FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   How to access facebook & youtube in China...? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/974148-how-access-facebook-youtube-china.html)

SQ Flyer Talker Jul 11, 2009 9:33 pm

How to access facebook & youtube in China...?

As many riots such as the recent Xianjiang one, China blocked most of the photo & video web sites, which included the previous blocked youtube, do you guys have any idea how to bypass the proxy?

Many of my friends recommend me to do a google search on "unblock facenook" & "unblock youtube", but many of these sites will just give me a picture of a snap shot of the screen, many features aren't even clickable. I need a fully access to the facebook & youtube but not just a snap shot. Anyone can help m on that? Thanks!

Gargoyle Jul 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Unfortunately, the Chinese gov't will be blocking most of the traditional proxies, like anonymizer,megaproxy,surfola.

Google search might not work, since Google cut deals with the gov't there. One of the other search engines may find something that will work.

Still, you have to assume that someone is "looking over your shoulder" all the time, so change your passwords as soon as you leave the country.

boberonicus Jul 12, 2009 12:31 am

Tell us more about you and your situation.

1. Access is for your use?
2. Do you work for a company outside of China? If so, how do you access the network at work?
3. Where are you now?
4. Can you spend money on this?

I'm thinking about a full tunnel VPN solution...

daniellam Jul 12, 2009 1:48 am

If you work for a company outside China (eg. US, Canada, Europe etc.) and have a work laptop, then you would probably have access to your company's network via VPN.

Note: Depending on the VPN client you use, you must set it to "always tunnel" in order for all internet traffic to route through your company (outside China)'s network.

nandyhand Jul 12, 2009 3:07 am

hmmm

im in china too and cant get on facebook. I heard from some people can get on using anchorfree but only on macs? is there any other programs like this?

Gargoyle Jul 12, 2009 8:08 am

I'm serious about the comment that you need to realize someone is probably reading everything you type while in China.

Note this article:
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.ph...u=FvgJN&ref=mf
They have simple technology and the resources to big-brother you, so if you do go on FB and other sites, you should assume that your PW is compromised.

SQ Flyer Talker Jul 12, 2009 9:59 am

Originally Posted by boberonicus (Post 12052139)
Tell us more about you and your situation.

1. Access is for your use?
2. Do you work for a company outside of China? If so, how do you access the network at work?
3. Where are you now?
4. Can you spend money on this?

I'm thinking about a full tunnel VPN solution...

1. Of course access is for my own use after work, my company block all the yahoo, MSN, Gmail, etc...so when I'm back to my dormitory at night, I start surfing the net.

2. My company is located at Shenzhen within China. I don't get much access the network at work as I said, mostly intranet.

3. I'm in Shenzhen right now.

4. How much are you talking about I need to spend...? If it's too expensive like US$80 / month, I rather commute to Hong Kong on a every 2 to 3 days basis & surf the net...!

If you are thinking about the VPN, then I do I get the access thru your virtual private network...?

soitgoes Jul 12, 2009 11:47 am

Witopia offers VPN from $40-$70/yr.
http://www.witopia.net/index.php/products/

There are other companies as well, but I think they're pretty competitively priced.

adambadam Jul 12, 2009 12:38 pm

Does hotspot shield get past it? There are Win and Mac versions.

boberonicus Jul 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes (Post 12053691)
Witopia offers VPN from $40-$70/yr.
http://www.witopia.net/index.php/products/

There are other companies as well, but I think they're pretty competitively priced.

This kind of solution makes the most sense for the OP. Jiwire used to offer a VPN product for around $40 / year but I can't find it anymore. The problem with any commercial VPN solution meant for individual users is that they represent a high-value target for government officials who want to block your connection. So tomorrow, they could say "all traffic to those VPN servers is blocked." and then you're out of luck.

I was hoping your company was based outside of China so that you could VPN back to the corporate servers. I would imagine that Fortune 500 users who can establish a full VPN tunnel can access Facebook when traveling to China.

grimani Jul 13, 2009 11:59 am

google "facebook" and "proxy". there are a number of quite good paid ones. and as others mentioned VPN services work as well.

or if you are feeling adventurous set up a SSL tunnel yourself to a computer you have access to outside of china

gobluetwo Jul 13, 2009 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by boberonicus (Post 12054317)
I would imagine that Fortune 500 users who can establish a full VPN tunnel can access Facebook when traveling to China.

Unless the company blocks social networking and other sites on their corporate servers, as many F500/1000 companies do. OP mentions that his company blocks internet mail, so I would have to assume they also block social networks (except maybe business-related sites like LinkedIn).

JClishe Jul 13, 2009 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by grimani (Post 12058789)
or if you are feeling adventurous set up a SSL tunnel yourself to a computer you have access to outside of china

That was going to be my suggestion as well, especially if you have a router at home that supports it.

noelgl Sep 23, 2009 3:02 am

We have had the same problem here in Shanghai. The best way to unblock facebook we have found, (and it actually works!) is to subscribe to a VPN service provider. The one we use does not advertise that it unblocks facebook, but is more geared to providing access to UK Media such as BBC iPlayer. It was lack of facebook that prompted us to search, but we wish we had known about VPN's sooner. Subscription is only £5.00 per month at my-expat-network.

pred02 Dec 6, 2009 5:52 am

Recommended VPN service for China

Hi,
I am in China for another 10 days ago and as I noticed China blocks major video streaming websites including Youtube. I tried a service that I found on Google and even though it works it is slow and practically useless for streaming video from sites.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive service that is fast and works well with video streaming websites? I do not need a long term, just a short term subscription.

Thanks!