Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smartphone with video output

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Question Smartphone with video output

Is there a smartphone with a video output? The idea would be to be able to connect it to a projector or monitor and present a powerpoint.

This would be the real convergence. It should have text editing, PP editing, spreadsheet editing and pdf reading (pdf making would be nice, too). Bluetooth and a foldable keyboard will turn this into the super device. If it's powerful enough I bet people would be willing to pay $1000 for it.

Imagine to be able to do all your usual office stuff from a cell phone anywhere including presentations. Access documents in the cloud. Connect with exchange server. Push email. The full range. Put Apple's remote CD access on there like MBA.

Some venues supply you with laptops and you just put the file on but others don't. I am going to a conference this October where they state explicitly that one must bring one's own computer. PJ is supplied.

For most people that would cut their packed weight by at least 5-6lb. And that's not counting the fact that you could carry a smaller briefcase just for the files. Count another 2lb for the difference between a computer briefcase and a slim portfolio. Some people might even be able to travel without a briefcase. Basically, we are talking about a weight saving of up to 5kg and in many cases going from two bags to one.

The Microsoft Zune HD supposed to debut on 9/15 has HD video out via its cradle. When do you think will something like that be available for smartphones with said editing capacities?

Till
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The HTC Touch Pro and Touch Pro2 have video out, and require a $20 cable to make this happen.

Plus, they both come with a pretty decent version of Powerpoint mobile, both have a keyboard (the one on the Touch Pro2 is amazing). I've been doing presentations with the Touch Pro for several months, and it works perfectly. If you want to go hardcore, you can also get yourself a pocket projector - it will only work in a really dark room, but it does work.

All these Windows Mobile devices can create and edit Word and Excel, but they do not have full Powerpoint editing capability. With third party apps, you can do some basic edits like rearrange slides and merge presentations, but giventhe heavy graphics in most PPT's, a full mobile edit is just too much.

The Touch Pro2 is out on T-Mobile for $350, Sprint for $350 and Verizon for $199.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
2-3 years and the netbook/laptops will be on their way out. Welcome to the super-almighty cell phone that replaces a laptop.

[Mark my words]

HTSC
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
2-3 years and the netbook/laptops will be on their way out. Welcome to the super-almighty cell phone that replaces a laptop.

[Mark my words]

HTSC
Unless they produce a keyboard that I can use at 90+ WPM, or voice recognition technology that disambiguates American English at 99% or better, I sincerely doubt it.

Not to mention the ability to watch pr0n in hi-def . . .
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC

[Mark my words]

HTSC
What the previous poster said - keyboards on smartphones will never be good enough to replace a netbook. What we'll see is netbooks becoming more smartphone-like, with more integrated 3G (or 4G), better processors and all day battery life.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Parts of your request sound like the rumored Apple tablet. Let's talk after 1pm Eastern time.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

ScottC, thank for the tip with the HTC phones. I will definitely look at the Touch Pro. What are your other user impressions of the phone? How's the touchscreen, user interface, web access? I have actually thought about a pocket projector.

As for typing, I think it will be totally ok to have to carry a foldable keyboard. So one can type ahead just like on a real keyboard.

The Iphone does have video out for composite and component even. The cable is $49. BUT there is no native Keynote or PP access. One has to convert stuff to an Iphoto Album and present from there. I also don't know if one can hook up the phone to a projector and then use the Apple Remote to flip through slides. I believe that with the universal dock that should be possible. That's another $50.

Wiredboy, are you saying there is gonna be an announcement today? That would be cool. So the tablet could probably do a lot of these things. But does it act as a phone? Can it connect over the 3g network, too?

I know I could find these things out easily but you seem to be in the know so I just ask.

Till
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Some of the Nokia N-series phones have video output. I think the N95, N96 and N97 all do.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfar
ScottC, thank for the tip with the HTC phones. I will definitely look at the Touch Pro. What are your other user impressions of the phone? How's the touchscreen, user interface, web access? I have actually thought about a pocket projector.

