Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Flightsfrom.com - Which Airlines Fly to Which Destinations

Flightsfrom.com - Which Airlines Fly to Which Destinations

Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb Flightsfrom.com - Which Airlines Fly to Which Destinations

We (at our company CTI) realised how time consuming it is to figure out what airlines flies to what destinations and when from a certain airport so we made a website to make it simpler.

Please take a look at our first version at www.flightsfrom.com

You'll find:
- All routes from a single airport on a clickable map (example: flightsform.com/FRA)
- Schedules departures between two airports up to 9 months ahead (example: flightsform.com/FRA-HKG

And where do we get feedback if not Flyertalk.com? This first thing that would be interesting is whether the 8 airports listed on the home page is relevant for you? Those under "Airport close to you".

Ofcourse we appriciate all kinds of feedback. And hope you enjoy it!

// Jens and the team

I hope this is the right board for this post - if not I apologise and an admin should delete it.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 15, 2018 at 12:32 pm Reason: Correct URL @ OP's request
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Nice website!

Just wondering whether it would make sense to all add a table listing the destinations in addition to the map?

Also, when clicking on a route, maybe the airline could be displayed?

FWIW, I usually use Wikipedia for re-searching all routes from a given airport, so it would probably help if your website offered at least as much information.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I see green, blue and red markers for destination cities, but I can't find the map key anywhere? What do the different colors mean?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
I see green, blue and red markers for destination cities, but I can't find the map key anywhere? What do the different colors mean?
Each marker represents an airport. And the size and color is to illustrate the number of routes from that airport.

Red marker = 1-19 routes
Blue marker = 20-99 routes
Green marker = 100 or more routes

Last edited by jensju; Jan 16, 2018 at 12:18 am
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Nice website!

Just wondering whether it would make sense to all add a table listing the destinations in addition to the map?

Also, when clicking on a route, maybe the airline could be displayed?

FWIW, I usually use Wikipedia for re-searching all routes from a given airport, so it would probably help if your website offered at least as much information.
Yeah a table listing has been discussed as well.

When you click on a route an icon for that airline(s) are to be displayed. We are still adding icons.

What routes are you missing from Wikipedia? I should point out that we do not show chartered flights(or cargo). Only non chartered passenger flights.

Thanks for your comments!

Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
On my homepage it showed my closest airport; PDX. After that though, it showed ATL, ORD, DFW, LAX, and JFK before showing my next actual closest major airport; SEA. Additionally the title of that feature reads "Airport close to you" but then lists 8 airports. It doesn't seem like the title should be singular.

On the map page, I would find it valuable to have the state outlines so I could quickly identify specific airports. That wasn't showing at first glance in my iPad.

Very cool site!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
On my homepage it showed my closest airport; PDX. After that though, it showed ATL, ORD, DFW, LAX, and JFK before showing my next actual closest major airport; SEA. Additionally the title of that feature reads "Airport close to you" but then lists 8 airports. It doesn't seem like the title should be singular.

On the map page, I would find it valuable to have the state outlines so I could quickly identify specific airports. That wasn't showing at first glance in my iPad.

Very cool site!
You are correct. The title was misleading all together since it was not always the closest airports but a selected number of airports we've tried to make relevant(where distance is one of the keys ofcourse). Now it's chagned.

I'll see if we can add the state outlines.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:29 am

Was very excited when I first came across https://openflights.org/ a couple of years ago, which promised the exact same thing. Turns out it was missing a bunch of routes and was thus useless to me (as the reason I would use such a tool is to find the routes I don't already know exist )

So here's hoping you website will be more useful. Will def try it out soon!

Of the airports relevant to me only one is correct - the city I am currently located. All the others appear to be random as I have no relation to either of them.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Nice site!

My 8 airports start with the 2 closest 2 me, ORD and MDW, but MKE is nowhere to be found. Not sure what your other keys are, but distance should be number 1.

