Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I can't even see the site, and the reason is simple: it already has tracking tools installed which are mandatory to access or you don't get to the site. I have blocked google-analytics on my system so the site spins forever waiting for it. Very few sites do this, but this one does.

Websites, including experimental ones, which unconditionally require us to provide data to those who would spy on us online, are a bad thing IMO.
I use Google Analytics to learn about my users, such as what countries they are from, their screen sizes, how often certain pages are used, etc. It is invaluable for me to understand how people use ANX and make improvements based on that.

This is a common practice on the web - I am not aware of any large interactive site that choose to blindly interacts with their visitors.

Due to the lack of details, I am unable to meaningfully address the rest of your post. If you can provide specifics on what "spy" data you are referring to, I can clarify further.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA, LH
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Hmm...very interesting. Thanks for the report. Can you tell me what version of IE you are using? I am using IE 8 and the date auto-fill and calendar popup seems to work fine.
My PC actually has IE 8 too.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Google Analytics to learn about my users, such as what countries they are from, their screen sizes, how often certain pages are used, etc. It is invaluable for me to understand how people use ANX and make improvements based on that.

This is a common practice on the web - I am not aware of any large interactive site that choose to blindly interacts with their visitors.

Due to the lack of details, I am unable to meaningfully address the rest of your post. If you can provide specifics on what "spy" data you are referring to, I can clarify further.
Google Analytics is spy software. Why do you think Google provides it to you for free? Do you honestly think they throw away the information they gather after you use it?

Very many sites do nonetheless have Google Analytics on them. But very, very few -- yours is only the second I have encountered in over a year since I diverted Google Analytic requests to the trash heap -- insist on the request being successful before allowing you to reach the main site.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: LH M&M SEN, bmi DC Gold, CO Gold Elite, bahn.comfort nothing
Just discovered your thread over here, i really like your site. Keep up the good work on it!!!

Just did a test search, found good availabilty, but did not find different routing options, only the only offered by ANA (i only checked ANA), will go and look what it says by querying all of them.

Maybe i just didnt see that, but is the only display option available that of calendar thing? I actually like the table view that ANA offers.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cammyloon
My PC actually has IE 8 too.
I figured it out. This was rather subtle. It seems that auto fill worked in IE 8, but the calendar pops up before it is auto-filled, so it defaulted to today's date.

Thanks for report. It has been fixed and the calendar now defaults to the appropriate month in IE 8.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by piiit
Just discovered your thread over here, i really like your site. Keep up the good work on it!!!

Just did a test search, found good availabilty, but did not find different routing options, only the only offered by ANA (i only checked ANA), will go and look what it says by querying all of them.

Maybe i just didnt see that, but is the only display option available that of calendar thing? I actually like the table view that ANA offers.
Glad to hear that you like it.

Try out the Route Builder. It helps you build manual routes quickly.

Right now, calendar is the only view. I am working on some major enhancements on view options though.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I did a search on your CC posts and I don't see any give outs there. However, I do appreciate your contributions from some of the posts that I have read. Please accept the elite membership as my compliment.
IIRC I had posted for trade, but when someone wrote that they were going to Haiti for earthquake relief, I gave the evips away. In any event, thank you for complementing the membership.

There are plenty of great resources available that help with planning MR, from KVS, EF, Farecompare, to the FT MR forum, so I have no specific plans to support MR at the moment.
I understand and my suggestion was in jest. I wouldn't want you to be distracted from your present focus.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aktchi
I understand and my suggestion was in jest. I wouldn't want you to be distracted from your present focus.
I thought so. There are some really cool things in the lab right now, if only I could muster the focus to finish some of them...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
Just to follow up on your issue. The bug that abruptly stops the search on ANA, upon encountering a no-service day, has been fixed.
Thank you very much for your work. ^^^ I can basically confirm your findings.

