using Sirius/XM satellite radio in Europe

Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by bukzin
Thanks for the reminder. Guess that means its close enough
for the sat signal to make it.

Those of us flying down from California feel like we
are flying 3000 miles to get to Cancun!
When I was in Trinidad, we were just South of Sirius's farthest coverage area. You could kinda of sorta get a signal if you stood on a ledge in Tobago and pointed it, but it didn't work Port of Spain.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
The title of the thread is "will it work in Europe" - so my post was indeed correct. I have no idea how this thread turned into questions about Mexico.

You asked "will it work in Europe" - I said no - then you said I am wrong, it does work in Mexico.

Notice why I may be a tad confused?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The point I so poorly made was, the maps and info on some of the
company web sites may not give a true indications of coverage.

If the signal gets much further than XM says it does, good for us.

My sat radio and ext antenna are small and light
so I will continue to travel with them and report where they
can work.

Thanks

Last edited by bukzin; Dec 6, 2010 at 11:38 pm
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:53 pm
Princess Cruiser

post delete. See below.

Last edited by Princess Cruiser; Mar 26, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I took my XM/Sirius radio to Germany this summer and it didn't work. Didn't work in the Netherlands either. There's just no coverage.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
It will not work. Why not add "Not" before the thread title and/or close this thread.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Analise
I took my XM/Sirius radio to Germany this summer and it didn't work. Didn't work in the Netherlands either. There's just no coverage.
so, there is no chance to get any other signal from xm/sirius radio when you are in europe? no sound at all?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milan170480
so, there is no chance to get any other signal from xm/sirius radio when you are in europe? no sound at all?
No. The satellite footprint is centered on North America. It's possible to get signal in parts of the Caribbean, northern Mexico, and southern Canada but that's about it. The satellite antennae don't point anywhere else.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
No. The satellite footprint is centered on North America. It's possible to get signal in parts of the Caribbean, northern Mexico, and southern Canada but that's about it. The satellite antennae don't point anywhere else.
Not True. I live in Mount Pearl, Newfoundland close to St. John's. I subscribed to Sirius XM Canada yesterday. Granted I had to fling the antenna up on the roof and string it through a window, with it closed on the wire, to get a signal at all from home. From the Coverage Map it seems like Newfoundland is just within coveraged area but cut off after here. You can see Newfoundland on the coverage map and how it just makes it to the Eastern Coast of here. I'm getting a GREAT reception.

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=siriusxm+coverage+map&oq=Sir ius+XM+Cover&gs_l=tablet-gws.1.0.0i10l3.626.8999.0.10411.16.14.0.2.2.0.682. 2953.0j7j2j1j1j1.12.0....0...1c.1.64.tablet-gws..2.14.2967.0.nwrKjaHc6eg#imgrc=Gms02TLFSO9VmM% 3A

Last edited by jfoley85; Mar 25, 2016 at 7:03 pm
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD

Someone just posted something about "not true" being able to get signal in Newfoundland but honestly from a latitudinal standpoint I think NFL falls into the southern Canada area
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:02 pm
Princess Cruiser

Sirius signal travels all the way south to Aruba and Venezuela

I picked up the Sirius (not XM) satellite signal perfectly on my cruise ship balcony while we were docked in Oranjestad, Aruba. Aruba is just north of the Venezuela coast. Sirius satellite radio is also easily receivable in the Canal Zone.

Venezuela coast

Last edited by Princess Cruiser; Mar 26, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:07 am

Canada is officially covered by Sirius. It has Canadian plans, includes the CBC and a fair amount of Canadian oriented content, etc. It is not bleed over coverage there. Therefore, being able to receive it in the Province of Newfoundland is no surprise. I suspect that places like Newfoundland is where Sirius service is the most compelling.

I have a post in this thread or a related thread about being able to use Sirius from my balcony in Tobago. I tried on a lark from Central London UK and no dice. I tried it on a balcony with a good line of sight. Nadda.

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3570/~/where-can-i-listen-to-siriusxm%3F
http://www.siriusxm.ca/what-is-siriusxm/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.