Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How to access facebook & youtube in China...?

How to access facebook & youtube in China...?

Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:30 pm
ilu

Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
As many riots such as the recent Xianjiang one, China blocked most of the photo & video web sites, which included the previous blocked youtube, do you guys have any idea how to bypass the proxy?

Many of my friends recommend me to do a google search on "unblock facenook" & "unblock youtube", but many of these sites will just give me a picture of a snap shot of the screen, many features aren't even clickable. I need a fully access to the facebook & youtube but not just a snap shot. Anyone can help m on that? Thanks!
hey SQ Flyer Talker, have ya found how to access facebook yet? can you please PM me? thanks lots
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Apparently Turkey also blocks YouTube...I just learned that last night. I'm also looking for a way around that.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
If you have access to a computer at home, say a desktop or spare/ancient laptop then leave it running all the time when you are away.

Before you leave home download the free LogMeIn programme to the spare machine and set up your account etc, then when you are away in the restricted place using the internet log into your machine at home.

what you then do is take control of the machine at home using the logmein system, and you view the image on your home machine. it uses a secure tunnel.

try it before you go, it is a free option and therefore easy and a very price advantageous option!

if it works, then you might want to try the logmein pro option, which you put on the home version and can download music etc (for youtube) via the aes link to your laptop.

they have a free pro download for a time limited test period, which then reverts to the free. I am a satisfied user of the pro, so no other commercial link.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta
I've found a way

During my last trip to Shanghai (August '09) I found a way to access Facebook and I'll be happy to share my method with anyone who's interested. Please PM me for the details.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
For the sites that were blocked while I was in China, I found I could access them while I was connected to work via a VPN tunnel.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:03 pm

I'm based between Shanghai and Beijing these days and my company has a proxy service in place for other reasons that also opens up blocked blogging sites, FB and YT. I don't really use the service. Plus, I'd generally rather be out and exploring the city and learning more about the place.

So, another option is to not worry about it and enjoy your time in Shenzhen. If you get desperate, you can always quickly hop over to Hong Kong where everything is accessible. It's only about an hour or so away on the train.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by michswiss
So, another option is to not worry about it and enjoy your time in Shenzhen. If you get desperate, you can always quickly hop over to Hong Kong where everything is accessible. It's only about an hour or so away on the train.
The place I'm staying here is not exactly Shenzhen downtown, not at Fu Tian or Lo Wu around the border, it's called Longgang, with traffic jam commute from Longgang to Huanggang border can take up to 1.5 to 2 hours, the complete journey going back to HK can end up 2 to 3 hours, so there is no point for me to going back to HK after work on a daily basis, by the time I reach HK, a late dinner, a shower, then go to sleep, have to wake up around 05:00 am to catch the border bus at 06:30 to come back.

Besides to pay the $$$ transportation fee with an estimation of commute daily basis will cost somewhere around US$300 to US$400 per month, plus the risk of being hijack, kidnap, robbery, etc...as now is close to the Chinese New Year, I already saw a couple of times that some China Local Police caught those thieves right outside my company premises when those bad guys was trying to take the handbag away from a woman.

Every Mon morning & Fri evening we gather a bunch of HKers, Malaysians, Singaporeans to share the private mini van (black cab) as we knew the driver very well in order to avoid some strange driver will take different routes...! If I'm going back on other days, let's say Tue, Wed, Thr, then I'm on my own traveling, & there were a couple of times that some other HK colleagues got robbed while they on the way to the border...!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
What about https: ??? Is that blocked too??

The most effective free solution I have found is TOR! https://www.torproject.org

I have not been to China myself, only HK, so haven't had a chance for testing it IRL yet! Lot of water has gone under the bridge since the first time I tried it, and even at that time, it worked fine!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rukor
What about https: ??? Is that blocked too??

The most effective free solution I have found is TOR! https://www.torproject.org

I have not been to China myself, only HK, so haven't had a chance for testing it IRL yet! Lot of water has gone under the bridge since the first time I tried it, and even at that time, it worked fine!
https: will work, certainly for a number of work-related websites and VPNs I access.

I just tried the link you quote here in Shanghai, and does not seem to work here (but works fine when I use a VPN tunnel to the UK). This does not mean it is blocked forever - the picture constantly changes and what works in Shanghai may not work in Beijing, and vice versa.

The best solutions I have seen involve the use of corporate VPNs. The next best solution seems to be buying access to an independent VPN supplier, though they need to keep changing the access address.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
One data point

Originally Posted by antichef

Before you leave home download the free LogMeIn programme to the spare machine and set up your account etc, then when you are away in the restricted place using the internet log into your machine at home.
I've used LogMeIn for quite a while and think it's a great program. I was in Shanghai in the fall and tried to access my home computer from my laptop through the in-room internet at Le Meridien. It was a no-go. I didn't really need it for anything so I didn't persevere so YMMV.

Incidentally, I was able to access facebook through the app on my Blackberry.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by House
https: will work, certainly for a number of work-related websites and VPNs I access.

I just tried the link you quote here in Shanghai, and does not seem to work here (but works fine when I use a VPN tunnel to the UK). This does not mean it is blocked forever - the picture constantly changes and what works in Shanghai may not work in Beijing, and vice versa.

The best solutions I have seen involve the use of corporate VPNs. The next best solution seems to be buying access to an independent VPN supplier, though they need to keep changing the access address.
Sounds fair, but the TORproject is like a different kind of proxy, that installs on your pc, and will work on any browser, just set up the correct settings!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:10 am

Wink nowlala

nowlala, using its nowlala mode--proxy mode, fast to access any website in China.^_^
Old Aug 30, 2011, 5:13 am

anybody using ssh with a home machine they can connect to, ssh -D worked for me for the most part. Just configure the local machine to connect to the socks proxy at localhost:1080.

-David
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by noelgl
We have had the same problem here in Shanghai. The best way to unblock facebook we have found, (and it actually works!) is to subscribe to a VPN service provider. The one we use does not advertise that it unblocks facebook, but is more geared to providing access to UK Media such as BBC iPlayer. It was lack of facebook that prompted us to search, but we wish we had known about VPN's sooner. Subscription is only 5.00 per month at my-expat-network.
I have the same experience using VPNs generally, but for some reason the VPNs I've used drop connections to the iPhone quite a lot, whereas on my Mac laptop the connection stays active for hours. One other problem can be slow load spreads due to round tripping from China to another country and back.

Good luck.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I have the same experience using VPNs generally, but for some reason the VPNs I've used drop connections to the iPhone quite a lot, whereas on my Mac laptop the connection stays active for hours. One other problem can be slow load spreads due to round tripping from China to another country and back.

Good luck.
I have used this http://vpnprivacy.com/best-vpn-for-china.html VPN server located on the west coast of USA in California.
The closest US server to China. Not bad
At least Facebook and Youtube video worked for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.