Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:42 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Have now spent most of the weekend playing around with this most intriguing tool and must congratulate ckpeter on a terrific contribution to the award searching arena. :-:

I am a very satisfied user of KVS but really appreciate how ANX removes the tedium of doing multiple single-day, single-source searches. So instead of sitting for hours one can enter multiple searches and let it get on with it. ^ (I'm amazed at how accurate the time estimate is most of the time and really love the progress indicators - it's always reassuring to know the system hasn't frozen in mid search.)

Thanks, ckpeter!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:00 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Are you aware that ANA only supports maximum of 1 connection? Since the only 1-stop itinerary between BOS and SCL is BOS-YYZ-SCL, ANA is only able to show that; all the other 2+ stops options that CO shows are not available on ANA because of this restriction (you can find them if you do segment-by-segment on ANA).

BOS-YYZ-SCL is served wholly and purely by AC. It is possible that AC does have expanded availability for its own members.

Please do send me the screenshot (or just the links would work). Also, have you already ticketed your award, and if so, when? (If you did, that would take 3 C seats out). I will take a look.
Yep, I knew that ANA is limited in terms of finding 2+stop flights. I guess the point that I was trying to get across was that AC were showing 3 seats in C on the YYZ leg. I went to the ANA website to cross check and there were only 2 seats on the YYZ-SCL leg.
I did not ticket as I was only searching. I have sent you a PM with a link to my search - was unable to insert a screenshot.

I have tried again to recreate this and no longer can get seats on AC, so maybe it was a glitch that they have fixed.

However it still seems as if CO availability > ANA.
My ANX search for Jan 16 IAD-EZE, gives 3xC seats using CO but ANA has only 2
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nyc6035
... to have common flights across platforms listed once with perhaps a grid and check marks for which tools showed the flight.
Your are foretelling one of the things I would like to implement, which is award availability differentials. However, that is low on the list now, given a host of other things I need to work on first.

Also, as someone earlier posted the limit to search two seats is a bit unfortunate (for me)....but I certainly respect the your software; your server, your rules logic.
Thanks for taking the time to make suggestion. Please accept an upgrade in membership from me. You should now be able to access the elite version of the search engine that allows you to search up to 4 seats at a time.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soy
However it still seems as if CO availability > ANA.
My ANX search for Jan 16 IAD-EZE, gives 3xC seats using CO but ANA has only 2
I tried doing a search, but all 3xC seats options available on CO require double connection, which ANA does not support (only 1-stop supported).

Also interesting to note that for IAD-EZE 1-stop, ANA defaults to search only for one route of IAD-GRU-EZE. No other airports, even IAH-EZE, are considered.

Update: I also look at the PM you sent me for IAD-SCL, but in that case, some of the 1-stop are using CM (Copa Airlines), which from my research seems not to be in Star Alliance, and will thus explain why ANA does not see them.

Summary: In case this gets confusing (it was to me), my current assessment of this is that this is a routing limitation, not visibility limitation. In other words, the same inventory should be available in ANA as in AC or CO, but you just need to do the right search (with the right connection airport) to pull them up from ANA. Contrast this with visibility limitation, where no amount of tweaks will show you the availability.

(except Copa Air/CM, which is not in Star Alliance and thus naturally not visible to ANA)

Last edited by ckpeter; Aug 9, 2010 at 12:21 pm
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:49 am

Direct Flights Option

Including a direct flight option at the first screen would be helpful.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsforfree
Including a direct flight option at the first screen would be helpful.
Do you mean having the option to search on the search form?

It will be semantically awkward, since not all airlines support specifying connection preference when you search. However, you can easily filter connecting flights by using the result filter on the calendar page.

If you mean something else, please do clarify.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:04 am

Do you mean having the option to search on the search form?

It will be semantically awkward, since not all airlines support specifying connection preference when you search. However, you can easily filter connecting flights by using the result filter on the calendar page.

If you mean something else, please do clarify.
That's exactly what I meant.

No worries on my side though, it's not a deal breaker at all.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
ckpeter, this is a fantastic tool! I'm currently spec'ing out an award itinerary in January, and this is infinitely easier than searching day by day on the ANA site. Great job!

The one thing that I noticed was that in trying to build an around the world itinerary, ANA does not allow this to be booked online, so it returns an error on the last segment. Since we're not using your tool to book, perhaps there's a way to allow RTW itineraries to be searched for without hitting the ANA limitation? This is, of course, minor, but it would make looking for relatively simple RTW trips with a single search rather than multiple.

Thanks!
B
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_b
... perhaps there's a way to allow RTW itineraries to be searched for without hitting the ANA limitation?
Welcome!

ANX searches each segment as an one-way separately, so you should not have any problem with ANA's multi-segment limitation.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:04 pm

Welcome!

ANX searches each segment as an one-way separately, so you should not have any problem with ANA's multi-segment limitation.
Thanks!

And, of course, I can't seem to duplicate what I had done before to recreate the error message, but it does seem to be in my saved search if you'd like to take a look. I'll PM you the link.

Thanks again,
B
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_b
And, of course, I can't seem to duplicate what I had done before to recreate the error message, but it does seem to be in my saved search if you'd like to take a look. I'll PM you the link.
Thanks for the followup. I didn't realized you were actually referring to an error while using ANX.

I took a look. I think the problem is that you specified NYC in your search. ANA does not seem to support city code. Try entering JFK or EWR instead.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
email alerts

I have an idea for a new feature: email alerts

How about being able to ask ANX to send me an email when an award on alliance X in class Y on date (range) Z becomes available? Would be nice to be able to restrict things like direct flights only, carrier, etc. ANX is getting that information from the searches of its users.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:16 am

Thanks for the followup. I didn't realized you were actually referring to an error while using ANX.

I took a look. I think the problem is that you specified NYC in your search. ANA does not seem to support city code. Try entering JFK or EWR instead.
Aha! Ok, that seemed to be it. User error on my part - no surprises there!

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I saw another unexpected result today. Searching for YYZ-MUC availability on two specific days using NH/CO/AC and +1 day. For day 1, I get results for MUC-YYZ, but for day 2, I get results for YYZ-MUC.

Actually, the problem seems to lie with the AC engine. The results in the wrong direction are showing up through AC, whereas the results in the right direction are showing up through NH and CO.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by L4ibsch
I have an idea for a new feature: email alerts

How about being able to ask ANX to send me an email when an award on alliance X in class Y on date (range) Z becomes available? Would be nice to be able to restrict things like direct flights only, carrier, etc. ANX is getting that information from the searches of its users.
That's a pretty good idea. May be even a little toolbar too.

Last edited by levanta; Aug 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.