Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:23 pm

Awesome story !!!!!
Makes total sense, but I can only imagine how M&A deal teams handled that.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
When you win the lottery, you are just plain lucky. when you develop a widely used program and sell it for $18B, you are a genius! Congrats!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Also, probably now that you can really afford the F ticket, or most likely have someone else pay for it, it will seem wasteful since you know you can get that ticket with a couple of CC applications and MS!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by anrkitec
No, in addition to the address book privacy issues some say WhatsApp has been plagued by security issues and exploits which could allow hackers to take over users accounts.

I guess some major changes have been made, given how twitchy Apple is about such things. I believe Apple did pull it once though - at least for a while.

Regardless, "free" isn't always a bargain.
I refuse to use whatsapp due to these very issues. Loaded it on a trip to Spain and have had multiple problems, mostly with anonymous messages that I immediately deleted. I simply do not turst the security of the app.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Great story. Thank you for sharing.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Facebook screwed up big time by paying $19 billion for WhatsApp. I'm sure than jkb76 (Jan) is laughing all the way to the bank!

Viber is a similar messaging VOIP application for smartphones. In addition to text messaging, users can exchange images, video and audio media messages. Viber works on both 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks. Viber is a free app and is reported to have 280 million users (100 million of which are active monthly users). On February 14, 2014, the startup was acquired by Rakuten for $900 million.

Hmm....$900 million for 100 million active users vs. $19 billion for 450 million active users? Which is the better buy? You decide. Google passed on WhatsApp at $1 billion less than a year ago. But the smartest person in the room is jkb76, the creator of the app, who is now a multibillionaire.

Rakuten gets credit for buying a similar, if not better, app for 5% of the price Facebook paid. Had Facebook purchased Viber for $900 million, it could have easily quadrupled the number of active users and put an end to the dominance of WhatsApp. But they chose to go with the easier choice and shower the owners with billions in exchange for the continuing expertise.

My own preference is to use Viber. I use Viber everyday when I am overseas. I stopped using WhatsApp a week after downloading it. It's no Viber. And yet I own FB stock (in addition to GOOG). It's been a great investment, but any more reckless decisions and I'm going to sell FB and reinvest the proceeds in GOOG.

Last edited by DCBob; Feb 24, 2014 at 10:21 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:22 am

congratulations to the OP!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Just 2 observations :
1) 19 B$/ 450 million user = 42 $ per user
2) I opened a Whats app account just 1 month ago

Conclusion :
I am very happy to have contributed to a fellow FTer new wealth.. for 42 $ at least
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes
Just curious what it feels like to see your name in quotes like that...or your company on the headlines of every major news source around the world....
Methinks Jan might be away from FT, at least for a few months.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jkb76
aww thank you so much everybody for your kind words. it is amazing to see how much people here in USA are genuinely happy about and supportive of success of others around them.
Americans like real success stories and I'm no exception. Very happy for your good fortune; it was well-earned. Congratulations!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Outstanding
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
Originally Posted by jkb76
aww thank you so much everybody for your kind words. it is amazing to see how much people here in USA are genuinely happy about and supportive of success of others around them...."

...and so one of the biggest deals in tech history had to be scheduled around my M&M award ticket
Man this just makes my day. FT has been an obsession for me for years . . . and to think of your story now JKB76, every time I mention FT, my kids will not think I am such a freak anymore! ^^^ About to send your story posted here to them, to get some parent street credibility back! Oh yeah, super happy for you and your teams success with the app & FB deal.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ORDNorth
Man this just makes my day. FT has been an obsession for me for years . . . and to think of your story now JKB76, every time I mention FT, my kids will not think I am such a freak anymore! ^^^ About to send your story posted here to them, to get some parent street credibility back! Oh yeah, super happy for you and your teams success with the app & FB deal.
Agreed -just sent the link to my kids too BTW.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:48 pm

This is a nice article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyols...-billion-baby/
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I deleted the app as I found it completely useless and virus prone, but congrats on becoming a billionaire

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.