Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Need FT community help to review AutoSlash.com

Need FT community help to review AutoSlash.com

Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aviator8
Just an update. I don't have AAA membership so that discount doesn't work for me if they would ask to see my membership. I found that pretty much everyone charges about $10-13 per day per carseat. Ridiculous! I have 2 kids. Avis had the best rates for me. I was able to use my USAA discount to get a full size and apply a coupon to get a upgrade $150 for 5 days. So it would cost me 150 to rent a 20-30K car for 5 days, and 125 to rent two 100 dollar cars seats for 5 days. They really try to hose you with add ons. I refuse to pay rates like that so I have decide that we will be bringing our own carseats. Southwest allows us to check them for free in addition to out normal 2 check bags. A bit of a pain, but I can't bring myself to throw away 125 dollars for crap.
We find that car seat charges are ridiculous as well.. but had to pay the big bucks at YYZ just for 5 day car seat rental because we were returning from Europe and didn't want to lug a child seat around.

I've been trying Auto Slash a number of times. Business can be cruel sometimes. Hope the strategy works as I've had success in year's past with the system. But a great thing for consumers isn't seen as a great thing for rental companies.. and that's just too bad.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Giving this a little bump.

I booked a car through Budget in Managua for $130 for three days. I plugged the details into Autoslash and within a half hour they emailed me back saying they'd gotten me a discount and my rate was now $96. Very happy with the results, I need to use this more often ^
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:09 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I had assumed this service had "died".... it is still going strong?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wharvey
I had assumed this service had "died".... it is still going strong?
It is indeed! This is my second time using it this year and it's been very helpful.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
It is indeed! This is my second time using it this year and it's been very helpful.
Just tried LAX, HNL, OGG and the query came up with one selection for LAX and none for HNL and OGG.

Looks like the big guys have backed out still. Where are you finding your success? The LAX wasn't even near where what I paid with Costco in the high season.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Just tried LAX, HNL, OGG and the query came up with one selection for LAX and none for HNL and OGG.

Looks like the big guys have backed out still. Where are you finding your success? The LAX wasn't even near where what I paid with Costco in the high season.
It's not necessarily what you find with them at first -- the real treasure is them tracking your rental and notifying you when the price goes down

-J.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
It's not necessarily what you find with them at first -- the real treasure is them tracking your rental and notifying you when the price goes down

-J.
I didn't find anything through Autoslash, their search engine does seem a little underwhelming. I'd made a Budget reservation a few weeks ago and that's what I plugged in and it was "slashed" in a half hour or less.

The last time I used the website (back in June) I emailed their customer support who helped me.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:23 pm

I thought this had dies as well. I plugged my last rental into the site 3 months before we left and never got a single email with a better rate.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
I didn't find anything through Autoslash, their search engine does seem a little underwhelming. I'd made a Budget reservation a few weeks ago and that's what I plugged in and it was "slashed" in a half hour or less.

The last time I used the website (back in June) I emailed their customer support who helped me.
Didn't see Budget in the mix. Are they still on?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:12 am

Didn't see Budget in the mix. Are they still on?
I don't think you're understanding me here so I'm going to try it again. Their search function barely works, do not use it. In fact, I emailed them and got this response:

we are getting close to releasing a new version that should fix the problems they've been having once and for all
To maximize your use of this site, remember that the search function is pretty much useless. Don't even bother with it. It seems most of the rental companies have blocked them from showing their rates on their site. But they are able to find rates if you submit a rental for tracking via their site or email them for assistance.

Trust me, when you get an email that says this, it'll be worth it:

Thanks for tracking your upcoming car rental with AutoSlash. We review each reservation daily to see if we can find additional savings for our customers. We found a better rate on your upcoming rental in Managua on 12/26/2013.

You are currently booked at the rate of $130.75 with Budget. AutoSlash is able to offer you a lower rate of $96.25 with Budget for the same vehicle, a savings of $34.50.

If you'd like to take advantage of this lower rate and lock in the savings, just click here to book through AutoSlash. Better act fast though, as rates can change quickly. We'll even check your rate each day, and if we find a price drop, we'll re-book you automatically to lock in the savings!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:15 am

Would autoslash work when i booked through rentalcars with already booked options for additional drivers, gps, CDW and tank of gas? I want to know the price in advance fully.

The initial email quote with only the car was much higher from autoslash than with all included from rentalcars. Like 12 days for premium from autoslash, only car was $550, same car with all the options included was $390 form rentalcars.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:20 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by krankulla
Would autoslash work when i booked through rentalcars with already booked options for additional drivers, gps, CDW and tank of gas? I want to know the price in advance fully.

The initial email quote with only the car was much higher from autoslash than with all included from rentalcars. Like 12 days for premium from autoslash, only car was $550, same car with all the options included was $390 form rentalcars.
Unfortunately we don't do fully inclusive rentals. Our prices are for just the car including mandatory fees and taxes. We don't include gas, insurance, gps, etc. in our pricing. On the other hand we also don't require payment up-front and you can change or cancel at any time without penalty.

Some companies (like rentalcars.com) do offer inclusive rates that require full prepayment at the time of booking. Sometimes these prepaid rates can have cancellation penalties so be sure to read the terms and conditions. In some cases they can can offer better deals since the car rental companies know they have your money and it's a guaranteed reservation so the rental car company is willing to take less money to avoid a possible no-show.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Unfortunately we don't do fully inclusive rentals. Our prices are for just the car including mandatory fees and taxes. We don't include gas, insurance, gps, etc. in our pricing. On the other hand we also don't require payment up-front and you can change or cancel at any time without penalty.

Some companies (like rentalcars.com) do offer inclusive rates that require full prepayment at the time of booking. Sometimes these prepaid rates can have cancellation penalties so be sure to read the terms and conditions. In some cases they can can offer better deals since the car rental companies know they have your money and it's a guaranteed reservation so the rental car company is willing to take less money to avoid a possible no-show.
Thanks for quick reply!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.