Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-mobile (U.S.) and 3G service?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Exclamation T-mobile (U.S.) and 3G service?

On searching for 3G (1700 and 2100 bands) quadband GSM, I found only 6 phones. But I found 70 3G triband (850, 1900 and 2100). I am wondering if I should switch to AT&T from T-mobile as the choice of phones on T-mobile is so limited. How is T-mobile's 3G service? If you have 1700 and 2100, you can get by everywhere except al of Americas (with the exception of T-mobile), as most opf America uses 850 and 1900 bands for 3G. I seek opinions and advice. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends what you want to use it for.

T-mobile's 3G coverage is still nascent - nonexistent outside of major cities (and even not all major cities). If you are okay with that, stick with T-mobile. They do tend to be cheaper. If you need wall to wall 3G, go with Sprint or Verizon.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:58 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
You don't have to use a T-Mobile branded phone. Any GSM phone that supports proper frequencies will work. I have not used a T-Mo branded phone ever.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Are you actually able to get 3G speeds with a non- T-Mobile phone?

T-Mobile uses band IV for their 3G service ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands ) , which as far as I know is only used by T-Mobile and is not supported by regular GSM phones.

Regular unlocked phones work perfectly fine for making calls and using t-mobiles EDGE network, but I don't think they would work for 3G.

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
You don't have to use a T-Mobile branded phone. Any GSM phone that supports proper frequencies will work. I have not used a T-Mo branded phone ever.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
What makes you think I was looking for T-branded phones? I don't think you know what I am talking about.
There is a totality of three phones that support HSDPA frequencies used by T-mobile, and 10 that support UMTS.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
What makes you think I was looking for T-branded phones? I don't think you know what I am talking about.
There is a totality of three phones that support HSDPA frequencies used by T-mobile, and 10 that support UMTS.
Please keep it polite - people are just trying to help.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not entirely sure what kind of information you are looking for - yes, T-Mobile only offers a handful of 3G phones and one USB 3G adapter. There are no unbranded GSM phones that support the AWS frequencies. There is no denying that AT&T has more 3G phones AND better unbranded/unlocked support.

That said - T-Mobile will have the HTC Dash and Touch Pro2 very soon, and both of those will be 3G enabled. But even with a 3G phone, the coverage is very limited.

Bottom line - for a variety of phones and good coverage, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

On searching for 3G (1700 and 2100 bands) quadband GSM, I found only 6 phones. But I found 70 3G triband (850, 1900 and 2100). I am wondering if I should switch to AT&T from T-mobile as the choice of phones on T-mobile is so limited. How is T-mobile's 3G service? If you have 1700 and 2100, you can get by everywhere except al of Americas (with the exception of T-mobile), as most opf America uses 850 and 1900 bands for 3G. I seek opinions and advice. Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by ScottC
I'm not entirely sure what kind of information you are looking for - yes, T-Mobile only offers a handful of 3G phones and one USB 3G adapter. There are no unbranded GSM phones that support the AWS frequencies. There is no denying that AT&T has more 3G phones AND better unbranded/unlocked support.

That said - T-Mobile will have the HTC Dash and Touch Pro2 very soon, and both of those will be 3G enabled. But even with a 3G phone, the coverage is very limited.

Bottom line - for a variety of phones and good coverage, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Now that was the kind of advice I was looking for. Telling me that I should not lot at branded phones alone is nod advice, or indication that someone missed the specific questions I asked.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Depends what you want to use it for.

T-mobile's 3G coverage is still nascent - nonexistent outside of major cities (and even not all major cities). If you are okay with that, stick with T-mobile. They do tend to be cheaper. If you need wall to wall 3G, go with Sprint or Verizon.
Currently, my use is limited to voice use only and my son, like most teenagers, is a prolific texter, for whom, I got an unlimited family texting plan. To his credit, he did not incur a charge for even one text message while we were discussing the issue of why e needs to text!

Since I haven't got a 3G phone, and have never used any of the 3G services, I am unable to say for sure, what I would use it for! I understand that it is a pertinent question, but you also indicate that T-mobile's G service is almost non-existent beyond a a few metropolitan areas.

