

MileageBrain beta 3

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2011, 1:03 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by itsme
Tried looking for *A MRs out of IAD and lowest cpm choice was IAD-LAS on UA. Thought to see what the lowest cpm choice was ex-LAS and it was LAS-IAD, but at a lower cpm that the one IAD-LAS. How does a discrepancy like that come about? Aren't domestic fares generally symmetric, that is A-B-A the same price as B-A-B?
Fares - yes; Availability - no.
Old May 1, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by KVS
Fares - yes; Availability - no.
Sorry, don't understand your response. Shouldn't one expect to be able to fly A-B-A at the same price as B-A-B, subject to availability of course. And MileageBrain, like Farecompare, is just saying that the airline has published a given fare, not that it can be booked, right?
Old May 1, 2011, 6:29 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by itsme
Sorry, don't understand your response. Shouldn't one expect to be able to fly A-B-A at the same price as B-A-B, subject to availability of course. And MileageBrain, like Farecompare, is just saying that the airline has published a given fare, not that it can be booked, right?
No, unlike FC, MB actually shows fully-priced trips.
Old May 1, 2011, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, VX Elevate, Starwood
Originally Posted by KVS
No, unlike FC, MB actually shows fully-priced trips.
Interesting. As a mileage runner, what would be the utility of knowing fares without knowing availability?
Old May 3, 2011, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Quick update - If you find a great mileage run somewhere else and it doesn't appear in MileageBrain's results, it may be that we don't know to check that route for MRs! You'll now see the option to "suggest a route" at the top of your search results. These suggestions will be automatically incorporated by the algorithm within 24 hours.

Please use it to help improve the search results for yourself and everyone else!
Old May 10, 2011, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I love the concept, bengl3rt! I was just doing some dummy searches, and found one thing that could make it better: since I have status on AA, I earn minimum mileage on flights under 500 miles in length. I found one "MR" (I put it in quotes because this time of year there really aren't any good MRs) that would actually have come in about 3 cents per mile cheaper when the 500 mile minimum is calculated in, since it had a bunch of short flights glued together (something like SEA-PDX-LAS-LAX-SFO-PDX-SEA). I would suggest adding a tick box for 500-mile minimum. Ideally one could select his or her airline and status and the tool would know what that person could expect for minimums and EQM earn rate, but just having a "500 mile minimum" tick box would help for now!
Old May 16, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Nice program but here is my question. I search, find an itinerary, click details, then finally click "book this itinerary." Problem is that the itinerary listed doesn't price out the same (and if I read above correctly, your software actually shows available flights and not just fares - right?)

Details

Airline
United Airlines

Total Mileage

Price
$399.8

Routing
05/28/11: IAD - MCO - ORD - LAX
05/29/11: LAX - IAD
Book this itinerary
but clicking through gets me a cheapest fare of $515 a.i and for the route specified, $563 a.i

Am I doing something wrong or am I not understanding what MB can do?

Thanks for the efforts

Cheers
Old May 25, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by bengl3rt
Quick update - If you find a great mileage run somewhere else and it doesn't appear in MileageBrain's results, it may be that we don't know to check that route for MRs! You'll now see the option to "suggest a route" at the top of your search results. These suggestions will be automatically incorporated by the algorithm within 24 hours.

Please use it to help improve the search results for yourself and everyone else!
bengl3rt, is there any update on when Mileagebrain will be back up?

It seems to have been down for the past few days (we have a thread over at MP discussing it http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...working.11274/).
Old May 30, 2011, 7:10 am

Still down? Any news on when it will return?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Anybody hear anything? Did the site get abandoned?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
I dunno. Doesn't come back with anything from any airport on any airline....

Was really looking forward to using this in Q4.....
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Gold
Someone might have gotten wise to their screen scraping and blocked them as it seems that everything works but the data.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Dead

Yes, looks like its still dead.

The blog hasnt been updated in MONTHS !
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

It needed to be totally rewritten - details on the blog, but the site is back now.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:12 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Awesome! Where are you sourcing your data?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.