Search

mikegyver MacBook MagSafe adapter sometimes shuts down iGo Juice 70

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:09 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
mikegyver MacBook MagSafe adapter sometimes shuts down iGo Juice 70

I recently did the mikegyver.com DIY conversion for my Apple MacBook Pro and iGo Juice 70 and it's worked great on a number of AA flights up until yesterday.

I was flying an MD80 in F and my iGo kept 'shutting down' whenever I tried to use it with my laptop (charged my iPod fine with no problems). Basically, it would work for a few seconds, then the blue power light on the iGo would fade out (both with or without the iPod plugged into the iGo). I confirmed that this was not due to a loose connection (cf. iPod) and only happened after connecting the MagSafe to my laptop. If I unplugged the cigarette adapter from the power socket for at least 10-15 seconds, then the iGo would light up again. Everything still works fine at home (both laptop and iPod simultaneous) on the wall plug.

I was wondering if anyone else has observed this? Is this a general problem, or could this have to do with the power limitations on that particular plane?

(I found several threads on the general topic, but none that addressed this specific issue.)
Old Mar 22, 2009, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say it was due to the adapter drawing too much power from the outlet.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

There's also this note on the mikegyver Q&A page:

http://mikegyver.com/support/magsafeQA/index.html
Q: The light on the iGo goes out right after plugging in the magsafe. why?
A: iGo have a different way of powering up. You must plugs everything in first, then AC cable last.
I'm fairly sure I had everything plugged in before the cigarette adapter (at least after the iGo went down the first time), but not 100% sure. I'll have to check this for sure when I fly again next month.

That page also says that the iGo does not have a lower power shutoff (in reference to use with solar panels), so maybe it was the powerup issue.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dstan
That page also says that the iGo does not have a lower power shutoff (in reference to use with solar panels), so maybe it was the powerup issue.
It is possible that the outlet breaker is tripping, not that the iGo is deciding to shut itself down. It will reset when you pull the plug out and then trip again when you plug back in. That's what I'd bet on.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Apple MacBook Pro

That's your problem right there. The MacBook Pro has an input wattage of 85 watts (look at the fine print on your AC adapter brick). AA's in-seat power is 75 watts maximum. So, the system senses that you are trying to draw too much power and automatically shuts off the port to prevent systemwide problems. Has happened to me many times on AA.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is possible that the outlet breaker is tripping, not that the iGo is deciding to shut itself down. It will reset when you pull the plug out and then trip again when you plug back in. That's what I'd bet on.
Originally Posted by ESpen36
That's your problem right there. The MacBook Pro has an input wattage of 85 watts (look at the fine print on your AC adapter brick). AA's in-seat power is 75 watts maximum. So, the system senses that you are trying to draw too much power and automatically shuts off the port to prevent systemwide problems. Has happened to me many times on AA.
Could be - I didn't check carefully to see if the green powerport light was out before unplugging. However, immediately after unplugging, I did see that the light was on and plugging the iGo back in did not power it up. So, it really seemed like something in the iGo needed time to reset as opposed to the powerport.

ESpen36, are you using the Apple adapter or a MagSafe conversion? The iGo Juice is supposed to output 70W continuous, although peak can go to 84W: http://www.igo.com/detail/IGO%20PS00055-0003
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:38 pm

That's your problem right there. The MacBook Pro has an input wattage of 85 watts (look at the fine print on your AC adapter brick).
almost. the power adapter supplied with the macbook pro is rated at 85 watts output, but the macbook pro itself does not always use that much. in fact, it will run fine using the 60 watt macbook (non-pro) power adapter, which is within the limits of the seat power outlet. there's no risk in overheating the smaller power adapter because magsafe tells the computer how much power the adapter can supply (which is why the mcgyver adapter can sometimes have problems).

in any event, the best solution for airline use is to get apple's airline adapter. it's small and there's no fussing with inverters and adapters. the only drawback (and a stupid one) is that it only powers the computer; the battery does not recharge.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdxer
in any event, the best solution for airline use is to get apple's airline adapter. it's small and there's no fussing with inverters and adapters. the only drawback (and a stupid one) is that it only powers the computer; the battery does not recharge.
Yeah, I have that, too, and may need to add it back to my bag as a backup.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ESpen36, are you using the Apple adapter or a MagSafe conversion? The iGo Juice is supposed to output 70W continuous, although peak can go to 84W: http://www.igo.com/detail/IGO%20PS00055-0003

I'm using the standard 85W MacSafe AC Adapter that came with the laptop. I tried several DC/AC inverters of various brands until I found one that either modulates the power somehow or tricks the adapter into thinking that it's getting 85W when it's actually getting less. In any event, I've found a solution. I'm going to keep the brand name anonymous. But it's a major mobile power accessory company that you've heard of.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm going to keep the brand name anonymous.
Why?? That doesn't seem very helpful.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Why?? That doesn't seem very helpful.
I'd rather not have the airline (which follows FT) go after the manufacturer for having a device that allows me to use an 85W adapter (for running AND charging) when it's supposed to be limited to 75W.

PM me if you want to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.