Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thanks fr the link - great article!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Congratulations JKB76 ! .... so not having to think about doing a mileage run ..... ever again !! how does that even feel like ??? wow !
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by BOB W
I deleted the app as I found it completely useless and virus prone, but congrats on becoming a billionaire
Virus prone!? I think you misunderstand the term virus.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:00 pm

I don't understand why WhatsApp cannot be installed on iPads. We have a family of mixed iPhones and Android phones and we all use WhatsApp to group chat. But most of us also got iPads. iMessages go to both iPhones and iPads, so why can't WhatsApp do the same? Facebook Messenger can do the same thing and Facebook owns WhatsApp now.. so why can't WhatsApp run on iPad without going thru jailbreak or a weird process of using ifunbox?
Old May 20, 2014, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Maybe because Apple blocks voice and SMS on iPads for some reason?

Maybe WhatsApp has some dependency on accessing the non-data part of the radio?

Though I got a data SIM for my iPad Mini Retina last week from T-Mobile and they associated a phone number with it, though I can't call or SMS from it.

Maybe if I stuck the SIM in my iPhone?
Old May 20, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by jkb76
i would like to hear your feedback and suggestions on the idea. hit or miss?
I guess the idea has been approved by now

However, I am very unhappy customer on Android. The fact, that there is a high probability to lose all prior conversations when switching/ upgrading one's handset is extremely disappointing and a good reason to switch to another messaging app. Due to lack of conversation history the barriers to exit are close to zero since the majority of my (relevant) contacts are on other apps (Threema, WeChat) as well.

Unfortunately, there was no solution to this (known) issue even after investing substantial time, e.g. going the Python route.
My communication with WhatsApp CS was limited to "sorry, we're small, look at our website's FAQ, sorry, there is no solution, goodbye."
Old May 20, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by wco81
Maybe because Apple blocks voice and SMS on iPads for some reason?
You can use voice and SMS on your iPad with Skype and other VoIP apps. And you can install WhatsApp on your iPad with an app called Funbox, although I've only read about this. Google "whatsapp on ipad" for more details.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
You can use voice and SMS on your iPad with Skype and other VoIP apps. And you can install WhatsApp on your iPad with an app called Funbox, although I've only read about this. Google "whatsapp on ipad" for more details.
The ifunbox thing is not easy to do. And I read the comments that it doesn't seem to work if you want both the iPhone and iPad working at the same time. I have been using Skype, Google Voice SMS, and Facebook messages to talk to her on her iPad. It would have been much nicer if Whatsapp would work.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
The ifunbox thing is not easy to do. And I read the comments that it doesn't seem to work if you want both the iPhone and iPad working at the same time. I have been using Skype, Google Voice SMS, and Facebook messages to talk to her on her iPad. It would have been much nicer if Whatsapp would work.
How is Whatsapp significantly better than Skype? Especially when you are talking to someone who you already have setup as a contact?
Old May 20, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Need
I don't understand why WhatsApp cannot be installed on iPads. We have a family of mixed iPhones and Android phones and we all use WhatsApp to group chat. But most of us also got iPads. iMessages go to both iPhones and iPads, so why can't WhatsApp do the same? Facebook Messenger can do the same thing and Facebook owns WhatsApp now.. so why can't WhatsApp run on iPad without going thru jailbreak or a weird process of using ifunbox?
I think it's purely because your WhatsApp account is based on/linked to your cellphone number. iPads and other wifi or even most LTE tablets don't have the telephony bits to to verify with WhatsApp with your cellphone number. They would need to add some other form of account login for you to use it on multiple devices.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Found this link on Google. Haven't tried it out yet...

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipa...-ipad-3508959/
Old May 20, 2014, 3:57 pm
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
How is Whatsapp significantly better than Skype? Especially when you are talking to someone who you already have setup as a contact?
Because if you use Whatspp you are nothing but the property of Facebook, which owns Whatsapp, you, your voice, your photos and everything about you including the size of your penis/ladyparts.

Whatsapp is Skynet.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Skype doesn't secure your privacy either.

Now all data goes through MS servers instead of being decentralized and encrypted P2P.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Skype doesn't secure your privacy either.

Now all data goes through MS servers instead of being decentralized and encrypted P2P.
I'm pretty sure that isn't true.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:13 pm
Suspended

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012...-by-microsoft/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.