NOU is an interesting case, though. The flights leave at 08:00 in the morning, but ANA will not consider overnight layovers as are necessary in this case. Therefore, SYD-NOU still gives 0 hits because the latest flight into AKL arrives at 23:35 the day prior to the AKL-NOU flight. I'm not sure this is anything that Award Nexus can or should attempt to fix, but it's a good reminder to break down itineraries and not to blindly trust negative results.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Google Analytics is spy software. Why do you think Google provides it to you for free? Do you honestly think they throw away the information they gather after you use it?

Very many sites do nonetheless have Google Analytics on them. But very, very few -- yours is only the second I have encountered in over a year since I diverted Google Analytic requests to the trash heap -- insist on the request being successful before allowing you to reach the main site.
They obviouisly double spy on you too. There are other independent software providers like tracking202 that willl probably provide similar resutls with less work for google.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
CKPeter

I have been using this tool off and on since you first posted it and it seems like this will be super handy once I decide where I want to go ... Great job on the tool so far ... and thanks for sharing with us

I did think of one possible suggestion today though ... I was trying to plan a trip next march to go to bangkok ... since i'm pretty flexible I tried putting in a lot of different midpoints and search for a long period over the month (14 days). This blew past my allocated point system, which i'm guessing is in place to control server load ... This makes sense ...

So my idea that I came up with is it would be cool if there was some way to queue up requests ... I could submit a request for a larger job ... and the system could run it on the backend when there isn't alot of other things going on and just email me a link to the results when they are ready.

Drek
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One more comment/suggestion:

It would be nice to be able to search for nonstop flights only.

Take PDX-MNL on *A, for example. The only legal way to get down there (that doesn't involve flying to SIN or BKK) is via ICN.

This means that the most logical way for me to approach it is to:
1) look at SFO/SEA/YVR/LAX-ICN in isolation
2) query ICN-MNL
3) tack on a segment between PDX and SFO/SEA/YVR/LAX

For #1 in particular, but also for 2 and 3, I'm only interested in nonstop flights. If there is a way to limit searches in this manner, I'm not aware of it.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Drek82
CKPeter

I have been using this tool off and on since you first posted it and it seems like this will be super handy once I decide where I want to go ... Great job on the tool so far ... and thanks for sharing with us

I did think of one possible suggestion today though ... I was trying to plan a trip next march to go to bangkok ... since i'm pretty flexible I tried putting in a lot of different midpoints and search for a long period over the month (14 days). This blew past my allocated point system, which i'm guessing is in place to control server load ... This makes sense ...

So my idea that I came up with is it would be cool if there was some way to queue up requests ... I could submit a request for a larger job ... and the system could run it on the backend when there isn't alot of other things going on and just email me a link to the results when they are ready.

Drek
Good to know that you like it, Drek.

The issue of points and usage turns out to be quite complicated. Procedures that would work with a dozen users, would not work when the user base goes beyond a few dozens, for both technical and non-technical reasons.

In the coming months, there will be some changes to the point system, but I am still working out the details.

Regardless, I will make sure that your trip to Bangkok is taken care of.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
One more comment/suggestion:

It would be nice to be able to search for nonstop flights only.

Take PDX-MNL on *A, for example. The only legal way to get down there (that doesn't involve flying to SIN or BKK) is via ICN.

This means that the most logical way for me to approach it is to:
1) look at SFO/SEA/YVR/LAX-ICN in isolation
2) query ICN-MNL
3) tack on a segment between PDX and SFO/SEA/YVR/LAX

For #1 in particular, but also for 2 and 3, I'm only interested in nonstop flights. If there is a way to limit searches in this manner, I'm not aware of it.
I see why you may need that.

I added a connection filter that allows you to show direct flights only or to limit the number of connections shown. Give it a try.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:47 am

Thank you ckpeter ^ This tool is excellent and I found some great availability on *A that would have taken me hours to find on ANA. This is an excellent tool!

Just need to work out where I actually want to go next

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.