Also, found an error. Was playing on the map and selected ORD-UVF (St. Lucia), then selected "Schedules and More Details"

The next screen came up fine (cute animation of the plane flying the route..), but when I selected "Reverse Route" it throws an error screen.

Captured error data attached.

I tried the reverse route on a could other random routes and it worked fine.

Last edited by mmayer; Jan 16, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpia
So here's hoping you website will be more useful. Will def try it out soon!
Our dataset is updated continuously so hopefully you'll find it useful! The coverage should be close to 100% with some exceptions from airlines in third world countries and low cost carriers.

Originally Posted by mmayer
Nice site!

My 8 airports start with the 2 closest 2 me, ORD and MDW, but MKE is nowhere to be found. Not sure what your other keys are, but distance should be number 1.

Also, found an error. Was playing on the map and selected ORD-UVF (St. Lucia), then selected "Schedules and More Details"

The next screen came up fine (cute animation of the plane flying the route..), but when I selected "Reverse Route" it throws an error screen.
Thanks for the input!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:20 am

The overlay doesn't work. When choosing GJT I cannot see Denver, because it is covered by the description of Grand Junction. But if I "x" out Grand Junction then I no longer have any routes at all.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:21 am

Also, where do you grab your information from? For example, for ROR, there is listed MFM. That is true as there are charter flights, which don't always run, but in general it isn't useful to list charter flights as most of us cannot book those.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Congrats on your launch. Nice site!

Immediate observations (in no particular order):
1a) Aviation geek: Such a cool way to see how connected the world has become. So many long, thin routes thanks to "new aircraft" like the 777 / 787 / A350 (and redeployment of 757 / A321)
1b) Aviation geek: As you capture historical information, will be cool to see how these travel patterns evolve.
2) Business travel: Very cool visualization of all nonstops between 2 city pairs in a given week. I will share this with my admin so she can book optimal flight times for my business trips. I can see more 2 one-ways in my future! To make this even more powerful, would be great if you could add "sort by time" in addition to group by airline.
3) Personal travel: Interesting to see the average flight distances. Never really thought that the flying time between JFK-AUA and JFK-AUS are essentially the same!
4) Would be nice to add a calendar icon so you can go directly to the week you want (rather than having to page over a bunch of times)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
This looks interesting, I will look forward to playing with the map.

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
The overlay doesn't work. When choosing GJT I cannot see Denver, because it is covered by the description of Grand Junction. But if I "x" out Grand Junction then I no longer have any routes at all.
You might need to zoom in / zoom out if the title is in the way.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Also, where do you grab your information from? For example, for ROR, there is listed MFM. That is true as there are charter flights, which don't always run, but in general it isn't useful to list charter flights as most of us cannot book those.
We have actively chosen only to show schedules passenger flights and not charter flights. The ROR-MFM is not published as a charter flight however I can't see to find anywhere to book it.

Originally Posted by billygoat27
Congrats on your launch. Nice site!

Immediate observations (in no particular order):
1a) Aviation geek: Such a cool way to see how connected the world has become. So many long, thin routes thanks to "new aircraft" like the 777 / 787 / A350 (and redeployment of 757 / A321)
1b) Aviation geek: As you capture historical information, will be cool to see how these travel patterns evolve.
2) Business travel: Very cool visualization of all nonstops between 2 city pairs in a given week. I will share this with my admin so she can book optimal flight times for my business trips. I can see more 2 one-ways in my future! To make this even more powerful, would be great if you could add "sort by time" in addition to group by airline.
3) Personal travel: Interesting to see the average flight distances. Never really thought that the flying time between JFK-AUA and JFK-AUS are essentially the same!
4) Would be nice to add a calendar icon so you can go directly to the week you want (rather than having to page over a bunch of times)
Thank you.

2) & 4) Those would be nice features. There is a lot of paging right now I agree.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 17, 2018 at 9:18 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.