Wiki Posts
Search

Clarification re universal adapter for travelers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Clarification re universal adapter for travelers

I've just read the sticky re inflight power. I have an inverter--a bulky thing I bought on Woot. It plugs into the car/airplane power port, and I plug my power brick into that to power my laptop. I'm not sure it works, since I've never had a totally dead battery, so my laptop could have been running on battery, but at least I understand the concept. I found the following item in a travel blog somewhere.

http://tinyurl.com/qgxcp8

For half the price I can buy just the travel inverter half. I also read ScottC's blog entry on the Igo 85 and that's where I learned, I think, that that item subs for the laptop power brick. So if I buy this device, I'm assuming I can leave my power brick at home, that this will power all the devices I have tips for? For example, one light weight Innergie device to charge two (not simultaneously) laptops, my mP3, phone? With out taking their dedicated chargers? And I can use this inflight on AA for laptop power on my upcoming Rio flight, where I hope they have infligt wifi? Amazon has no reviews yet. Any opinion on this, and especially this vs the Igoeverywhere85? I'm pretty sure I want a svelter auto/airplane adapter, but the universal charger aspect sounds really interesting. Sorry if this is painfully clear to most of you, but I can't tell you how often I've had forehead slapping "duh" moments at the most inopportune times when totally clear assumptions have proven mistaken.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Yes, that is how they work, you would add a tip to it (if it does not already have one) to power your laptop and leave the laptop brick at home. There are quite a few out there, some cost way less money. I have a refrubrished Kensington one that was like $19.99 and came with the tips I needed, there are Igo's available on Amazon for $35, etc

When figuring out the cost, make a list of everything you will be powering, and see if it has the necessary tips or not. They can start adding up at $10 or so each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.