Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
My European colleagues and I use this app to text back and forth for work purposes....didn't know it was created by a FTer!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I saw that you can start backing up conversations to Google Drive. I downloaded the newest version (2.12.47 apparently) and it clearly has the new Material design, yet under "Settings; Chat Settings," there's no "Backup Settings."

Any thoughts about how to get the ability to backup to Google Drive? Using on an Android
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:07 am

no idea about android, but in the ios app it's under settings/chat settings/Chat Backup.

-David
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
no idea about android, but in the ios app it's under settings/chat settings/Chat Backup.

-David
I thought the feature wasn't released yet for iOS?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes it's in iOS now. You can set it to back up to the iCloud daily, weekly, or monthly. You can also do it manually.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:27 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Wow, congratulations jkb76! What an awesome thread to stumble upon on FT!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

I have a couple questions about use of the app.

1) I have a BB Q10. I've been thru the instructions on how to add accounts, by first adding in the phone contact list. I'm doing something wrong as I still can't pull up someone I know is using WhatsApp in that account. Any tricks?

2) Can I use WhatsApp without having it roaming on a cellular network? Will it use hotspots? I'm going to Beirut and need to meet someone at the airport who uses WhatsApp. Lebanon is not one of the countries where T-Mobile offers free service.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

1) I have a BB Q10. I've been thru the instructions on how to add accounts, by first adding in the phone contact list. I'm doing something wrong as I still can't pull up someone I know is using WhatsApp in that account. Any tricks?

2) Can I use WhatsApp without having it roaming on a cellular network? Will it use hotspots? I'm going to Beirut and need to meet someone at the airport who uses WhatsApp. Lebanon is not one of the countries where T-Mobile offers free service.
I can't answer the first question since I haven't had a BB since 2012 (though I first downloaded WhatsApp on my BB in 2010).

But for the latter, WhatsApp works over any internet connection you have, WiFi or cellular
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes, use WiFi if possible. However if you can't find WiFi and have to turn on data roaming for a minute or two, Whatsapp uses a very tiny amount of data so it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

And I too am clueless about most things Blackberry! Sorry.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

1) I have a BB Q10. I've been thru the instructions on how to add accounts, by first adding in the phone contact list. I'm doing something wrong as I still can't pull up someone I know is using WhatsApp in that account. Any tricks
I've got a Q10 as well. I think you're trying to communicate with someone who is listed as a phone contact. If so, it's easy to use a contact from your phone contact list to start a WhatsApp conversation.

- Open WhatsApp
- Select the menu on the lower left (three lines)
- Select 'Contacts' -- which is a list of all of the standard phone contacts
- Select the contact you wish to communicate with.

After selecting a contact if the number is not recognized as being associated with a WhatsApp account you'll be prmpted to send an invite. If it is already associated (and you indicate this is so) you can send a message.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Apr 28, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thank you, joshwex90 and stimpy. Very helpful.

And Xyzzy, a mega thank you to you. Sometimes I have to hear something multiple times before it clicks. I had read those instructions last night on the WhatsApp FAQ. Yet every time I went to WhatsApp, pressing the three bars took me back to the BB hub. After you said it, I know I was doing something wrong but what. I realized (doh!) that I needed to enter WhatsApp thru the application and not thru the hub. Voila! I am very relieved to now understand how to use this more effectively.

As an aside, I had a three way conversation last night with someone in Beirut, in Papua New Guinea, and me in San Diego. Technology is a wonderful thing.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
...Yet every time I went to WhatsApp, pressing the three bars took me back to the BB hub. After you said it, I know I was doing something wrong but what. I realized (doh!) that I needed to enter WhatsApp thru the application and not thru the hub...
Not too many things need the actual app to be loaded vs. access via the hub, but this is one of them. I've forgotten that t more than a few times.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: points traveller
just came upon this thread. that's so cool that 6 years since the original post whatsapp is now a multibillion dollar company.

big thanks to the OP/ founder - my (now) fiancee and I spent 18 months conversing by whatsapp whilst living on opposite sides of the pacific ocean before she moved over to Australia to be together.

Cheers mate!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
OP, I doubt you'll need to visit FT anymore (and you haven't in almost a year), but I just want to congratulate your app on surpassing the 1 billion monthly users mark.

Seriously, almost 1 in 7 people in the world use this app. Incredible.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/02/01...ople-globally/
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
OP, I doubt you'll need to visit FT anymore (and you haven't in almost a year), but I just want to congratulate your app on surpassing the 1 billion monthly users mark.

Seriously, almost 1 in 7 people in the world use this app. Incredible.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/02/01...ople-globally/
Considering the billions that Facebook paid for the app, I suspect (and hope!) that the OP is even more retired now and living large and laying low on a beach somewhere!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.