Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LamboRich
Could the view at least only default to active searches ?
So old ones can be displayed but with the click of a button rather than displaying everything (New and old ).
I understand that it could be annoying to see the list of canceled alerts at the bottom. I myself have only 2 active alerts now, and the rest are 40 canceled alerts. It can be annoying.

It's tricky to have separate sections, because the listing mechanism doesn't currently support it, so changing it requires changing some deeper part of the system. However, it is something that will be resolved at some point. When that does, many listings on the site (beyond the alerts) will have sectionalized views.

I appreciate your patience on this.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA LTP 3.3 MM, VS G, BA, Hyatt D, Hilton D
New Active automated searches - I love it :)

New Active automated searches - I love it
thanks for resolving this one
its so much better
great job
Rich

Originally Posted by ckpeter
I understand that it could be annoying to see the list of canceled alerts at the bottom. I myself have only 2 active alerts now, and the rest are 40 canceled alerts. It can be annoying.

It's tricky to have separate sections, because the listing mechanism doesn't currently support it, so changing it requires changing some deeper part of the system. However, it is something that will be resolved at some point. When that does, many listings on the site (beyond the alerts) will have sectionalized views.

I appreciate your patience on this.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
its so much better
great job
Rich
Thanks for the update.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

its so much better
great job
Rich
Of course! It took a good part of the day to make the change and I am glad that you like the new layout.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
I'm not sure if this is still the right forum to post questions on Award Nexus, but I've purchased the "Premium Advanced" membership service and used it for many trips, very happy with the search engine.

However, lately I've been having issues with CX availability and potentially burning up alot of credits not knowing what options to choose for best results. For example, CX/BA recently manipulated the search results to block out availability for BA to book certain routes close in, including TPE-HKG, HKG-PVG, and other short hops, but its still bookable with other programs.

Any suggestions of what the best "option" to searching long haul such as HKG-YVR, HKG-SFO? Before I would use Oneworld (BA) exclusively, now I find myself clicking 2,3 and sometimes 4 to do one segment

Oneworld (BA)
Oneworld (QF)
JL
CX (JL)

Ideas greatly appreciated
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
I'm not sure if this is still the right forum to post questions on Award Nexus, but I've purchased the "Premium Advanced" membership service and used it for many trips, very happy with the search engine.

However, lately I've been having issues with CX availability and potentially burning up alot of credits not knowing what options to choose for best results. For example, CX/BA recently manipulated the search results to block out availability for BA to book certain routes close in, including TPE-HKG, HKG-PVG, and other short hops, but its still bookable with other programs.

Any suggestions of what the best "option" to searching long haul such as HKG-YVR, HKG-SFO? Before I would use Oneworld (BA) exclusively, now I find myself clicking 2,3 and sometimes 4 to do one segment

Oneworld (BA)
Oneworld (QF)
JL
CX (JL)

Ideas greatly appreciated
Thanks for being a member!

Yes, unfortunate the BA site has become less usable for CX availability searches lately. CX availability is tricky in that each data source is slightly different, but here is what I suggest:

- If you searching for specific long-haul segment, use CX (JL). It is the most accurate for partner availability.

- If you want CX flight with other connecting Oneworld partners (such as HKG-LAX-SFO with LAX-SFO on AA), use QF. There are some accuracy issues with CX with QF, but you can always double check with the CX (JL) to be sure.

- Of course, Oneworld (BA) remains a usable site. You just have to take care not to use it for searches within a week of the CX departure. But then again, this may be a temporary restriction that could go away in a few months.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
So is Oneworld(QF) the best way to search simultaneously for AA and AS saver awards ?

The Alaska search method shows both saver and no-saver awards, and I'm only interested in saver awards

Last edited by MasterGeek; Mar 28, 2017 at 11:12 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
So is Oneworld(QF) the best way to search simultaneously for AA and AS saver awards ?

The Alaska search method shows both saver and no-saver awards, and I'm only interested in saver awards
Yes. I believe that would be your best choice. If you use Oneworld (QF) you would be able to focus on only saver awards for AA and AS.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: JGC premier
Apology if this issue has been raised elsewhere but when I searched for some QR award seat via BA, Awardnexus doesn't seem to show availbility for some dates even though BA website does show availability when I manually check some of those dates.. any reason for the discrepancy?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Apology if this issue has been raised elsewhere but when I searched for some QR award seat via BA, Awardnexus doesn't seem to show availbility for some dates even though BA website does show availability when I manually check some of those dates.. any reason for the discrepancy?
Hi bakaneko85, thanks for your question.

