Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 29, 09, 9:57 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: WA State
Posts: 4,421
Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Point Icon in Task bar.

What does it mean?

When I put my curser over it I don't get any explanation.

I googled this and the answers are all over the place......

Thanks.
david4455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 10:01 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CLT
Posts: 6,337
Laptop or Desktop?

I only get that on my laptop when my battery is low.
gj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 10:20 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SRQ-NYC-DCA
Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Posts: 1,826
General Error

Often means a downloaded page contains an error

I have seen it pop up with other error messages

or internet service irregularity
__________________

Chic
CHIC SILBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 11:37 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: n.y.c.
Programs: I have elite status. Yaay for me.
Posts: 12,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
What does it mean?

When I put my curser over it I don't get any explanation.

I googled this and the answers are all over the place......

Thanks.
It's probably part of the Windows Update feature. What does it say if you right-click on it?
nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 7:19 am   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: WA State
Posts: 4,421
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
It's probably part of the Windows Update feature. What does it say if you right-click on it?
That is the problem....nothing.

And when I go to the task bar properties it too is unlabeled and offers no information.

This morning when I re-booted the icon is gone.....
david4455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 8:17 am   #6
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Easton, CT, USA
Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Posts: 31,820
It was a warning message probably for an application or task that crashed, leaving the icon in the system tray. It lost the connection to the application that put it there, so when you right or left clicked on it, there was no information for it to display.
__________________
Mike Cordelli mike@cordelli.com
cordelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 8:23 am   #7
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: WA State
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
It was a warning message probably for an application or task that crashed, leaving the icon in the system tray. It lost the connection to the application that put it there, so when you right or left clicked on it, there was no information for it to display.
thanks
david4455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 9:51 am   #8
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
What does it mean?

When I put my curser over it I don't get any explanation.

I googled this and the answers are all over the place......

Thanks.
It's a sign of caution, drawing your attention to something you need to do, like install your updates, low battery, or you did not turn on some critical feature of your anti-virus software etc.
Yaatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 11:07 am   #9
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 61,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
It was a warning message probably for an application or task that crashed, leaving the icon in the system tray. It lost the connection to the application that put it there, so when you right or left clicked on it, there was no information for it to display.
An icon associated with a crashed app will simply disappear on a mouseover event. If the OP was able to hover on it and it remained visible then it wasn't a crashed app.
sbm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 11:26 am   #10
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Easton, CT, USA
Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Posts: 31,820
If it's really bothering you, it is probably got a line listed in the event viewer listing what the issue was. Under system probably all the yellow triangles will be listed with more details of what caused them.

If you double click on the error line, a more detailed message (or more confusing will come up)
__________________
Mike Cordelli mike@cordelli.com
cordelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 2:59 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: yyz
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
What does it mean?

When I put my curser over it I don't get any explanation.

I googled this and the answers are all over the place......

Thanks.
Do you mean the triangle on the status bar? Double click it for more info.

I use a Hosts file to block adware and see this icon regularly.
PropWasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 3:28 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Posts: 1,903
Remember the Sandra Bullock movie 'The Net'? You're in big trouble now....
wiredboy10003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 12, 11:02 am   #13
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
If it's really bothering you, it is probably got a line listed in the event viewer listing what the issue was. Under system probably all the yellow triangles will be listed with more details of what caused them.

If you double click on the error line, a more detailed message (or more confusing will come up)
And here's the correct answer. I found the two events I came here to ask about. Just wish I knew how to make the icon go away without having to restart....
SteveCampsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 12, 10:00 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LON, ACK, BOS..... (Not necessarily in that order)
Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Posts: 10,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCampsOut View Post
And here's the correct answer. I found the two events I came here to ask about. Just wish I knew how to make the icon go away without having to restart....
Welcome to FT!
__________________
You get what you inspect not what you expect
Jimmie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.