As for typing, I think it will be totally ok to have to carry a foldable keyboard. So one can type ahead just like on a real keyboard.

The Iphone does have video out for composite and component even. The cable is $49. BUT there is no native Keynote or PP access. One has to convert stuff to an Iphoto Album and present from there. I also don't know if one can hook up the phone to a projector and then use the Apple Remote to flip through slides. I believe that with the universal dock that should be possible. That's another $50.

Wiredboy, are you saying there is gonna be an announcement today? That would be cool. So the tablet could probably do a lot of these things. But does it act as a phone? Can it connect over the 3g network, too?

I know I could find these things out easily but you seem to be in the know so I just ask.

Till
No announcement today - a real shame actually...

Instead of a smartphone or Netbook, you could also look into an ultra portable like one of the Viliv machines.

http://www.myviliv.com/eng/product/s5.asp

The Viliv S5 is larger than a Smartphone, but has a full version of Windows.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Built in USB for external keyboard for your 100+WPM. Piece of cake. My idea is that smartphones will be as powerful as current laptop, have integrated keyboard/screen, and the capability of hooking up an external monitor, and USB keyboard+mouse+etc. In effect, a hyper-small netbook. Or a super-souped up smartphone. I stick by what I said: mark my words.

HTSC

Originally Posted by PorkRind
Unless they produce a keyboard that I can use at 90+ WPM, or voice recognition technology that disambiguates American English at 99% or better, I sincerely doubt it.

Not to mention the ability to watch pr0n in hi-def . . .
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by tfar

Till
I have Touch Pro, the hardware is superb, unfortunately it runs Windows Mobile.... ah, er, oh, enough said. A week with Windows Mobile will leave you wondering just what MS are doing over in Redmond, 'cause they sure aren't working on improving anything. The TP runs HTC's 'lipstick on a pig', AKA TouchFlo, which is an oxymoron as nothing much flows. Oh sure, you can hack, crack and cook your own ROM, if you really want to up the self-inflicted pain level...

- Tim
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:34 pm

I use the ATT Fuze which is the same as the Touch Pro. I have a cooked WinMo 6.5 rom on it and it's much more finger friendly than winmo 6.1.

I don't have the video out cable so I can't comment on it, but I know that it does have that feature.

The most annoying thing is that there is no headphone jack. To use headphones one must keep the tv out dongle plugged in.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gj83
The most annoying thing is that there is no headphone jack. To use headphones one must keep the tv out dongle plugged in.
Aye! Thanks so much. I had checked the specs but this little important detail had escaped me. Immediate disqualifier as listening to music would be one of the main uses.

I did check out the Nokia N97 specs, too. It has video out and has an expansion memory slot plus more pixels for screen and camera and a good keyboard. It's slightly heavier and bigger, of course. One can run PP directly from the phone to present. One can also at least read Word, Excel and Acrobat files. So far that looks like the closest runner-up to the Iphone.

Till
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Sounds like the Impatica ShowMate?

http://www.impatica.com/products/showmate/index.html

• PowerPoint presentations from BlackBerry, Palm, Sony Ericsson and Windows Mobile smartphones
  • Screen contents from BlackBerry smartphones with BlackBerry OS 4.2.2 or later and from Windows Mobile devices.
Seems better than video out since it is wireless via Bluetooth. You can walk around with a Blackberry in your hand like a remote rather than be tethered to the projector.

Saw it for $187 from shopblackberry.com

The biggest plus? No need for Windows Mobile. I had the HTC TyTN II. Glad I'm off that boat....

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Sep 9, 2009 at 11:36 pm
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Leumas
Some of the Nokia N-series phones have video output. I think the N95, N96 and N97 all do.
In the UK, the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic comes with a video cable. I haven't tried to show video on a TV yet - only pictures - so I can't comment on how well (or not) it works.

/dnastudios

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.