This should not normally happen. It would be really helpful if you can give me one or few flight number examples of where you are seeing that. Also, I am wondering if this may be a country issue. What country is your BA account based in?

Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:47 am

This should not normally happen. It would be really helpful if you can give me one or few flight number examples of where you are seeing that. Also, I am wondering if this may be a country issue. What country is your BA account based in?

Thanks.
Hi ckpeter, this happened with qr813 and qr151 on april 28th yesterday.. was showing 6 J availabilities but none in awardnexus. but anyway when i checked again today, now there's absolutely no availability sucks.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:48 am

Thanks.
Hi ckpeter, this happened with qr813 and qr151 on april 28th yesterday.. was showing 6 J availabilities but none in awardnexus. but anyway when i checked again today, now there's absolutely no availability on BA site too sucks.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi ckpeter, this happened with qr813 and qr151 on april 28th yesterday.. was showing 6 J availabilities but none in awardnexus. but anyway when i checked again today, now there's absolutely no availability on BA site too sucks.
Yeah. Sorry to hear that. Sometimes airline site inventories don't line up properly, which may explain the discrepancy. It may also be that the availability went away during the gap between the first and second searches.

Hopefully something opens up for you soon.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Hi ckpeter,

I started using your tool for some research after a long time of inactivity as an elite member. Seriously considering a premium membership. I have done some searches on this thread for the details of what the differences are between the levels and didn't find it. Apologies if I missed it.

I am really looking to see what level I should buy.

I typically book a major award once every couple of years. Usually an "epic" trip, travelling very long distances (> 8000 nm), over a long time (2 -3 weeks) and try to maximize stopovers, open jaws, etc to get maximum return on my miles investment. Typical cost for a trip at/over 500K miles for 2 people. I am usually looking just for my wife and myself. You can look at my recent activity and get a feel for how much I use points. This would be a base level while I am searching. I have not started using your route based search and currently do it segment by segment and print out the results do do my trip planning.

BTW, I was one of your very first tester/elite members and I am impressed with the growth of this tool.

And to jump in on the following question ...

IMO, QF is just a better source for looking up QR awards. I have had issues with BA showing phantom availability.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Hi ckpeter,

I started using your tool for some research after a long time of inactivity as an elite member. Seriously considering a premium membership. I have done some searches on this thread for the details of what the differences are between the levels and didn't find it. Apologies if I missed it.

I am really looking to see what level I should buy.

I typically book a major award once every couple of years. Usually an "epic" trip, travelling very long distances (> 8000 nm), over a long time (2 -3 weeks) and try to maximize stopovers, open jaws, etc to get maximum return on my miles investment. Typical cost for a trip at/over 500K miles for 2 people. I am usually looking just for my wife and myself. You can look at my recent activity and get a feel for how much I use points. This would be a base level while I am searching. I have not started using your route based search and currently do it segment by segment and print out the results do do my trip planning.

BTW, I was one of your very first tester/elite members and I am impressed with the growth of this tool.

And to jump in on the following question ...

IMO, QF is just a better source for looking up QR awards. I have had issues with BA showing phantom availability.
Hi cheltzel, good to have you back!

Normally, for one trip, I recommend a Premium Basic membership or a trip pass. However, in your case, because you are doing a mega trip that is essentially 3-4 trips combined into one, I think you may need to aim for a higher membership level, especially since you seem to like and do quite a few of the power searches.

A Power Pass could be an option, but even that is designed for medium-level searches, which I think you may find limiting.

A better option would be to go for the Premium Advanced membership. It is designed for 4-6 normal trips, but would work well for your single mega trip with intense searching. Unlike a trip pass, you'll have full flexibility to search all cities and stopover points. It is possible that, given that your trip is almost a year away, if you use the email alert feature, that may take you above one Premium Advanced purchase, but my suggestion is that you start with the Advanced level first.

A trip pass or power pass may be useful, as you start to solidify your trip. They are fixed in price and functionality, but you may find those more cost effective for running long-term automated email search. Something to consider later in your planning process, as supplement to your Premium Advanced membership.

https://awardnexus.com/page/premium

Take a look and let me know if you have more question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.