Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by AAFA
It wouldn't be your bible reading that would make you go back to the gate, it would be your twitching and heavy breathing that would do it.
I'd guess it wouldn't be my twitching and heavy breathing that would get you reprimanded, though. Trust me, that's not the issue the press would have a field day with . . .

If you weren't displaying signs of a panic attack or some other ailment, I would explain to you that your electronic device needed to be turned off and if you really needed to read the bible I would get you the one we had on board.
Do you carry a Qu'ran, Torah, Book of Mormon, etc? Perhaps my choice of the Christian Bible wasn't the best. I'll see what else I can dig up.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
1. I love the argument that because other people do things they have been asked not to do, that it therefore is OK for them to do the same.

Thief to Police officer: I know there is a law against stealing, but I see reports of thefts every day, so that means other people are doing it.

2. To those who say that the kindle uses no power once the E-Ink is set, the question I have is: How long do you read the same page? I presume that the kindle uses power every time you change the page. (note: this question is not related to aircraft safety - just interested in the technology)

3. Can anyone point to a scientific study or combination of studies in independent literature (as opposed to anecdotal or manufacturer's evidence) which demonstrates that the amount of EMF emitted by a Kindle poses no danger to aircraft? Even if I personally believe it to be true, and I do, I would prefer to see more than references to anecdotes like "laptops left in standby mode don't seem to affect aircraft". I know that there are some scientists on FT, has anyone used science to prove this point?

Last edited by You want to go where?; Oct 15, 2009 at 3:42 pm
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Maybe some people just don't believe in mindlessly following rules because they are told to? Instead they want to understand the logic behind them? In the case of the of the electronic rules there is not much logic behind them unless you are flying in some ancient aircraft with absolutely no shielding of electronic components... Protip, turn your cell phone off in an vintage Piper Cub...
Yeah, well I'm not aware of any planes going down because of people smoking in the bathroom, but I'll follow the rules anyway, even if I feel there isn't any risk involved or such rules don't make sense in my mind.

I don't always agree with the rules on the planes either, but until I'm willing to just take Greyhound or fly NetJet all the time, I'll play by their rules.

(note: I'm not really a smoker, just snarky)
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<MOD>
OK, folks. Enough.

We all know the rules. They don't always make sense, but until we are in a position that permits writing them we're stuck with them.

No more of the attacks or the snarkiness. It isn't helpful to the community here and certainly doesn't help with the discussion at hand.
</MOD>
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<MOD>
I tried. Y'all failed. The party is over.
</MOD>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.