Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:16 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Congrats!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by jkb76
ever since i semi-retired a little over a year ago,
did you ever think that it could end up being sold for 19B?

Let's hope that fb doesn't ruin a great app.

lol ... just read your current post ... very funny and nice to hear that!

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 21, 2014 at 12:30 am
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
aww thank you so much everybody for your kind words. it is amazing to see how much people here in USA are genuinely happy about and supportive of success of others around them.

i really do love flyertalk and still have those bright yellow flyertalk suitcase tags on my briggs and riley bag. (yeah, the same briggs and riley suitcase i bought after researching it here and getting feedback from you all

i'll tell you all a funny story which has to do with flyertalk: i am actually flying to Barcelona for MWC right now using the M&M miles award ticket (i am posting this from LH455 flight)... i obviously got these tickets many months ago - i prefer to fly using miles when i can to save company money. as you know, award ticket inventory is limited and last minute changes are nearly impossible... and this is where it gets cute:

we announced the deal with Facebook on wednesday after the market closed. during the process, we realized there was a chance we might not be able to get the deal wrapped up and signed on wednesday and it could delay.

when the risk of the delay became real, i said: "if we don't get it done on wednesday, it probably wont get done. i have tickets on thursday to fly out to Barcelona which i bought with miles and they are not easily refundable or even possible to change. this has to be done by wednesday or else!!!"

...and so one of the biggest deals in tech history had to be scheduled around my M&M award ticket
You sir, are an inspiration.
G-d bless and looking forward to hearing the good you'll surely accomplish with your new-found riches.
Abelefko1 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:39 pm

Smile

Congratulations! Love your humor and character here. It's very inspiring to see such wonderful success from a fellow miles-and-points junkie.

Wish you the best of enjoyment and success in the future with this $19B. Hope to see you around on FT still.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Great deal story and congratulations
- Not just the US based FTers who can be happy about others success, although I do agree that the US seems to celebrate successful entrepreneurs more than other countries

Good to see that even as some of the investment $s flowed in the last few years you still ran the business as though it was solely your money, and optimised the use of FF points.

As someone who has worked on M&A deals, including some of size, sadly not as shareholder however, it is amazing how much the wants and needs of key individuals can influence the structure of a deal - whether it be holiday timings, who gets Chairman v CEO, or getting a golf club membership thrown in as part of the deal
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
...and so one of the biggest deals in tech history had to be scheduled around my M&M award ticket
Haha. Spoken like a true FTer ^
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by sky303
^^^

You're definitely an FTer at heart!
^ 2nd that and congrats to OP
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I met Jan on several occasions at a car get together at Santana Row (in San Jose), probably about 7+ years ago now. I had a little blue sports car I was considering selling that caught his eye. Amazing where people can end up when they have a great idea and are passionate about what they do. Congratulations Jan!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Congratulations! (Btw. did you know that you can fly your own plane for seriously less than $19B? You could even buy Lufthansa in a pinch and have change left to the tunes of 7.5B dollars.)
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Congrats on the sale! It shows that nothing gets in the way between a man and his award F ticket! Great precedent for the future!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Congrats on an incredible sale my friend, may we all be connected forever from everywhere from now on!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:36 am

Red face

i would like to hear your feedback and suggestions on the idea. hit or miss?
Sorry, I just don't see something like this catching on.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Best thread ever Congrats on the sale!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:14 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Apparently it was a hit lol
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by whimike
I met Jan on several occasions at a car get together at Santana Row (in San Jose), probably about 7+ years ago now. I had a little blue sports car I was considering selling that caught his eye. Amazing where people can end up when they have a great idea and are passionate about what they do. Congratulations Jan!
nice!

Congratulations Jan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.