Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's nt too late to opt out. From Teh Independent comes this advice:
...The first way can only be done if you haven’t accepted the new terms, using the pop-up that will emerge when you open up WhatsApp. If you haven’t, wait until that happens but don’t click “agree” – instead navigate to the smaller “read more” option, and untick the box that says “Share my WhatsApp account information with Facebook”.

If you’ve already accepted those new terms, you can still opt out – as long as it’s within 30 days. You can do that by heading to the settings menu in the app, and pressing on the account tab – there you’ll find a “share my account info” button that you can undress and revoke your permission.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dtsm
Not just google or FB, everyone does it in some form or fashion. Ever find you shop or browse for something or some place (eg Trip Advisor) and next thing you see is an advertisement for same or similar item on FT? Happens to me all the time.
Yes I know how it works (although I don't use Tripadvisor). But again, I don't care about that.

They allowed you to opt out until August 25 or 26. Strange as I was able to turn off share with FB on my 5s but an hour later when I went to do same for Mrs., option no longer there?
Not true in my case. I opted out this morning, the 27th thanks to the post above.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I Just got it this morning on my Android. Wife has not got it on her iphone 5s, daughter got it yesterday on her iphone 6 (if the model makes any difference). The app itself did not update but I got a splash screen saying the terms they were a changing.
Thanks for the info! I think I was the last person on Earth to get the WhatsApp calling feature, so it will likely take some time for me to get the new terms.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
My favorite emoticon as well
it actually means luck in japan, where emoji started.

yes sorry, i just found out this thread. Been an active user long before this thread had the 5th post. thank god i knew better to switch off notifications before anything else!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes I know how it works (although I don't use Tripadvisor). But again, I don't care about that.
adwords. and when typing this reply i thought of a scenario. you've rejected the arrangement of your data being sent to fb; but your correspondent hadnt. they can still use the data they got on the other party and sent it back to you. yes, i was chatting with a friend who went to santorini yesterday, and the santorini ads popped up right away!

the scary part was many moons ago a flight seatmate i had (we exchanged emails to chat on and off for a few years before it broke off due to busy life etc) popped up on my fb "people you know" list.

We've only contacted thru email and i never saved her contacts in any other means except being she is probably saved on my hotmail as a people i contact (not sure about her end). AND we dont have any common friends.
That one odd stalking life.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have been using WA for four years now. It was introduced to me during a stay in Hong Kong. WA allows me to stay in touch with key friends outside the USA.

At times I want to use my iPad since my typing skills on an iPhone are limited so Chat for WhatsApp has worked for me.

Finally, did not remember seeing that an FTer created this app that is widely acclaimed by countless friends around the world.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA
I'm happy for Jan's success with Whatsapp, but I have stopped using it. The first reason is that coworkers in other countries were using it at all hours of the night to contact me and pressure me to take on urgent jobs they were having trouble finding someone to do. The second reason was the sale to Facebook. I keep my FB (and Google) privacy settings locked down as tightly as I can, and I'm not interested in contributing to their data mining moneymaking any more than I have to. So far I have not had a single friend or family member in any country contact me asking me to please use Whatsapp to communicate with them. But all that's just me. If other people like it, fine for them.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
EFF recently rated companies on privacy.

WA has one of the lowest ratings, lower than FB itself:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...our-back-list/
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by wco81
WA has one of the lowest [EFF] ratings, lower than FB itself
The low score seems to be based on having not taking a pledge, not the technical layer. Facebook gets high marks, but how far do you trust them?

Under "Privacy" in WhatsApp's Wikipedia entry are reports about how FB shares data with WhatsApp, and the EU fined them for Privacy rule violations.

I don't know if they still do it, but Apple had a reverse NSL poison pill canary-in-a-coal-mine in their annual reports. Something like: "Number of NSL's this year: 0" Since you can't report if you've had an NSL, if the line went away in the report, then the canary died.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by cubbie
I'm happy for Jan's success with Whatsapp, but I have stopped using it. The first reason is that coworkers in other countries were using it at all hours of the night to contact me and pressure me to take on urgent jobs they were having trouble finding someone to do. The second reason was the sale to Facebook. I keep my FB (and Google) privacy settings locked down as tightly as I can, and I'm not interested in contributing to their data mining moneymaking any more than I have to. So far I have not had a single friend or family member in any country contact me asking me to please use Whatsapp to communicate with them. But all that's just me. If other people like it, fine for them.
use the mute option
timesnaps likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
use the mute option
Have a like.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA
Good point, but the second issue, the sale to Facebook, is still a dealbreaker for me.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:57 pm

If you're worried about security / privacy, I'd suggest looking at Signal. It's very similar to WhatsApp. If you've used WhatsApp, you've basically used Signal, since WhatsApp uses Signal's software, but then does their own modifications to it. Signal doesn't have some of the security flaws WhatsApp introduced to make life easier for users.

How good is Signal? So good that the US Senate has decided to start using it.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Too bad there is not an iPad version of Signal. I looked at Confide which gets iPhone, iPad, and iWatch but the messages are deleted after they are read which is not what I need.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by KRSW
If you're worried about security / privacy, I'd suggest looking at Signal. It's very similar to WhatsApp. If you've used WhatsApp, you've basically used Signal, since WhatsApp uses Signal's software, but then does their own modifications to it. Signal doesn't have some of the security flaws WhatsApp introduced to make life easier for users.

How good is Signal? So good that the US Senate has decided to start using it.
The main problem with this might be that it´s "lonely" there if all your friends and co-workers will stay with whatsapp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.