While reading the TT forum on FT for my recent, and first trip to Japan, I learnt that there are phones that are triband 3G and quadband GSM, but there wasn't enough time for me to get one before the trip. I was unable to buy a cheap prepaid phone in Japan, but my contact in Japan lent me one to use during my trip. Upon my return, three days ago, I discovered, when I started searching for quadband GSM and triband 3G phones (1700, 2100 and another band which is not 900), there is no such phone. Now I find out that, thanks to you and Scott, that T-mobile's 3G coverage is rather sketchy. There is very little incentive for someone to stay with T-mobile, it seems.
Next year, my son will go to college. My contract with T-mobile ends in two months. I thought this would be a good time to plan ahead and switch if it turns out that my son needs to or wants to use 3G services such as higher speed data services. T-mobile's offering of phones for upgrades is very limited too. In 5 years of service with T-mobile, we have been able to upgrade only once. I Switched to T-mobile from sprint because I wanted to have GSM service.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jul 1, 2009 at 3:53 am
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:28 am

If they send Catherine Zeta-Jones to your house, would you stay with t-mobile?

Kidding aside, I think you nailed the analysis. T-mobile (prepaid) makes sense for me, but I'm a low tech, low use cell phone person.

-David
Old Jul 1, 2009, 3:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
If they send Catherine Zeta-Jones to your house, would you stay with t-mobile?

Kidding aside, I think you nailed the analysis. T-mobile (prepaid) makes sense for me, but I'm a low tech, low use cell phone person.

-David
Thanks. I tried to approach things reasponable, and came here looking for advice. Maybe it was a mistake. For some reason, some thought that looking for T-mobile branded phones was the problem.
As for the T-mobile retention offer, I refuse to answer that.
Well, I am also not the kind ho needs the latest gadget, the latest phone, or replace it every 6 months or so. But I would jump in for the higher tech if I can justify the expense. It seems my kids are trained well too. I asked them if they wanted iPod or iPhone, their response was "Dady, I can't justify the expense!" How refreshing to hear that from a 16 yr and an 11 yr old!. I was surprised that he never texted, not even once, until we signed up. Poor guy had to wait for three months before my wife finally gave in.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:38 am

their response was "Daddy, I can't justify the expense!"
hahaha. That's very sweet.

I don't think it was a mistake. You got some good replies in this thread, and only one from somebody that probably misunderstood the OP.

-David
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I find out that, thanks to you and Scott, that T-mobile's 3G coverage is rather sketchy. There is very little incentive for someone to stay with T-mobile, it seems.
Well, again, if you're not sure why you'd need/want 3G data then not having 3G data isn't really a reason to switch. I have a T-mobile phone and an AT&T phone. My T-mobile phone is a Blackberry, and I use a TON more data on it than I do on my 3G AT&T phone. Frankly, I have been less than impressed with AT&T's service since getting the AT&T phone (it's a work-supplied phone).

Next year, my son will go to college. My contract with T-mobile ends in two months. I thought this would be a good time to plan ahead and switch if it turns out that my son needs to or wants to use 3G services such as higher speed data services. T-mobile's offering of phones for upgrades is very limited too. In 5 years of service with T-mobile, we have been able to upgrade only once. I Switched to T-mobile from sprint because I wanted to have GSM service.
If he for some reason wants to tether a laptop to a 3G phone, this could make sense - though if T-mobile has 3G service in his college town I bet it would be more than adequate, especially since most colleges have pervasive wifi these days.

Can't speak to your upgrade experience. I've always been able to get new customer pricing every 10 months or so. I like T-mobile's selection because I'm a Blackberry guy and they get new Berries fairly frequently.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
College may be an excellent reason to keep TMO - Hotspot@home with a wifi router in his room. Otherwise, you're going to need an account with unlimited minutes
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbreuer
College may be an excellent reason to keep TMO - Hotspot@home with a wifi router in his room. Otherwise, you're going to need an account with unlimited minutes
That isn't too hard nowadays. Loyal customers can get unlimited plans for as little as $50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.