Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

using Sirius/XM satellite radio in Europe

using Sirius/XM satellite radio in Europe

Old Aug 4, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
get the online service, they'll actually give it to you for a month (or three months for free), or get the annual plan at 77$, then add it for a year for 25$. Either way, then you can listed on the iphone, android, blackberry, etc.
Are you basing this on experience ? I've seen some US on-line stuff blocked in Europe. But I'll sign up immediately if this is your actual experience - super.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:03 am

Although the Sirius satellites are in eccentric orbits (to provide better coverage over the US) the uplink is in the US. If they can't see the uplink site, they won't be broadcasting. The ground track is strictly over the Americas, so you won't be able to get Sirius at all in Europe.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
The wikipedia side has a nice picture of the satellite coverage and you will understand why it will work in Mexico but not in Europe Siruis Satellites
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Several non-U.S.-based members of one of my online Opera forums have reported in the past that that they listen to (and record) Metropolitan Opera streams on Sirius Channel 78 (The Met Channel) using the online service.

I searched the archives of that forum, and found reports from members in the UK and Australia who reported that they regularly listen to the Met channel using the Internet service.

They usually offer a 7-day (or longer) free trial - why not give it a try?

BTW - I have an online subscription, and plan to try it out for myself next month when the Met season opens while I am in Spain.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
That unofficial coverage map shows the truth. Sirius can't stop the satellite waves from crossing the US border to Mexico or the Caribbean. I have been to Los Cabos, Cancun, and Jamaica and my portable satellite radio worked fine (had some reception problems) but did work.

As a side note, if you were interested in European/African satellite radio you would have wanted to check out 1worldspacce, but they went bankrupt and have stopped service. Too bad
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:29 am

Here's a twist (maybe)-If you had an Iphone with cell connectivity in France, couldn't you use the Sirius Iphone app to get Sirius? I think the Iphone app goes over the cell network and hooks up with Sirius via the internet. Since I can get Sirius over the internet in France, wouldn't I be able to get in in my car using an Iphone and the Sirius app?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Here's a twist (maybe)-If you had an Iphone with cell connectivity in France, couldn't you use the Sirius Iphone app to get Sirius? I think the Iphone app goes over the cell network and hooks up with Sirius via the internet. Since I can get Sirius over the internet in France, wouldn't I be able to get in in my car using an Iphone and the Sirius app?
That's a really good point! I would think that you are able to, because when they offer the Sirius Online listening package they are touting that it is worldwide. They are now selling a special holster and connectivity kit for your iPhone to your car stereo. ^
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Austin Winters
That's a really good point! I would think that you are able to, because when they offer the Sirius Online listening package they are touting that it is worldwide. They are now selling a special holster and connectivity kit for your iPhone to your car stereo. ^
However.................

Since you'll be connecting over your cell network, you'll be using cell minutes the whole way which means beaucoup minutes and Euros, especially since unlimited plans in Europe are rare.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:09 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
However.................

Since you'll be connecting over your cell network, you'll be using cell minutes the whole way which means beaucoup minutes and Euros, especially since unlimited plans in Europe are rare.
You would be using cell data, not cell minutes. Still potentially financially scary.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Oxb
You would be using cell data, not cell minutes. Still potentially financially scary.
^

I currently use my Satellite Radio application on my BlackBerry in Canada where I have 500mb per month in data. I have used my Satellite Radio at a rate of 1mb per minute which lead to 500 minutes of airtime. I have never gone over, but that should give you an idea on how much data is actually used.

You could also consider getting an unlimited data plan. Unfortunately they are slowly but surely fading away in the US and are inexistant in Canada, but if you can find one it would be very wise to scoop it up imo!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Sirius Internet Radio. Doesn't have as many channels but it's still pretty decent.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Sirius Internet Radio. Doesn't have as many channels but it's still pretty decent.
What's it missing
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Braniff
I've seen some US on-line stuff blocked in Europe.
I haven't. It would be censorship. But I have seen some US providers block access for Europeans.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by tsastor
I haven't. It would be censorship. But I have seen some US providers block access for Europeans.
I've. Been able to access Sirius online in Europe, though it has been a year or so now.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I've. Been able to access Sirius online in Europe, though it has been a year or so now.
Update and confirmation: I'm listening to the live Sirius broadcast of 'Rigoletto' from the Metropolitan Opera right now, on Sirius Channel 78. Login and start-up of the player were completely normal, sound quality is very good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.